Anyone suffer from depression?

I had some difficult times in my early twenties, nothing compared to what a lot of people have to deal with but it was enough that I was on medication for a little while. It’s always there in the background, and I have black days from time-to-time but nothing helps more than having someone who I’ve been able to talk about it with completely openly, and around whom I feel like I don’t have to put a brave face.

For me the hardest thing was trying to keep it hidden, and make everyone around me think I was fine. 95% of the people in my life either don’t know or have no idea about the extent of it, but those 5% who do make such a difference.

TS, I really get what you saying, as I am the same.

I had depression since I was 10, and I have suicidal thoughts everyday.
I tried medication, like you it numbs me and don't feel in control. I been to loads of therapy, doesn't work. It's not my diet as I eat very healthy and train and exercise a few times a week.

I seriously just want to die and disappear.
I know it's pathetic, I am working hard to stop feeling that way.

I just wanted to say that you are not alone, many people are depressed. I really hope you turn the corner. Keep us posted if anything works for you, as it might help me and others too.

I tried medication, like you it numbs me and don't feel in control. I been to loads of therapy, doesn't work. It's not my diet as I eat very healthy and train and exercise a few times a week.

I just wanted to say that you are not alone, many people are depressed. I really hope you turn the corner. Keep us posted if anything works for you, as it might help me and others too.

I find this fascinating. I just don't understand. I mean something must be causing the depression right? Or was there a specific time it started and something you could relate it to - maybe it's something indirect? I've definerely experience serious depression are various points in my life but there was always a clear cause (girl, money problems, lack of excitement, regrets.).

I find this fascinating. I just don't understand. I mean something must be causing the depression right? Or was there a specific time it started and something you could relate it to - maybe it's something indirect? I've definerely experience serious depression are various points in my life but there was always a clear cause (girl, money problems, lack of excitement, regrets.).

There's a difference between clinical depression and feeling depressed sometimes. It's a mental illness that is hard to understand unless you go through it.

Yeah and I don't wanna depress myself even more or drag anyone else down by talking about all my shit

giphy.gif

Suffer? No.

I rather enjoy my bouts of despair and hopelessness.

Said noone ever.

Same here man I think about dying every day as well, although I am mostly certain I'd never follow through because I don't want to be selfish.

I think a lot of it is caused by anxiety and stress, which leads to depression.

Weird thing is my life isn't that bad.. I am not some sob story with a horrible family or been abused.. I have an affordable house, decent job and have money in the bank. I have never taken medication, but not sure I would ever want to because I've only heard bad things.

There's a difference between clinical depression and feeling depressed sometimes. It's a mental illness that is hard to understand unless you go through it.

I think everyone feels the symptoms of depression sometimes. That's why I do not understand people who can't grasp others feeling depression or those that commit suicide. I think we've all had days where we woke up and literally nothing sounds fun or will bring you much enjoyment. Imagine feeling that most days.

That's the way that I look at it, at least. Maybe I'm off though. I'm not clinically depressed, but I've definitely had days like that.

I think everyone feels the symptoms of depression sometimes. That's why I do not understand people who can't grasp others feeling depression or those that commit suicide. I think we've all had days where we woke up and literally nothing sounds fun or will bring you much enjoyment. Imagine feeling that most days.

That's the way that I look at it, at least. Maybe I'm off though. I'm not clinically depressed, but I've definitely had days like that.

I think the problem is that people who feel depressed occasionally have the luxury of not feeling that way most days. That's why I regularly get told to just cheer up, because for most people, it's not particularly hard to stop being sad.

The most depressed a normal person gets is right around the baseline of how clinically depressed people feel every single day. Actual "good" days are pretty few and far between.

So, when people ask me about depression, the best I can tell them is: Think about the saddest you've ever been. Now imagine feeling like that every single day.

I think the problem is that people who feel depressed occasionally have the luxury of not feeling that way most days. That's why I regularly get told to just cheer up, because for most people, it's not particularly hard to stop being sad.

The most depressed a normal person gets is right around the baseline of how clinically depressed people feel every single day. Actual "good" days are pretty few and far between.

So, when people ask me about depression, the best I can tell them is: Think about the saddest you've ever been. Now imagine feeling like that every single day.

To me, it's not even necessarily about feeling sad.. it's more like just having no joy in anything and an overbearing feeling of dread, anxiety and stress where you just want to sleep or be dead so it all stops.

To me, it's not even necessarily about feeling sad.. it's more like just having no joy in anything and an overbearing feeling of dread, anxiety and stress where you just want to sleep or be dead so it all stops.

Oh for sure. I'm mostly numb most of the time. But I think those of us who suffer from depression are just sort of used to it. A normal person might describe this feeling as "profound sadness". That's not all it is, though. It's a package deal that's really hard to explain.

I think a lot of people do. Online, it manifests as being an asshole. It is more common than people believe, but there is a stigma surrounding mental health.

Oh for sure. I'm mostly numb most of the time. But I think those of us who suffer from depression are just sort of used to it. A normal person might describe this feeling as "profound sadness". That's not all it is, though. It's a package deal that's really hard to explain.
I'm sure a lot of people don't feel depression in the same way as others too due to multiple other mental illnesses or different problems going on in their life. It makes it that much harder to explain because one person could give them a totally different answer to another.

Lately I wouldn't say I'm depressed but I've been thinking it wouldn't be so bad to die. Just because I'm so tired of the day to day monatany and bordeem.

The only thing that gets my goat any more is extreme risk/adrenaline surge.

I come from latter epoch of "Generation Stoic",so i don't feel good talking about this.

But having looked at the suicide rates among men in the west recently (wtf is going on with white men? Wow...) and having a few friends over the years that had to spend some time in the squirrelhouse, it's good to see threads like this. It's a reminder for me that it's okay to drydock your psyche once in a while, and scrape the barnacles off with church, chocolate milk, hookup sex, mens leauge basketball, and a new weed connect. (One that actually responds to your texts within ten minutes AND delivers.)

Some days I get an entire ill season in a single day. Everyone does, but ith me it comes as a profound fatigue. Everything is extra...harder to move and think. It's more than lethargy; It feels as if someone turned up the gravitational pull to the magnitude of three extra Earth's weighing down on my shit. While i can still rock my facade and Uncle Tom like a champ when required, at some point I eventually get so tired of the daily passion play that i find myself thinking: "I won't fight it it when it comes." And that thought gives me an unholy sense of relief. Joy, even.

My job does gives me a bit of perspective about my lot in life: Some of my clients are non-verbal, or are in their early teens and have to wear pullups, and have their bus passes hanging around their necks. "As awful as I feel, I be could much worse off than I am right now." It's like consoling yourself by guilt tripping yourself into acknowledging what a selfish whiny bitch you've been.

But even still, sometimes that even that perspective loses it's effacy : "Is this all there is? Suffering,or acknowledgement of anothers suffering?"

I think if there is a benefit to depression, it's that it's a signal that something is critcally amiss. There is a lot of resources and support out there so whatever you can pull out of your quiver can be balm against that dark cloud when it comes. Keep Well TS!

Last edited:
I have been for the last 2-3yrs. It came out of no where. I havent seen a head dr but my reg one have given me antidepressants that take daily. they help somewhat but mostly just make me yawn alot. I am not sure if i want to ask for something else or keep using the same. Been on them for over a yr now. it sucks

Six years. My current bout of severe depression has lasted six fuckin years. People think they can understand what that's like, but there's no comparison to simply having a bad week.

Six years. My current bout of severe depression has lasted six fuckin years. People think they can understand what that's like, but there's no comparison to simply having a bad week.

I'm in the same boat, bud. I'd never wish it on anyone, but I do wish people could understand it. Without having to suffer, of course.

I'm in the same boat, bud. I'd never wish it on anyone, but I do wish people could understand it. Without having to suffer, of course.
Probably the most frustrating part for me is people assuming you're not trying to get better. I moved across country to reconnect with my family, went back to school, got on meds again and went to therapy. Was doing mindfulness meditation and trying to watch my diet etc.

Nothing worked. Still trying though, but I'm so tired at this point. If I had the means I'd probably just sleep eighteen hours a day and just wait for death.

Another shit thing about depression is the side effects from the meds. Stuff like your stomach and
I have been for the last 2-3yrs. It came out of no where. I havent seen a head dr but my reg one have given me antidepressants that take daily. they help somewhat but mostly just make me yawn alot. I am not sure if i want to ask for something else or keep using the same. Been on them for over a yr now. it sucks

Don't be afraid to tell your GP that the antis are not working, if they're not working. It can take a while to find the right type and dosage. personally, I'd be hesistant to try more than two or three, but hoping dosage can make a huge difference. Only things is the side effects can be hell.

Back