Anyone watch the Crossfit Games finals? The female winner is an Olympian lifter

pretty much (in fact from what I've seen) all the top tier crossfit athletes are former top level athletes from other sports. I have yet to see anyone that was exclusively a crossfitter breakout. I trained at a crossfit gym that was part of a MMA gym and did the classes for a little over a year, first off the people that competed in real competitions (as opposed to the little in house events) almost NEVER did the crossfit classes, or if they did it, they didn't follow the WOD completely. The people that excelled were all former athletes from other sports. I quit basically because injuries were just becoming too frequent, like doing sprints immediately doing heavy deadlifts. It was a matter of "run all out and pull a hamstring, or just run at 3/4 speed and hope I didn't pull a hamstring".
yup, you dont see anyone in the crossfit games finals who was just a random joe or jane in the top, most of them were life long athletes not top level but many played sports since child hood, that guy Froning was a star high school and collegiate athlete excelling in baseball and football I believe.

I never do crossfit, I only cross train and do circuit routines, I see no point in destroying your joints with high reps as fast as possible.

are you referring to clembuterol?

There’s a lot more than that. Clen is generally ”safe-ish” so it’s around, but more for weight loss than anything. Most guys/gals were taking heftier stuff. I was in a pretty competitive box, however, I was just a walk in. I was having trouble maintaining strength while doing Muay Thai and BJJ. One day after a workout the owner(s) Approached me and asked what my goals were. I just told them I was trying to get my anarobic capacity up and get some strength. I then started getting some very low key offers and a few overt ones. I mean, you look around and if you’ve been in gyms in any capacity for prolonged periods of time, you can clearly see that these dudes aren’t just snorting creatine and whey off each other’s boners.

yup, you dont see anyone in the crossfit games finals who was just a random joe or jane in the top, most of them were life long athletes not top level but many played sports since child hood, that guy Froning was a star high school and collegiate athlete excelling in baseball and football I believe.

I never do crossfit, I only cross train and do circuit routines, I see no point in destroying your joints with high reps as fast as possible.

To be fair, that's going to be fairly common in powerlifting, strongman, and olympic lifting. Most are going to do traditional sports throughout their youth. Many of the best female oly lifters in the US had a background in something like gymnastics.

There’s a lot more than that. Clen is generally ”safe-ish” so it’s around, but more for weight loss than anything. Most guys/gals were taking heftier stuff. I was in a pretty competitive box, however, I was just a walk in. I was having trouble maintaining strength while doing Muay Thai and BJJ. One day after a workout the owner(s) Approached me and asked what my goals were. I just told them I was trying to get my anarobic capacity up and get some strength. I then started getting some very low key offers and a few overt ones. I mean, you look around and if you’ve been in gyms in any capacity for prolonged periods of time, you can clearly see that these dudes aren’t just snorting creatine and whey off each other’s boners.
I only mentioned clembuterol because that is what most Mexican athletes get caught doing you referenced "mexican horse meat" in your last post.

I have no problem with some of the tenants of Crossfit. I do appreciate that it has raised awareness in Olympic lifts and has done a lot to encourage women to lift free weights. It has also created more interest in HIIT workouts. I also appreciate some of the gymnastic/calisthenics aspects they encourage. The "total randomness" is really bullshit though, it doesn't promote good advancement or gains and I think is just as much a part of the injury problem as the failure for many of the gyms to practice poor form, added to the fact that things like Olympic barbell lifts are not the best things to be doing at high reps with half assed form for time.

As far as the science behind crossfits beliefs they are a superior training method, I read an article over the weekend where they did a study of performance of a group of people that were running as part of a crossfit enduro program which incorporates more running than normal crossfit classes and traditional running programs. Turned out the traditional running program participants had a better VO2 max than the crossfit enduro participants. I can't find the study at the moment it was one of those teaser news articles on my phone and all I did was a quick google search. If I can find it again I'll post it back here.

To be fair, that's going to be fairly common in powerlifting, strongman, and olympic lifting. Most are going to do traditional sports throughout their youth. Many of the best female oly lifters in the US had a background in something like gymnastics.
Do you think that has anything to do with the events they have for the women? I'm just curious if they tailor the events to promote a certain type of female athlete or if they have the women basically do the same workouts as the male competitors?
I've never really paid much attention to the layout of the competitions, I pretty much just watch on occasion when I'm channel surfing and don't pay too close attention to it. or to put it more bluntly I'm sitting there with my hand on the remote saying "I'd do her, her, her, not her, not her, her, her and her" then change the channel because quite honestly the novelty of watching people work out on television wears out pretty quick. I occasionally do obstacle course races too and feel the same way about watching those on television.

th

Did Cross fit for a year it's a total waste of time and is complete bullshit. Switched to a simple free weight program and got in better shape while feeling much better.

Do you think that has anything to do with the events they have for the women? I'm just curious if they tailor the events to promote a certain type of female athlete or if they have the women basically do the same workouts as the male competitors?
I've never really paid much attention to the layout of the competitions, I pretty much just watch on occasion when I'm channel surfing and don't pay too close attention to it. or to put it more bluntly I'm sitting there with my hand on the remote saying "I'd do her, her, her, not her, not her, her, her and her" then change the channel because quite honestly the novelty of watching people work out on television wears out pretty quick. I occasionally do obstacle course races too and feel the same way about watching those on television.

Honestly, I don't really know enough on it for what particular events that they have most of the time. At the moment though, the male winner (Matt Fraser) as well as the female winner both have a background in olympic lifting. It seems as though they will always have olympic lifts, so it's almost a necessity. As someone who has tried doing olympic lifts along with my normal lifting, I can say that olympic lifts are not that easy to learn. The people with the background in olympic lifting have a decent enough base there that it frees up time to focus on other areas. Just a guess.

Honestly, I don't really know enough on it for what particular events that they have most of the time. At the moment though, the male winner (Matt Fraser) as well as the female winner both have a background in olympic lifting. It seems as though they will always have olympic lifts, so it's almost a necessity. As someone who has tried doing olympic lifts along with my normal lifting, I can say that olympic lifts are not that easy to learn. The people with the background in olympic lifting have a decent enough base there that it frees up time to focus on other areas. Just a guess.
I agree that Olympic lifting is really it's own specific skill. I'm probably in the same boat with possibly less skill than you when it comes to Olympic lifting. In many cases for conditioning and strength I'll do dumbbell or kettlebell version of the Olympic lifts since they are a lot more forgiving on technique but still give results. I also recommend that to the people that ask me for advice on the matter, then again I go to a gym that is predominately middle aged women that most of them still haven't figured out how to perform a barbell upright row.
No doubt Olympic lifting is one of bread and butter parts of the crossfit games workouts, I just wonder if they have the women do more agility and bodyweight components than the men. Guess it's something I'll actually have to pay attention to if I want an answer................. which in most likelihood I'll forget about it after this thread.

As lame as Crossfit can be, i gotta admit they have some hot women. There was a thread on here a long time ago about the women of Crossfit, and it delivered.

As lame as Crossfit can be, i gotta admit they have some hot women. There was a thread on here a long time ago about the women of Crossfit, and it delivered.

This chick is smoking hot super thick legs
58a6d083ef9288f70ebd2aac4af5d40e.jpg

YyQwqSZ.jpg

Crossfit isn't lame...respectively disagree with that.

I understand the criticisms of it...

I've been doing it about 4 years and feel great, best shape I've been in for a while.

And you are 100 percent right. Crossfit women are hot.

That chick is deff juicing to the gills with traps like that.

and she's only a mediocre Australian weightlifter too- the commonwealth and anglo nations are the world's worst at weightlifting. Just imagine when true weightlifing beasts discover Crossfit.
scmp_oly_chn_meng_suping_lift_140816.jpg

f8bc126e4b4e191b5a9963.jpg

I wanna see these gigantic Slav and Chinese women dominate those soccer moms at Crossfit Games and leave the executives panicked as they struggle to market them.

LOL @ Bronze's receding hairline.

Back