Anyone here heard of Nightwish? Or Delain?

Listening to Nightwish's latest album, "Endless Forms Most Beautiful." These guys are pretty badass.

I love the old nightwish with tarja. That opera singer shit really gets me.

Annette couldn't pull off that type of singing so I lost interest.

I haven't heard them with their latest singer yet so I don't know if she can sing like tarja with the classical style.

My drummer used to love nighwish, I never liked them all that much because the symphonic metal style just kind of bores me. I can play this song on my guitar though, he kind of forced me to. [YT]/watch?v=BmGcpiL4vgA[/YT]

I love the old nightwish with tarja. That opera singer shit really gets me.

Annette couldn't pull off that type of singing so I lost interest.

I haven't heard them with their latest singer yet so I don't know if she can sing like tarja with the classical style.

Having just learned of this band today I may not be the best person to answer this, but from what I can tell the best song to answer this question is this one:

I used to like Nightwish for a while, saw them live once. I only really liked one song tho, I think it was called 'Nemo'. It's still brilliant.

Not a huge fan of nightwish. I have a Within Temptation Pandora station and some of their stuff pops up there and some is pretty good. Downloaded an album but didn't enjoy most of it

After going to through some of Nightwish's material, I'm officially down with them. But I think I actually like Delain more.

Nightwish has been around for years now and are a solid household name, but I hate heavy symphonic metal.
Someone once said to me that Nightwish is an Evanescence ripoff. I don't even like Nightwish but I seriously considered punching them in the face.

Someone once said to me that Nightwish is an Evanescence ripoff. I don't even like Nightwish but I seriously considered punching them in the face.

Yeah, that passes the smell test. Nightwish released their first album in 1996.

Their first signer was Opera. Their second was pop. Their third, Floor, is somewhere in the middle. She definatley has a hell of a set of pipes.

[Yt]SIadxUt0RDw[/MEDIA]

You should listen to old school Kamelot if you like symphonic metal. They were one of the best at it in their prime. Bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation are alright but chick metal (vocals) is a gimmick that gets old really fast.

I've seen nightwish in concert right after the first lead singer left the band. My wife is a huge fan. I'm not normally into that kind of operatic rock but they have grown on me.

I like the song Bye Bye Beautiful

Why is it a gimmick? I like a lot of female-fronted bands. I've never thought of it as a gimmick, just artists doing their thing.
because it is used to attract attention. There's a reason you have heard of Nightwish and not Stratovarius.

because it is used to attract attention. There's a reason you have heard of Nightwish and not Stratovarius.

That seems to be a catch 22 for these talented girls who are fronting these bands. It's as if you're saying that you can't be female and be a legitimate metal singer. Sounds a lot like people who say similar things about female MMA fighters.

Yeah, people who recently discovered metal usually say an incredible amount of bullshit. I use to believe Slipknot was a black metal band when I was in highschool but ended-up booking a Mayhem show during college :icon_chee

Never liked the lack of good, heavy riffs in symphonic/melodic metal.

Back