Anyone had a Kimura Injury?

Not Kimura but an Americana from side control. Didn't hurt at all, then one of the bones in my forearm snapped in 2. Now I have a metal plate and 6 screws and I have to tap quite early to anything to that arm.

Q: Anyone had a Kimura Injury?

A: Helio

Sorry.....

The first time I was ever at any groundfighting seminar, I was Americana'd from full mount during a demonstration by the teacher, and he was a little overzealous and dislocated my elbow? Does that count?

sincerely hope this is a joke

I recently have had pain in my shoulder when I bring my arm across and UNDER my opposite arm (this is a normal baseball warmup stretch). Really wondering if it's from a kimura, but not sure. Rotator cuff is a tough heal.

When someone gets one on me I verbally tap straight away.

Don't want anything to do with them, not worth it.

I'm personally tired of sitting out because of injuries, not caused by my training partners but by my stubborness. I tap to everything now except chokes, I have good defense on chokes. Been working on this reverse triangle kimura guys don't like tapping to it but they really don't have much choice. It also helps me not hurt the guy when I can apply it slowly despite there spazz factor.

The first time I was ever at any groundfighting seminar, I was Americana'd from full mount during a demonstration by the teacher, and he was a little overzealous and dislocated my elbow? Does that count?

holy shit dude that sucks! how long were you out?

i dislocated my elbow in a competition (from posting, not from a submission) and I was out for more than 3 months. Unfortunately it got caught in a bad position yesterday and popped a bunch of times, I'll prob be out for a bit again (but not as bad as the first time obviously).

Am sore myself from being stubborn and tapping too late. Wish I didn't read this forum now you all freaked me out.

Couldn't anyone have posted "oh yeah was sore for a week, then I was fine."

i've seen a few people got their arm ripped off from a kimura.

i tap if i feel the guy has my arm lock on ready for a kimura.

crap, can't believe i responded to a necro'd thread. who keeps necroing these?

I had some part of my bicep minor popped out during a super fast kimura grip armbar. I heard it pop while he was still in midair.

Last night I was in a crucifix position and it sounded like my shoulder tore. Nothing hurt at all, but I tapped because of the sound. It didn't hurt at all last night. This morning the knobby part at the top of the shoulder feels like its bruised. I have full range of motion but it hurts to move my arm behind my back. Everything else feels fine.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I got hurt on Wednesday. I got my opponent down, got side control and was going to reach over his head. He locked up a dwl on my near arm and I thought nothing of it cause I was on top. But the dude was so strong and he torqued my arm very fast and strong I heard the tearing sound and it hurt right away (inside crease of my elbow) I screamed and shouted stop. He stopped right away. I stopped rolling, iced it and took anti inflammatories. I think it's important to understand which injuries you can still roll with and which you shouldn't and take time to heal. I still drill but I won't do any sparring for a few days till I am 100% sure my elbow can handle the physical stress. A lesson I took away from this experience , never underestimate the dwl grip , even from bottom side control

I've actually had more shoulder pain from drilling arm triangles, brabos, etc., than from kimuras and americanas. I had an americana that hurt my elbow pretty bad before, but not the shoulder.

Sounds like it sucks, hope you heal up well.

On another note: can anyone explain when the pressure will be on the elbow instead of the shoulder in kimuras and americanas, and can you really go for one vs. the other? In my experience the elbow sucks way worse.

Does anybody ever make use of their gym's insurance? I read stuff like this, and wonder what the hell is wrong with people. If you elbow or shoulder gets damaged, tell the instructor, file a claim. Getting better is a lot easier with adequate care and rehab.

Are people just too afraid of angering the owner?

If your elbow was damaged at work, file a worker's comp claim. If you get hurt at practice, file a claim. If you get hurt at a tournament, file a claim.

Does anybody ever make use of their gym's insurance? I read stuff like this, and wonder what the hell is wrong with people. If you elbow or shoulder gets damaged, tell the instructor, file a claim. Getting better is a lot easier with adequate care and rehab.

Are people just too afraid of angering the owner?

If your elbow was damaged at work, file a worker's comp claim. If you get hurt at practice, file a claim. If you get hurt at a tournament, file a claim.

When I got injured at a tournament that my club put on the club owner was very straight forward about asking if I needed to file a claim to cover my medical expenses, my military health care coverage took care of everything though, but I thanked him for his concern.

He was a great guy who wanted to make sure I recieved care, he died before I was able to bow back on the mats. RIP Sensei Tony.

I think so, though it's hard to tell. I gutted/twisted out of a kimura in a sub only match not so long ago, and it definitely tweaked my arm a bit. I ended up having to go to the doctor and do some PT, but I'm not certain if that was the source of the injury or not. I get beat up a lot.

Yikes, a lot of guys saying they got hurt by higher belts' kimuras in this thread - hope all the early posters from years ago are all healed up by now!

White belts often don't know to tap to the kimura or are just stubborn about it. In that situation I will usually stop at a certain point and ask the guy if he's ok, then sloooowly continue to apply the lock in that situation - kind of gives them the reminder that "hey, um, you might want to tap here?" in a gentle way. The kimura is such a fantastic control position that you can play it safe anyway...not like training really matters anyway but there are certain things you kinda have to do faster to make them work - IMO the kimura isn't one of them, particularly against a newer grappler

Back