Anyone here farm or have an in terest in farm?

Roca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The wife and I should be able to retire relatively young and live off our investments and savings. I would like to live in the country with some land and a house and a barn and a goat down by the river.

I think it would be nice to grow some vegetables, maybe bring them to market or give them to people who can't get fresh produce like homeless folks and @Clippy.

Does anyone here farm or have any involvement with farms? Anyone have any interest in the post-retirement hobby farm scene?

I grew up on and around and worked on farms lol. Would be nice to one day move back to the country again and have a lil farm of my own. But I doubt that'll ever happen lol.

Got like 60 hours in Stardew Valley bro. Game is legit

Stardew_Valley_2.png

What's your next move?
I know you're 2 steps in front of the cops

Stardew_Valley_2.png

I've heard it's good but I figure I'll get bored of the pointless grind. I need some bad guys to smoosh.

I've heard it's good but I figure I'll get bored of the pointless grind. I need some bad guys to smoosh.

There's combat in the game bro. You gotta explore a mine full of baddies to harvest certain materials

I'm descended from a long line of farmers and spent a lot of my younger years on farms. I live on a few acres in the country but mowing lawn is about as close as I get to farming now. There is a 100 acre field next to me.

I raise cattle, hay, and chickens. Not as an occupation, just an expensive hobby.

i would love that, if i had the capital to start a farm that makes a profit somewhat similar to what i make now, i would do it. or at least live in the country. as for now i gotta settle for growing fruit in my yard

Stardew_Valley_2.png

im a harvest moon OG

backtonature.png

I grew up on a chicken farm. Recently closed loop aquaponics has peaked my interest.

You grow an edible water plant like duckweed, feed it to a fish species like catfish or tilapia, the fish waste is filtered into the hydroponic system where bacteria convert it into a usable fertilizer, the plants soak up the fertilizer from the water which filters it back into clean water, then it is cycled back into the fish pond.

It is a very scalable system. It is much more efficient than traditional farming. Water is consistently recycled. It is efficient enough that the system can be maintained on a several inches of rainfall each year with the right catchment system in place. Fish are constantly generating new fertilizer. Fish species like tilapia are edible also. Crops grow much faster because they always have all the water and nutrients they need. There are countless modifications and adaptations that can be made to accommodate different crops, environments, or circumstances. Aquaponics systems are the future.

Last edited:
can it compare to harvest moon?

I never played Harvest Moon bro. I heard it was a major influence on SV though

As well as farming and dungeon crawling, SV has also has a town full of residents that you can interact with and become friends with (And romance and shit). Fishing as well. It's a great game. Very addictive

I never played Harvest Moon bro. I heard it was a major influence on SV though

As well as farming and dungeon crawling, SV has also has a town full of residents that you can interact with and become friends with (And romance and shit). Fishing as well. It's a great game. Very addictive

sounds exactly like harvest moon+dungeon crawling

the concept of the game was that you had to become friends with the whole town and basically need to build/upgrade your farm enough to meet their threshholds. i.e. you had to win the cow festival for one person to like you, so you need to raise a 5 star cow etc.

karen is still GOAT farmfu
karen3.png

I'm a small grains farmer. I'm currently hauling grain

I raise cattle, hay, and chickens. Not as an occupation, just an expensive hobby.
How'd your first cutting go? It's been so dry here that a lot of guys didn't even try. A lot got zapped by a late frost as well.
I knifed in some anhydrous last fall for the neighbor and that stuff looks awesome, but everything else looks terrible.
Do you do idiot cubes or round?

I'm a small grains farmer. I'm currently hauling grain

How'd your first cutting go? It's been so dry here that a lot of guys didn't even try. A lot got zapped by a late frost as well.
I knifed in some anhydrous last fall for the neighbor and that stuff looks awesome, but everything else looks terrible.
Do you do idiot cubes or round?
Got first cutting done first week of June, we had a nice dry spell here in the midwest. The cold spring kept the grass from getting off to a good start, so those that got it done in May didn't get quite the yield. Most of mine filled out by the time I got it cut, but could have been better.
First cut is all big rounds. I do like to have a couple hundred squares in the barn, so some of the second cut go towards that. Got one field done last week, rest will have to wait until after vacation next week. We've had a deluge of rain the last few days, so it should have above average moisture for this time of year. Might even get a third cut on some if I get time.
LOL at "idiot bales". I hate the damn things, until I need them. I remember picking up small rounds back in the day, now those things were idiot bales! LOL

Got first cutting done first week of June, we had a nice dry spell here in the midwest. The cold spring kept the grass from getting off to a good start, so those that got it done in May didn't get quite the yield. Most of mine filled out by the time I got it cut, but could have been better.
First cut is all big rounds. I do like to have a couple hundred squares in the barn, so some of the second cut go towards that. Got one field done last week, rest will have to wait until after vacation next week. We've had a deluge of rain the last few days, so it should have above average moisture for this time of year. Might even get a third cut on some if I get time.
LOL at "idiot bales". I hate the damn things, until I need them. I remember picking up small rounds back in the day, now those things were idiot bales! LOL
I live in ND and we don't do our first cut until the end of June, beginning of July. Do you have black angus?
We've only gotten 1.5" of rain since springs work and everything is suffering, some guys are even started to cut their wheat for hay because there's nothing in the head.
That's what I started calling them in high school. I threw over 12,000 myself one year and I refused to do anymore. The cows got sold off next year and we never had cows after that.

I'd love to have a small, self-sufficient farm. Grow some simple things I enjoy (Kale, Greens, Spinach, sweet potatoes, etc.), have some chickens for eggs, maybe some goats. Bag a couple of deer, and fish for meat. Seems doable on some cheap land in TN....I'm about over this city life/rat race.

I live in ND and we don't do our first cut until the end of June, beginning of July. Do you have black angus?
We've only gotten 1.5" of rain since springs work and everything is suffering, some guys are even started to cut their wheat for hay because there's nothing in the head.
That's what I started calling them in high school. I threw over 12,000 myself one year and I refused to do anymore. The cows got sold off next year and we never had cows after that.
I have mostly angus based cows, 1 char, and just bought a simm bull this year. Not a lot, I'm still refencing the farm. Grew up raising herefords but grandpa and I sold out after my dad died in 94. Starting over from scratch is taking more time and money than originally expected.
I'd love to give you some rain. Bet we got close to 3" Sat and Sun alone

Back