Anyone remember "South Park Republican" and identify as such

I hate conservatives because they're idiots.

I hate liberals because they're idiots, but are convinced that they're geniuses.
You think Conservatives consider themselves idiots?

They obviously think they're geniuses too

I think it's weird when people say they hate party A, but because they REALLY HATE party B, they are a member of party A.

Why would someone be a part of something they hate? You know you have the option of not being a part of either party, and not pushing either party's nonsense. There are not actually only two distinct sets of beliefs.
This is pretty much why I hesitate to align myself with any party

I'm not exactly sure what the question is asking. I agree with the quote, but I don't watch south park for that to be the reason. Not liberal on abortions though and I think I might have different views on what qualifies as "rights" for the LGBT crowd. Be as gay or tranny as you want and I have no problem, but I jump ship when it turns into flopping your wiener out in girls' locker rooms or playing sports with chicks.

I think it's weird when people say they hate party A, but because they REALLY HATE party B, they are a member of party A.

Why would someone be a part of something they hate? You know you have the option of not being a part of either party, and not pushing either party's nonsense. There are not actually only two distinct sets of beliefs.
Cause you have limited choices, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about that. On the one hand, it limits your choices, but it also means that the person holding office didn't get a a small percentage of the vote. Some countries run it like a tournament bracket, and I guess the US does as well to a lesser extent with primaries, but it's still rarely someone most people wanted.

Cause you have limited choices, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about that. On the one hand, it limits your choices, but it also means that the person holding office didn't get a a small percentage of the vote. Some countries run it like a tournament bracket, and I guess the US does as well to a lesser extent with primaries, but it's still rarely someone most people wanted.

I am not saying that it is strange to vote for a candidate that you do not fully agree with. I think that is basically unavoidable in our system.

I am talking about people who choose a political party and modify their own principles to fit whatever that party is saying at that given moment just because that is the party they have chosen to throw their support behind.

We have actually seen posters on this site change their principles on dime when their favorite candidate does. Imagine having your principles dictated to you by some politician. That is very strange to me.

Hey @Jack V Savage who was the poster Who was praising Trump for not bombing Syria right up until the moment that Trump bombed Syria and then applauded him for it? Completely changing his principles within like a five minute time frame.

<{Joewithit}>

I'm not exactly sure what the question is asking. I agree with the quote, but I don't watch south park for that to be the reason. Not liberal on abortions though and I think I might have different views on what qualifies as "rights" for the LGBT crowd. Be as gay or tranny as you want and I have no problem, but I jump ship when it turns into flopping your wiener out in girls' locker rooms or playing sports with chicks.
well, there are people in the LGBT movement who just want to drop the T because of the BS

both parties talk about peoples freedom then go on to list what freedoms you are allowed to have.

This is a frustration I somewhat have in that the social issues spectrum isn't just two ends and you can clearly see it with the parties we have. If that were true, a libertarians stances would align with a liberals but they don't.

South Park is spot on with satire and though I agree they do lean right, the show itself:
-Follows the rule that no person/group is off limits from being made fun of (which can seem like to the right by being less "PC" but they definitely make fun of rural republicans etc as well)
-Understands how to play the double sided joke. This is something the Colbert report was great at as well where a joke can be told and both sides laugh at it for different reasons. A perfect example of this was the episode where everyone owned a gun. A liberal and a conservative would both laugh at that for completely different reasons

I definitely think there is something to that classification.

This is pretty much why I hesitate to align myself with any party

I agree with this aside from the fact that some states you may have to register for a party to be allowed to participate in the primary process and also, you likely will have to pick on of those party's candidates in the general. Aside from that, I don't think a person should ever feel loyal to a specific party. That's a horrible idea that leads to no longer thinking for yourself which is why this place often looks silly when you get posters who will defend a specific politician to death instead of just admitting there are positions they agree and disagree with them on but ultimately as a whole, they ended up supporting them out of the options presented.

well, there are people in the LGBT movement who just want to drop the T because of the BS
I don't doubt that. Shit went off the rails fast. It went from a pretty reasonable discussion about gays getting married to suddenly a bunch of trannies running in wanting to beat chicks at sports and then jiggle their dick at them in the locker room. Then they took the people willing to go with it and tested them further by straight up inventing genders. I'd guess it's about half that went along for the ride, but even gay married former young turk employee Dave Rubin tapped out.

I am not saying that it is strange to vote for a candidate that you do not fully agree with. I think that is basically unavoidable in our system.

I am talking about people who choose a political party and modify their own principles to fit whatever that party is saying at that given moment just because that is the party they have chosen to throw their support behind.

We have actually seen posters on this site change their principles on dime when their favorite candidate does. Imagine having your principles dictated to you by some politician. That is very strange to me.

Hey @Jack V Savage who was the poster Who was praising Trump for not bombing Syria right up until the moment that Trump bombed Syria and then applauded him for it? Completely changing his principles within like a five minute time frame.
I think it's unavoidable in any system. I don't get the people who do change principles when a politician does, but I can see how it would happen when information is biased too. Being able to convincingly argue both sides of an issue is pretty early in any debate class.

I don't think South Park is a funny show at all. And a I'm a grown man who thinks farts, the 3 Stooges, and Howard Stern are hilarious.

Far be it from me to dissuade someone from informing their political world view with a cartoon.

I remember that term being used 10-15 years ago, and the book of the same name, but never identified as such. I wasn't a Republican at the time. I probably never would have become a Republican if I still lived in a state with open primaries. But although I've never identified as such, I think the term could be applicable or at least accurate, and the quotes from the show's creators on the topic really resonate with me.

I don't doubt that. Shit went off the rails fast. It went from a pretty reasonable discussion about gays getting married to suddenly a bunch of trannies running in wanting to beat chicks at sports and then jiggle their dick at them in the locker room. Then they took the people willing to go with it and tested them further by straight up inventing genders. I'd guess it's about half that went along for the ride, but even gay married former young turk employee Dave Rubin tapped out.
I could identify as a Dave Rubin Republican too. I watch his show much more religiously than South Park. Or a Joe Rogan Republican. :)

The worldview of SPR's and libertarians can be summed up pretty simply:

"I don't give a fuck about you, your life or what you do with it. Just leave me alone, too. Above all, do not ask me for any financial help."

It's a very high-minded, nuanced and enlightened political philosophy.
“Moderate libertarians” are the fucking worst, too, because they refuse to recognize the blatant contradiction between their professed ideology and the state of the society they wish to enjoy.

If there is going to be a libertarian, give me a backwoods motherfucker who hasn’t bathed with running water in 20 years. At least he’d have integrity.

Personally this is pretty much has I see myself. I think it was before libertarian really caught on.

A South Park Republican (coined by Andrew Sullivan, 2001[1]) is a person who holds center-right political beliefs influenced by the popular American animated television program South Park. Many may hold generally conservative views on most fiscal matters but may be more moderate or even liberal in regards to social issues such as LGBT Rights and abortion.

South Park co-creator Trey Parker is a registered member of the Libertarian Party.[2] Fellow co-creator Matt Stone sums up their views with the comment, "I hate conservatives, but I really fucking hate liberals."[3]

"We don't care about what Hollywood has to say except for the people that confirm our biases."

Back