Anyone here train in Roger's Academy in London?

yetanother

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I plan to move to London and train there in hopefully a few months (Don't be worried I'm only a a bit trollish over the internets) but I got super worried after some people on reddit claimed Mauricio Gomes is teaching self-defence techniques there. Does he teach only beginners? I don't give a flying fuck about learning to defend against chairs and old school jiu jitsu moves from 1740s.

Last edited:
Yes he does.
But he normally teaches the afternoon class or the basics. They have classes all day and the advanced class is good training.

The basics class normally has some self defense elements, depending on who’s teaching.

If he teaches in the afternoon he’ll show maybe 1-2 self defense things and the go on to normal techniques.

Also he’s not around for the whole year.

I’m on exchange this year so I won’t be around...

Thanks a lot, I panicked I'll feel like I traveled with a time machine to the dark ages if I move there.

im curious to know how well rogers students do in competition if he has produced any top blacks on the competitive scene today

Not anyone on the topmost level as far as I know of. I think that in Europe only that Kimura gym in Norway produces top level black belts but I won't be able to get a decent job there because it's in a small town.

im curious to know how well rogers students do in competition if he has produced any top blacks on the competitive scene today

To be fair "producing top black belts on the competitive scene" is something very few gyms can claim, as you are only looking at pinnacle of the sport - and many of them move club or gravitate towards their home school of the affiliation.

If you want to understand if its a solid competitive club - probably better looking at results in major events for blues, purples & browns.

Top talent moving away from a club to better clubs kind of implies it's not as good.
The thing I need the most are tough sparring partners and the ability to drill/do extra positional sparring etc. before/after class/on weekends.

I don't know about top black belts but my old instructor is a Roger Gracie black belt and he's won national and European titles. Here's his list of achievements:

Silver Medal at Polish Championships 2014, Adult Middle Heavy, Black Belt.
Silver Medal at IBJJF London Open 2014 Adult Middle Heavy , Black Belt.
Gold Medal at British Open Championships 2014, Adult Middle weight, Brown Belt.
Silver Medal at IBJJF European Championships in Lisbon 2013, Middle Weight, Master 1, Brown Belt.
2 x Gold medal in 2012 IBJJF European Championships in Lisbon, Middle weight and Absolute Masters 1, Brown Belt.
Gold medal at British Open 2011, Adult, Purple Belt.
Gold medal at World Pro Trials in Warsaw 2011, Adult, Purple Belt.
Gold medal in Absolut at British Open 2010, Adult, Purple Belt.
Gold medal at Gracie Invitational 2010 in London, Adult, Blue Belt.

I plan to move to London and train there in hopefully a few months (Don't be worried I'm only a a bit trollish over the internets) but I got super worried after some people on reddit claimed Mauricio Gomes is teaching self-defence techniques there. Does he teach only beginners? I don't give a flying fuck about learning to defend against chairs and old school jiu jitsu moves from 1740s.

Are you only considering Rogers in London or have you also looked at Carlson Gracie? I know that they have a solid competition record with a lot of good high level guys.

Top talent moving away from a club to better clubs kind of implies it's not as good.
The thing I need the most are tough sparring partners and the ability to drill/do extra positional sparring etc. before/after class/on weekends.

I think your wrong on that front - tell me of one top level blackbelt that hasn't ever moved / regularly trained at another gym? Even Roger didn't just train at his own place, he spent time at Renzo's, with the Estimas, Lagarto etc - either going to theirs or them coming to him.

I think your wrong on that front - tell me of one top level blackbelt that hasn't ever moved / regularly trained at another gym? Even Roger didn't just train at his own place, he spent time at Renzo's, with the Estimas, Lagarto etc - either going to theirs or them coming to him.

Going for some training with other people is one thing, but people I generally assume that the gym people move to for better training are better than the ones they move from.

Last edited:

No it doesnt. Not many scoring black belts from Atos, Costha, Alliance, actually started at white belt in the current gym they train in. I would say almost none did.

What I mean is that people who move clubs for training often move for better training. People from Atos San Diego don't move to train at Gracie Academy.
Their initial clubs might have better programs to teach beginners but I'm not looking for that.

Are you only considering Rogers in London or have you also looked at Carlson Gracie? I know that they have a solid competition record with a lot of good high level guys.

I don't want particularly want to train under wilson junior he is just ridiculous. Is anyone from there competing at a high level?

I don't want particularly want to train under wilson junior he is just ridiculous. Is anyone from there competing at a high level?

Haha his videos? I’ve met him and he seems fine to be fair but don’t know him well enough to have a firm opinion. High level competitors? I know Dickie Martin, one of the founders and lead instructors, is a world champ at Masters level. River Dillon trained there and he has high level comp experience but not sure if he is still about. Heard he trains over at Rogers sometimes...

Going for some training with other people is one thing, but people I generally assume that the gym people move to for better training are better than the ones they move from.

Sometimes, though better might relate to the stage you're at. Some clubs are great for beginners but not as good for national or international level competitors, other clubs are full of national or international level competitors but are lousy for beginners (typically because they're not interested in teaching beginners).

For example, you can do walk-ons at most university wrestling clubs, where you can learn to wrestle, but they're lousy places to learn, because they're focused on the top level competitors and have no time to teach the basics for beginners. However, they're great places if you're already a very good high school level wrestler who wants to become a national level wrestler.

Same is true for most sports - the best places for top level competitors tend to be lousy places for beginners, and vice-versa.

Same is true for most sports - the best places for top level competitors tend to be lousy places for beginners, and vice-versa.

Sure I'm looking for place where I get hard high level training.
Something like Cicero Costha when the Miyaos/Leandro where training there would be the dream setup.

Doesn’t Charles negromante train at Rogers? He’s a fairly high level competitor.at black belt level too

Back