Anyone Watch KASAI Pro?

kpoz12

The No Life King
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Garry Tonon didn't even make the podium (losing to Gianno Grippo in the bronze medal match), Gordan Ryan tapped Yuri with an RNC, and Murillo Santana beat Craig Jones on penalty points.

Thoughts?

Was really impressed by Gordon Ryan. Was even more surprised by Gianni. Never would have predicted that particular result.

Garry Tonon didn't even make the podium (losing to Gianno Grippo in the bronze medal match), Gordan Ryan tapped Yuri with an RNC, and Murillo Santana beat Craig Jones on penalty points.

Thoughts?

who else beat tonnon? how did gianni beat him?

who else beat tonnon? how did gianni beat him?

Points. Every time I watch Gianni I'm a bit befuddled-- he's a total master of the intermediate game like no other, but lacks the relentless back takes of the Miyaos or the relentless positional finishes of Marcelo Garcia. Thus, all his matches either seem to be 12-10 seesaws, or 0-0 advantage-feasts. I don't know if it's because of his lack of athleticism, or some killer instinct he lacks, but he always creates these great openings that he can't finish.

Ryan intends to go into MMA at some point right?

Could Garry's recent slide be due to him focusing more on MMA>?

As per his quote on Instagram after the event:
" I'm excited to announce I will be taking no grappling matches until after my first fight in @onechampionship,
it's been real BJJ world, I'll see you again someday soon, but now it's time to learn to beat someone up in a cage."

Last edited:

" I'm excited to announce I will be taking no grappling matches until after my first fight in @onechampionship,
it's been real BJJ world, I'll see you again someday soon, but now it's time to learn to beat someone up in a cage."
He also doesn’t seem to care about points.

Hard to characterize this as a "recent slide," seems more in line with how he's always been: always dangerous, well-rounded, hard-to-submit, but maybe slightly lacking the super-ultimate guard, passing, or wrestling sufficient to consistently defeat the best of the best.

Last edited:
He also doesn’t seem to care about points.

He has said himself that he really doesn't care about the points at all. He's just out there hunting for the submission like points aren't even a thing. It's one of the reasons I like watching him so much. There's a short documentary with him (I think it might be on FloGrappling) where he's in a match and down a bunch of points and pulls off a sub at the last second. In the next scene he says something like "Yeah, my team mates always say they like my competition style, but if I could maybe do it in a way where I'm not giving up a thousand points a match it would be better."

Thoughts?
On your spoiler?

I don't think much of it. I've always compared Tonon to this generation's Bill Cooper. Granted Cooper made the finals of the Mundials at black belt and was in his prime before sub only was much of a thing, but Coop was always a guy that could win it all by sub or lose in the first or second round on points. He just not only never played for points, but often made decisions that I would say made it likely that he would get scored on.

I see the same thing from Tonon sometimes in these ibjjf rules. And he has some success too. Tonon won nogi worlds before, right?

He just doesn't seem to care about adjusting his gameplan to ibjjf rules. I have a conflicting thought. One one hand you could argue that his game isn't fully effective across the board. But ultimately I respect very much guys and girls that go out there and always go for the finish even if it's not the optimal strategy.

Hard to characterize this as a "recent slide," seems more in line with how he's always been: always dangerous, well-rounded, hard-to-submit, but maybe slightly lacking the super-ultimate guard, passing, or wrestling sufficient to consistently defeat the best of the best.
You touched on a great point that I think is being overlooked: guard passing. I have studied Garry's game since he was a brown belt. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen him complete a clean pass, and count on two hands the times he's even tried them. He's one of the few competitors with a deadly top game that doesn't really consist of a clean passing game. Even as a brown belt when he was only finishign RNCs, he was

At least in a traditional sense Garry does not try to pass the guard. His top game involves a lot of rolling kimuras to the back or to armbars/triangles and he does some rolling front headlocks as well to hunt for front choke sequences. He does some double unders passing, but he does it in order to set up a truck roll to the back or an inside sankaku as they're stacked on their shoulders. Occasionally I've seen him try to pass from some lose toreando passing or from the back-step half guard.

Anyways. My point is that passing straight to side control, KOB, or mount is not a huge part of his game. Without that, in an IBJJF points match, he's either going to need the back, or he's either going to need to either

A: Sweep to the top with considerable time left and NOT go for any sacrifice techniques.

B: Be willing to do the see-saw sweep style and have the timing to let himself be on bottom with around 60 seconds left...enough time to sweep and not enough time to easily get swept back in return.

I don't see him doing either of those things, although in his wins over Grippo he did seem to be somewhat willing to play the see-saw game that Grippo likes and he won at least 2 of their 3 or 4 matches.

Back