Anyone watched AJ Agazarm vs Ethan Crelinsten?

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Question about the overtime. During these 5 minutes Ethan was throwing sub attempts left and right, AJ looked like he only tried to survive, yet the decision went to him. Why?

He lost by a -1...it was not a decision. Some of the DDS did not seem to make good decisions when it came to the -1 aspect of the ADCC rules.

Question about the overtime. During these 5 minutes Ethan was throwing sub attempts left and right, AJ looked like he only tried to survive, yet the decision went to him. Why?
He won because of the score, not because of a ref decision. Sub attempts don't count for points in ADCC so since Ethan was on bottom his 2 options to win would've been to submit AJ or sweep him.

He won because of the score, not because of a ref decision. Sub attempts don't count for points in ADCC so since Ethan was on bottom his 2 options to win would've been to submit AJ or sweep him.

I'd also note that more experienced competitors did a better job at this ADCC of going for sub attempts while still keeping track of safe positioning, either by turtling after the sub or rolling through and standing back up.

I'd also note that more experienced competitors did a better job at this ADCC of going for sub attempts while still keeping track of safe positioning, either by turtling after the sub or rolling through and standing back up.

You mean when going for them from the bottom? Or bottom and top?

You mean when going for them from the bottom? Or bottom and top?

I mean from top to bottom; for example, I saw Lovato jump a guillotine but when it wasn't there he expertly transitioned to a front headlock and used it to stand back up. Of course, a common tactic also seemed to be shooting for leglocks as means of gaining top position or getting out of a bad bottom position. Felipe Pena vs. Gordon Ryan by getting into 50/50 and running through a complex positional sequence that ended with him on top with Ryan's legs committed.

I see. Thanks guys.

@jaysculls, @mataleaos, @trustdoesntrust
But still don't know why AJ got 2 points in the overtime?

According to the ADCC rules :

Passing the guard = 3 points
• Knee on stomach = 2 points
• Mount position = 2 points
• Back mount with hooks = 3 points
• Takedown (ends Guard or Half Guard) = 2 points
• Clean Takedown (ends passed the guard) = 4 points
• Sweeps (ends Guard or Half Guard) = 2 points
• Clean Sweep (ends passed the guard) = 4 points

I didn't see him do any of the above. He got awarded 2 points (I think it was +points) when he escaped a sub. I wouldn't count it as a takedown of any sort.
Can someone rewatch it and tell me how he got those 2 points?

Those rules suck btw. You can almost submit your opponent, make him fight for his life for the entire time and if he just manages to take you down he wins, lol.

Now I can see the 1 point, I guess negative point, but for what did he get that? I didn't see him do any of the below. He DID sat down, but after the ref told him to do so, AJ did that as well.

• When a fighter voluntarily jumps in the guard or goes from standing position to a non-standing position by any means and remains down for 3 seconds or more, he will be punished by a minus point.
• When a fighter disengages from contact and starts backing up and avoids engaging again he will be punished by minus point.
• A passive fighter will be warned twice and then will be punished by minus point. The referee will warn the passive player by the wards “WARNING PASSIVITY” – after the first minus given there are not going to be any more warnings and the minus points will be given right-away if the fighter continues to be passive.
• If a fighter is very passive during the first half of the regular fights when there are no minuses, the referees will still give him WARNINGs for passivity and will punish him with a negative point when the second half of the fight starts!
• If two fighters (team-mates) make a fixed fight, they will both be disqualified from the tournament.

Back