Anyone learn a 3rd or 2nd language in your late 20s or in your 30s?

Seaside

Caudillo
Banned
Reaction score
stories?

why did you do it?

did you immigrate to another country and wanted to?

did you learn a language that is NOT spoken in your home country really anywhere?

How did you learn?

Last edited:
You should focus on English a little more.

you should focus on not playing pretend video games and improving your body and sex life. also maybe learn another language.

I started learning Japanese in my forties. I can barely get by with it.

you should focus on not playing pretend video games and improving your body and sex life. also maybe learn another language.

You may as well be talking to all of sherdog asshole, you trying to take us all on, bilingual boy?

<4>

that is badass!
You may as well be talking to all of sherdog asshole, you trying to take us all on, bilingual boy?

<4>

yeah i want to party! i think it funny thought cause it is true comment that comes from the heart to help people. But the defnesive people will just get upset. i mean no offense to it we could all do stuff to improve our lives.

<GinJuice>

hey who deleted the comment about christian girl from uruguay virgin and learning spanish? i wanted to answer that!
´
never to old to learn man. Move to country is the best be immersed. Or if you are American and dont want to leave your country and want to learn spanish you can move easily to parts of your country that all majority spanish speaking. I suggest moving countries. You english native speakers can teach english easily in many countries abroad. it takes time.

why you start? that is badass

I wanted to go and possibly live in Japan. I've been there four times.

mandarin.
it has been a long journey but i am feeling comfortable with it right now. i can write enough to get by meaning that my hanzi can be wrong but its usually just tiny things that native people can decipher. Listening is pretty good i can understand most of what people say if they are speaking mandarin, and can guess for regional dialects that aren't to different.
my future goals are learning Gan and Shanghainese/Suzhounese (both dialects of Wu).

i also want to get my spanish down pat. Right now me and my son both do some rudimentary listening and repeating practice.

I started studying Chinese seriously at about 28 and got pretty good at it, passed HSK 6 and have a professional proficiency such that I can give a technical presentation in clean mandarin and a majority of office meetings I attend now are in Chinese. I absolutely studied my ass off though, so it can be done but it's not going to be easy.

I wanted to go and possibly live in Japan. I've been there four times.

i love meeting people who learned at later age like 20s and 30s but even later than that is awesome. immigrants the best. I have met american expats before who been in colombia or spain for years (more go to spain for obvious reasons because latin america hard for westeners to adjust ). And there stories always cool.
I learned Portuguese in my 40’s and yes I can tell stories in Portuguese and be understood,

why did you start in 40s did you move to brazil or portugal? or angola?
I started studying Chinese seriously at about 28 and got pretty good at it, passed HSK 6 and have a professional proficiency such that I can give a technical presentation in clean mandarin and a majority of office meetings I attend now are in Chinese. I absolutely studied my ass off though, so it can be done but it's not going to be easy.

chinese is some other level man. If your native english it would be harder to learn than russian

mandarin.
it has been a long journey but i am feeling comfortable with it right now. i can write enough to get by meaning that my hanzi can be wrong but its usually just tiny things that native people can decipher. Listening is pretty good i can understand most of what people say if they are speaking mandarin, and can guess for regional dialects that aren't to different.
my future goals are learning Gan and Shanghainese/Suzhounese (both dialects of Wu).

i also want to get my spanish down pat. Right now me and my son both do some rudimentary listening and repeating practice.

why did you start do you live in china or what?

I'm thirty-eight, and have been struggling with French for about five years. Most of my wife's family lives over there, and it'd be nice to not need a translator. She has a cousin who teaches English in Paris, and is constantly having to translate for me if my wife is not nearby.

why did you start do you live in china or what?
yep i have been here for 3 years so far. but i was interested in learning an east asian language before i came to the east i just never put the time in to learning.

I started learning Korean when i was 30 for work.
I am currently living in Korea. Being around the language all the time helps you pick things up pretty quickly....if you want to learn. Having a local girlfriend, as well as friends helps too. I would avoid heavily relying on girls for language though because you will end up picking up their speaking mannerisms and sound like a girl when you speak.
I grew up speaking Japanese though, and Korean and Japanese have a lot of similarities, so i had a bit of an advantage when i started.

I'd like to pick up a European language and Chinese as well.
Never too late to learn

I am learning Mandarin and Cantonese to better interact with individuals overseas and those in our BC office for overseas derivatives trading.

Back