Anyone here heard of Nightwish? Or Delain?

Having just learned of this band today I may not be the best person to answer this, but from what I can tell the best song to answer this question is this one:

Thanks. Sounds like she's way better than Annette was, and a great singer in her own right, but she can't do what tarja could do.

It's such a shame. Tarja and nightwish are nothing without each other but they'll probably never resolve their differences

I stopped caring about Nightwish after Tarja left. Never heard of the other band.

You should listen to old school Kamelot if you like symphonic metal. They were one of the best at it in their prime. Bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation are alright but chick metal (vocals) is a gimmick that gets old really fast.

This guy gets it. Kamelot has a lot of quality songs. I saw Delain in concert they opened for Kamelot. I was not impressed. Kamelot was fantastic.

Last edited:
Thanks. Sounds like she's way better than Annette was, and a great singer in her own right, but she can't do what tarja could do.

It's such a shame. Tarja and nightwish are nothing without each other but they'll probably never resolve their differences

I'm not familiar with Tarja and so I have no connection to her, but I listened to their newest album (Endless Forms Most Beautiful) last night and it was pretty good. I'd say keep an open mind.

I've seen nightwish in concert right after the first lead singer left the band. My wife is a huge fan. I'm not normally into that kind of operatic rock but they have grown on me.

I like the song Bye Bye Beautiful

Lol... that was a 'fuck you' song to Tarja.

I like that entire album. Annette had a good voice for albums, but she wasn't a good performer as compared to her studio work.

Amarath, Islander, Sahara, and Poet & Pendulum are all awesome.

I'm a big fan of Nightwish. I suppose it has a lot to do with your taste for symphonic metal, it's a particular taste and a bit of a polarizing style. I dig it though.

I'll respectfully disagree with those who prefer Tarja to Floor. I like Floor's live versions of the old songs a bit better, but I've just got turned on to Nightwish recently and might feel differently if I had been there from the start. Of course they're both excellent so there's no wrong answer.

On a personal not both Nightwish and Delain are playing a cool mid-size venue here in Charlotte, NC on May 13 and I am very much looking forward to catching that show.

Oh and...

Someone once said to me that Nightwish is an Evanescence ripoff. I don't even like Nightwish but I seriously considered punching them in the face.

...if you could punch him in the face for me the next time you see him that would be great. Nightwish crushes Evanescence.

You should listen to old school Kamelot if you like symphonic metal. They were one of the best at it in their prime. Bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation are alright but chick metal (vocals) is a gimmick that gets old really fast.

I like Kamelot, also dig some Nightwish from all three lead singers, some Epica (bonus points for Simone singing w/Kamelot), and Within Temptation.

Old Lacuna Coil is my favorite female fronted metal band though. Comales was a sick album.

Found Tarja's latest album you youtube. The songwriting isn't as good as nightwish but it's so good to hear her voice. According to wiki she's a full lyric soprano. That voice fits perfectly with nightwish's music.

I don't understand why the hell they didn't try to replace her with another lyric soprano. Apparently it's the most common type of female opera singer, so you can't tell me they couldn't find one.

Since Thomas writes all the music, all they need is some broad to shut up and sing without developing a huge ego. If they had done that, they'd still have all their original fans.

[YT]QFap-o2pxoA[/YT]

You mean that Floor Jansen? she's gorgeous man, 6ft of beauty

235807_(2009)%20Floor%20Jansen.jpg

floor-jansen_00071020.jpg

Nah, it was their first singer, Tarja Turunen according to the fine folks here.

They both have some decent tunes but i dont like them enough to buy their cds . Id rather pop in some Epica if i wanted female symphonic metal

I'm a big fan of Nightwish. I suppose it has a lot to do with your taste for symphonic metal, it's a particular taste and a bit of a polarizing style. I dig it though.

I'll respectfully disagree with those who prefer Tarja to Floor. I like Floor's live versions of the old songs a bit better, but I've just got turned on to Nightwish recently and might feel differently if I had been there from the start. Of course they're both excellent so there's no wrong answer.

On a personal not both Nightwish and Delain are playing a cool mid-size venue here in Charlotte, NC on May 13 and I am very much looking forward to catching that show.

Oh and...

...if you could punch him in the face for me the next time you see him that would be great. Nightwish crushes Evanescence.
Was curious if this conversation ever happened here so I searched it.

I agree with you that Floor is the best singer they have ever had.
The songwriting was superior in Tarja's day and she had a good studio album voice, but she phoned it in in every live performance ever. Anette had the worst voice of the 3, but the songwriting was still good.

Floor singing Anette songs actually improves the hell out of them. In fact, she improves some Tarja songs too.

Regarding the dipshit who said they were an evanescance rip off, I hope you pointed out that Nightwish had 4 albums out before that band even had one.

Having just learned of this band today I may not be the best person to answer this, but from what I can tell the best song to answer this question is this one:

Floor sounds good but she's not that unique. What made tarja stand out is that she's the only true classical singer in metal. Or what people commonly call opera singing.

IMO nightwish should not have looked within the metal industry for a new singer, they should have recruited an opera singer.

Check out the 3:15 mark of this clip. This is what tarja does that floor and other metal singers can't.

tarjas voice couldn't last a whole show.

Floor sounds good but she's not that unique. What made tarja stand out is that she's the only true classical singer in metal. Or what people commonly call opera singing.

IMO nightwish should not have looked within the metal industry for a new singer, they should have recruited an opera singer.

Check out the 3:15 mark of this clip. This is what tarja does that floor and other metal singers can't.

Floor is better suited to the songs and music.

Tarja being unique is nice, but she is unique in the sense of different, rather than better.
People are hung up on her because she was the first singer and operatic, but I disliked her because she was incapable of replicating her performances live AND because I did not like her style. She was better than Anette, but Floor sounds better than both of them and is 10x the live performer.

But for the record, Floor can and does Nail the operatic when she performs Tarja's era songs. She sings them better than tarja herself.

In terms of songwriting, the girls get zero input to lyrics and songstructure. They are glorified Karaoke superstars since Tuomas writes everything

Probably the best cover version of the song.

That said, Kontrust has my attention now.

Back