Anyone into tools or machining?

Lvnvmma

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone gotten into lathes/mills machining and tools in general?

i have a wood lathe.

Ever built a pool cue?
Man, i actually want to make one of those. one of the guys at the wood store said it was a bad idea because it needs to be a type of wood that doesn't warp with time. He probably has tons of experience and his advice is probably sound... but i ain't no punk so i'm gonna try it anyway.

How accurate do u need to be? A 4 jaw chuck is going to be more accurate 3 jaw chucks tend to not be great at centering sometimes. Also take it off and check the spindle

I work with this stuff and I barely understand it. CNC machines, G Code, EDM etc.

i have a wood lathe.

Man, i actually want to make one of those. one of the guys at the wood store said it was a bad idea because it needs to be a type of wood that doesn't warp with time. He probably has tons of experience and his advice is probably sound... but i ain't no punk so i'm gonna try it anyway.

That warning sounds a lot like useful advice on choice of materials.

i have a wood lathe.

Dont cheap out. I always shudder when I see friends spend 1200 on a custom cue and I can tell the materials are all plain stuff.

I bought a block of ebony for making inlays for about $25 and its the hardest wood I've ever seen. It runs around $200 a square foot in so cal but a 1x1x32 piece, if you can find it would only be like $50.

All im saying is go exotic.

Dont cheap out. I always shudder when I see friends spend 1200 on a custom cue and I can tell the materials are all plain stuff.

I bought a block of ebony for making inlays for about $25 and its the hardest wood I've ever seen. It runs around $200 a square foot in so cal but a 1x1x32 piece, if you can find it would only be like $50.

All im saying is go exotic.

I have a buddy that was trained by Diekmann and he's been using elk horn as inlays lately. I'm surprised at how good they're turning out.

home-improvement-media-monitoring-api.gif

I'm into woodworking but I'm not good, at all.

I have a buddy that was trained by Diekmann and he's been using elk horn as inlays lately. I'm surprised at how good they're turning out.
Great builder, sad to say he actually passed away this summer

I want to get a 3D printer one day

Manly stuff in the berry?

I can operate a lathe but it’s not my bag of beans. I’m a mechanic and building tradesmen.

That's a wood lathe, I work on machining metal

Sorry hope my posts weren't a hijack, I thought they used metal lathes for building cues, granted I know shit. someone mentioned using a metal lathe for building either parts or possibly the whole thing. Remember some comments about them being much more accurate than wood lathes. Maybe I was drunk or something. lol

I'm drunk and misred this as a thread about Machida. I'll let myself out...

Back