Anyone wanting more weight classes in the Men's division is delusional.

like 170 or something yknow?
I have no problem with the way the divisions are now. I'm just saying it is far more sensible to add a fourth division between 155 and 190 than it is to add superheavyweight or cruiserweight that will cut into already thin divisions.

For example, breaking up the divisions something like this would lead to four stacked divisions fairly quickly. Superheavyweight would have like six guys.
LW = 155
Super LW = 165
WW = 175
MW = 185

It's the same reason adding a women's 125 is much more sensible than adding women's 145.

But why? To me it will just further ruin mma and weaken divisions.

Honestly if I was a pro fighter i'd like to think think I don't need to be babied to that degree. Also, there is a weight class between LW and MW it is WW (I am 100% sure you know this) but where would you add it? WW has guys like Cerrone who can compete and can easily fight at LW, likewise it had guys like GSP who admitted he could go down to LW if he dropped some muscle mass.

I mean with that being said. I do agree that there is a physical difference that seems to be noticeable along with a strength difference. Fighters at WW are often the same height as LW fighters but they are obviously heavier and with more muscle mass. Tyrone Woodley for instance is too big to make LW, but doesn't have the height and reach and frame to compete against naturally large 6'3 MW like Rockhold or 6'2 Weidman. So given that knowledge should Woodley continue to fight at WW or move up to MW?

Oh and Gatselum and Hendricks both 5'9 are now at MW, but they are carrying a higher % of body fat than Woodley hence their inability to easily make weight at 170lbs.
I didn't argue that it should be done. So I don't need to answer. I was just pointing out that though I do not think you are an idiot, you were wrong to suggest that anyone advocating for new divisions is delusional.

I didn't argue that it should be done. So I don't need to answer. I was just pointing out that though I do not think you are an idiot, you were wrong to suggest that anyone advocating for new divisions is delusional.

I just see them as naive if they want 10lb increments everywhere.

and thxs

So many weight classes are already paper thin.

More weight classes will NOT make for a better product.

With the exception of adding a SHW div. Why limit our ability to watch the sloppy monsters compete?

I'm totally fine with how things are right now but then again...i'm not a fighter. Even then if I was...I wouldn't kill myself to make a certain weight. If they were to add more i'd want these:

175(get rid of 170)
LHW turned to 205-225
HW turned to 226-265

I mean fuck, no HWs weigh less than 235 anyways.

155 185 185+

Only weight classes necessary.

Do minimal reading on the history of combat sports and you'll begin to understand why those intervals are so important.

Even with a 10lb difference you still get these crazy McGregor/Mendes disparities in size, reach and natural weight. It's crazy.

You'll never be able to eliminate it fully, but there is no reason why there should be 20lb jumps between classes.

People have the cheek to ask Jones to fight 265lb men when he walks around at roughly 220-230lbs? Just plain stupid.

What happened to this being ultimate fighting?

Some people want a weight class every 10lbs. LOL why?

And if that is the case what about a weight class for every 5lb difference?

I'd argue the weight classes should be reformed. This is what I would do.

125lbs

140lbs

155lbs

170lbs

190lbs

210lbs

265lbs

Terrible. There would be so many mismatches.

No it's not delusional. Boxing has been doing it for dozens of years. Ufc needs to squeeze in Three or four more weight classes b/w 135 and 205. 15-20 lb difference is ridiculous and does not account for the varieties of different- sized men

So many weight classes are already paper thin.

More weight classes will NOT make for a better product.

With the exception of adding a SHW div. Why limit our ability to watch the sloppy monsters compete?

No, SOME weight classes are paper thin. Others are congested. Just create classes where there are hundreds of fighter and log-jammed title contention lines (ww/lw/mw)

There are multiple competing objectives with the number of weight classes.

Ideally, you want to maximize the number of weight classes (for fighter health), while not diluting attention (on the part of fans), while having enough quality fighters per division (for product quality).

Those objectives bump into one another to some extent. Female 145 obviously fails on net (IMO).

Without doing the research, my guess is that if the UFC should have an extra division, it should be in the middle of the weight distribution somewhere, to help the tweeners who are kind of stuck between weight classes. But that is just a guess and would require careful study.

It's also one reason why I think the UFC should track fighter weight before they get into the cage. That would be useful to know.

I say 140, 160, 175, 190, 205, 225, SHW......That's one less men's class than there is currently, and most don't have to starve themselves to death anymore.

Back