Anyone here really believe Mayweather will go toe to toe?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
I have hard time believing he's not gonna be on defensive end

I don't know about toe-to-toe because that implies an even exchange of punches in the center of the ring but he will be walking McGregor down and landing at will

In his last interview he promised :)

He said Conor is probably going to land something since Floyd will be hunting him down

Edit: see the vid now, didnt see it before

I don't know about toe-to-toe because that implies an even exchange of punches in the center of the ring but he will be walking McGregor down and landing at will

You guys don't feel he's taking a risk at all?

Lol he is going to stand back, jab, and move. He will not stand in the middle of the ring and trade nor will he stalk Conor unless Conor is tired and/or gassed

I guarantee there is no-one in the boxing forum that thinks that, OP.

Maybe over in the n̶u̶-̶w̶r̶a̶s̶s̶l̶i̶n̶'̶ MMA forum you might find some people, but surely not here.

Lol he is going to stand back, jab, and move. He will not stand in the middle of the ring and trade nor will he stalk Conor unless Conor is tired and/or gassed
so, he starts stalking him in the second round?

floyd has beaten up guys who were much harder hitters than conor. they were faster and better boxers, too.

this thing with people saying that floyd just runs around is so stupid. he hits guys, and he hits them hard. he isn't knocking them out, but they certainly aren't enjoying it. he is putting conor away any way he wants to.

I have hard time believing he's not gonna be on defensive end

But in this situation there's really no offensive threat.

However, I've noticed from more than enough mma fans that they think Mayweather's defense means he runs around the ring to avoid his opponent.
As if he's supposed to stick his chin out and let him land at will.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Floyd regularly stands in front of his opponents and still makes them miss.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Floyd regularly stands in front of his opponents and still makes them miss.

It is always jab, make them miss, hit them or just make them look stupid, and then move. That is his M.O. and has been for years.

It is always jab, make them miss, hit them or just make them look stupid, and then move. That is his M.O. and has been for years.

Well sure, you can't fault a boxer for waking to "make them miss". But, making them miss doesn't necessarily mean he runs away from his opponent.
Andre Ward does something that annoys me: he'll bend at the waist (doubled over) to avoid shots.... that's illegal according to the rules.

But Floyd doesn't even do that. He's there to be hit, he just takes the steam out of all of the punches that touch him.

I don't know how this didn't get rolled into the boxing forum's May/Mac super thread, but since I've been in such a troll-y mood lately, I'll bite.

Yeah, I know it's a highlight reel and you can make anyone look like a stud with enough editing, but come on, you can't see this and think that all he ever does is "run".

You guys don't feel he's taking a risk at all?

He's a bit older now, but he sat in the pocket with Cotto for a lot of their fight. Same with Maidana. The idea that Floyd can't fight inside is a misperception. I think a lot of people got pissed off at the Baldomir fight and from then on he was a "runner". But for the most part that's not actually what he does. He walked down Mosley most of their fight. Beat the dog crap out of Ortiz standing right in front of him. Tussled with Cotto inside. Pieced apart Hatton inside. Stood in front of Corrales and beat him up all night. Hell, if you want to watch a scrap go watch his fight with Burton/Augustus (I can't remember which it was back then, Burton I think). That's his most entertaining fight imo, from a pure fire-power perspective. That or that Gatti fight.

It's not foreign territory. He's a very good offensive fighter. But is he telling the truth? Maybe, maybe not. He's said this before other fights and not done it. Always have to be weary about what a fighter tells the whole world they're going to do before the night.

He stalked Mosely, even after getting hurt. So, he might?

I have a hard time believing that Floyd is going to struggle finding a guy whose game is based on throwing single punches and moving in straight lines in-and-out.

Well he's clearly not going to walk forward windmilling a la Bart Simpson, nor is he going to park his chin in the air and throw bombs like amir Khan. This idea that if you aren't headhunting you aren't trying is ridiculous. Bisping circling into the h bomb, werdum running into miocic's fists seem to get respect as warriors, whereas clowning the guy stood right in front of you is boring? I don't understand the just bleed fans and never will.

Mayweather will take what his opponent gives him. He has always been cautious, since, when, DLH in 2006 or so? There are times (not whole fights, or even whole rounds) when he is more prone to throw, but overall, when it comes to his opponent's errors, he takes what his opponent gives him.

If he does KO McGregor, I could see it being like the Hatton KO.

I get the feeling he'll work in the pocket a bit if he feels he can. Floyd's fought some top class fighters and, even if they weren't at the top of their game fighting him, they were all dangerous for one reason or another. He's a smart fighter and will gauge exactly what he can and can't do against McGregor and, if he feels like he can, he might in fight a little to make Conor look stupid.

Back