Anyone have experience with boxing or fencing?

technically but i'm not recommending it
Its not a real blade so its safe bangin'

I always wanted to try kendo/fencing but add in MMA to it. Blast double off a stab -> GnP

I started doing épée 2 years ago.

It's a great sport on its own.

Footwork, speed and reaction time will be sharpened, yes, for sure.

But if getting good at boxing is your goal, do more boxing.

On stance, imho if you want the best cross over to your orthodox boxing then learn left-handed but the learning curve will be steeper.

Not even sure if you can even get good at fencing with your non-dominant hand.

But lefties do have an advantage in fencing because they are rare.

I started doing épée 2 years ago.

It's a great sport on its own.

Footwork, speed and reaction time will be sharpened, yes, for sure.

But if getting good at boxing is your goal, do more boxing.

On stance, imho if you want the best cross over to your orthodox boxing then learn left-handed but the learning curve will be steeper.

Not even sure if you can even get good at fencing with your non-dominant hand.

But lefties do have an advantage in fencing because they are rare.
Thank you for the response. From your experience how does the footwork and bladework vary from the 3 main fencing styles? Also from a pure fencing aspect what type of person would graviate towards sabre vs epee vs foil (physical and personality traits)?

Thank you for the response. From your experience how does the footwork and bladework vary from the 3 main fencing styles? Also from a pure fencing aspect what type of person would graviate towards sabre vs epee vs foil (physical and personality traits)?

How they would differ ? In many aspects.....they are very different. Perhaps you can provide a more precise question ?

Now on the type of person...
- Foil : elegant and athletic. Theoretical (because of right of way rules). Focused on rythm, parrying and riposte.
- Epee : realistic. No bullshit. Bulkiest of the 3. Patience. Intuitive. More like a duel.
- sabre. Most athletic of the 3 but not realistic. Is usually over in 5 seconds max. Exrtremely quick.

If you care about the martial application of fencing, epee is the most realistic.

I am going to take up fencing at my college for fun and maybe improve my footwork in boxing. My question is as a orthodox boxer would it be more benificial to fence as a left hander to improve my jab for boxing and orthodox footwork , or as a right hander to maybe learn footwork as southpaw and be a switch stance boxer like hagler, hamed , and herol graham. Just to clarify to anyone stances are inverted when comparing boxers to fencers (e.g. right handed boxer front foot is left and right handed fencer right foot forward and vice versa for left handed stance). Also from a fencing perspective would be rude to ask for coach to teach like a left hander if your actually right handed? Also could the mechanics of thursting in fencing ruin the mechanics of my jab?

BTW, there is a thread in the weapons forum that actually got me into fencing.

I would recommend it to anyone who is getting into it because I posted my noob questions and candid reactions over the span of 2 years.

It actually reads like the blog of an old fuck that just falls in love with fencing. It's called "which ancestor made the best sword". I massively derailed it and made it a fencing thread. You might want to check it out. I'll page you from it.

BTW, there is a thread in the weapons forum that actually got me into fencing.

I would recommend it to anyone who is getting into it because I posted my noob questions and candid reactions over the span of 2 years.

It actually reads like the blog of an old fuck that just falls in love with fencing. It's called "which ancestor made the best sword". I massively derailed it and made it a fencing thread. You might want to check it out. I'll page you from it.
Thanks for the heads up I will definitely check out the thread.

Back