Anyone use the trap bar / hex bar deadlift?

I use both a bar and hex bar for deadlifts. Just a different grip and weight placement. Hex bar seems more fluid.

I also do mainly front squats instead of back squats.
Because it's just a hands down squat.

It's way easier.

If one has zero interest in powerlifting, just football where would the hex bar fit in? As a dynamic assistance like weighted jumps? A a half way accessory for squats an deads?

I was thinking it might help build my quads up a bit as I can lift a lot heavier than I can squat with it, which would help in my deads an squats.

I'm seeing a decent amount of scorn for the use of it but not really much advice as to how it would provide useful work.

I actually only use the hex bar because it's the safest thing for your back, and it's superior to a bar.

I use weightlifting gloves and straps too.

Gonna start using gear soon so I can get a guaranteed boost in strength.

@Phlog
Trap bar is great, especially if your back is sore/fatigued. I like to sub it in for a few weeks in a rotation.

In a trad deadlift, the COM is distal to the body. This creates a greater risk of sheer force. (In biomechanics 4th year, we study this quite a bit actually). This isn't the most ideal place of stabilizing the core/spine.
A trap bar deadlift decreases this risk by placing the COM more central to the body. So if you're injured, or wishing to do some extra volume, conditioning work without fatiguing the low back, this is a beneficial movement to add/sub in periodically.

It's a tool in your toolbox, use it like any other.

Last edited:
The main issue with the jefferson is the shoulder position of the forward grip. I wouldn't say equal or safer to the conventional/hex bar at all. I'd sooner dealift off blocks/ rack pulls which sets the shoulders back as opposed to as forward. I'm not saying the conventional lift is bad, but having lowback fatigue/injuries, hex bar is a useful addition/temp replacement.

Hi, sorry to bump an older thread,
I spent a lot of time trying to get my barbell deadlift technique spot on. I bought a £200 hex bar half price and have been using it ever since.
The fact the weight is in-line with your body mass instead of in front of your legs, takes pressure off your lower back and allows you to lift a little heavier than you might expect.
If you're aiming for bigger traps this works better IMO, while also hitting your quads a bit more.
I will add, I don't squat the hex bar, I deadlift with it. Same technique basically with a barbell deadlift, only your grip is neutral.

I might be biased, having suffered some lower back injuries from conv deadlifts, but the trap bar pretty much solved everything for me.

Back Squats have always been insanely awkward to me aswell, no matter how much mobility or stretching I did. If I went ATG or even parallel, something had to go, either the heel on the floor or the back arch, if I maintained both, I would just fall backwards. It's 100% anthropometry-based, some people are not made to squat. As for deadlifts, I couldn't grab the bar without rounding my lower back.

The absolute best mix I have found after years and years of trial and error is the following: ditch conventional squats and deadlifts completely and never look back (probably have some people going nuts from this already). Unless you are a powerlifter, you don't need those lifts. And even if you are and they cause pain, is it worth it? The answer is no.

I train for power, athletism, speed. All those traits are quickly compromised when you are injured. Has any of you tried to go for a TD when your lower back is fucked? Good luck.

I don't believe there is a right set of exercises, it depends on everyone really. For me what worked is the following exercises/routine:

-Push:
main: Press (done standing, strict)
assistance: Dips, Weighted/Ring Pushups
hypertrophy/aesthetics: Lateral Raises, Tricep Pushdowns

-Pull:
main: Weighted Chin Ups (about an inch short of lockout, all the way up to the bar touching the upper chest)
assistanced: Inverted Rows (paused at the top), BW Chin Ups/Pull Ups
hypertrophy/aesthetics: Band Face Pulls (all kinds of variations)

-Lower:
main: Trap Deadlifts (no straps, no belt)
assistanced: GHR (can use bands), Lunges, Hill Sprints
core work: Back Extensions (bands), AB Roller, Plank variations

This is what worked for me, what works for you might be completely different, but I suggest you try it out.

I've now only deadlift occasionally. I am of the opinion that my height and lever lengths put me at a mechanical disadvantage conventional deadlifting.

I have no interest in powerlifting besides what it can give me, it's all about football.

I'm using hex and squats for strength development and then closer to the season I'll move to less unilateral movements.

I've never even seen a trap bar in any gym in Sweden. Seems like a mostly american contraption.

Last edited:
I've never even seen a trap bar in any gym in Sweden. Seems like a mostly american contraption.
Just buy one mate. Get a killer work out at home when have an hour free.
Single handed ones can be relatively cheap but I'd recommend double handed.

Back