Anyone go to a Danaher seminar lately?

DanaWhitesButler

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I got one coming up next weekend, and I am wondering what to expect. It's my first BJJ seminar, and it looks like it's going to be awesome. Hoping to learn some techniques to get those leg attacks more frequently. Anyone got any interesting seminar info or experiences, especially with Danaher and Gordon Ryan?

Thanks.

I got one coming up next weekend, and I am wondering what to expect. It's my first BJJ seminar, and it looks like it's going to be awesome. Hoping to learn some techniques to get those leg attacks more frequently. Anyone got any interesting seminar info or experiences, especially with Danaher and Gordon Ryan?

Thanks.

I'm going to one this Sat Aug 18th. I'll have to let you know afterwards.

Never with Danaher but you asked about Gordon so I would say his seminars are great. Very detailed but to the point. He usually does an extensive question and answer section and rolls at most of his seminars. The seminar I did was on leg locks and some front headlock stuff. We covered a basic ashi to outside ashi sequence. Some alternative heel hook rips. Then we did some basic saddle control to finish the inside heel hook. The front headlock stuff was some arm-in guillotine, high elbow guillotine, and rolling brabo choke stuff. The Q&As were mostly questions on guard passing and then the kimura trap.

I would do another seminar with him. Good stuff. Especially if you enjoy the current no gi style but I would do a gi seminar with him too. His knowledge level is very high.

Never with Danaher but you asked about Gordon so I would say his seminars are great. Very detailed but to the point. He usually does an extensive question and answer section and rolls at most of his seminars. The seminar I did was on leg locks and some front headlock stuff. We covered a basic ashi to outside ashi sequence. Some alternative heel hook rips. Then we did some basic saddle control to finish the inside heel hook. The front headlock stuff was some arm-in guillotine, high elbow guillotine, and rolling brabo choke stuff. The Q&As were mostly questions on guard passing and then the kimura trap.

I would do another seminar with him. Good stuff. Especially if you enjoy the current no gi style but I would do a gi seminar with him too. His knowledge level is very high.

Thanks a lot! Would you do anything to prepare for the seminar, i.e. watch any instructional videos? Or is it okay to go in knowing nothing about his specific system?

Thanks a lot! Would you do anything to prepare for the seminar, i.e. watch any instructional videos? Or is it okay to go in knowing nothing about his specific system?
I think it's fine to go in knowing nothing. Gordon does a good enough job explaining the material easily that I don't think you'll be lost.

Out of curiosity, how much are you paying and for how many hours?

I paid $200 for two 2 hour seminars. One is leg lock focused and the other is backmount.

Crazy. Personally for $200 I would've bought his DVDs lol. I suppose that's not as bad if it's a 2 day. I just find it crazy how much these go for

Crazy. Personally for $200 I would've bought his DVDs lol. I suppose that's not as bad if it's a 2 day. I just find it crazy how much these go for

I don't see how it's that expensive. It's basically $100 per 2 hour seminar which is pretty much standard is it not?

I don't see how it's that expensive. It's basically $100 per 2 hour seminar which is pretty much standard is it not?

It is standard, that's what I was getting at. These seminars are a great way for bjj ppl to make money off their names, I just question why so many people flock to them when there's so much content out there online.

For $200 you could get private lessons with your instructor. If split with someone you'd provably be able to get multiple lessons. Another factor with seminars is the amount of people attending. 50+ ppl you are lucky if danaher comes by to answer your questions.
At the end of the day I'm not trying to discourage anyone if they get $200 worth of value from it then that's awesome. I just don't see why living in the information age we are in why seminars are so in demand

For $200 you could get private lessons with your instructor. If split with someone you'd provably be able to get multiple lessons. Another factor with seminars is the amount of people attending. 50+ ppl you are lucky if danaher comes by to answer your questions.
At the end of the day I'm not trying to discourage anyone if they get $200 worth of value from it then that's awesome. I just don't see why living in the information age we are in why seminars are so in demand
Because many people learn better in person regardless of whether or not they received “adequate” individual attention. (Don’t get me started on entitlement) than they do by video. There is research (we went over it in my education classes in college) that strongly either suggests or shows that seeing or hearing things in person causes better learning than by watching/learning the same lesson by video.

Not sure how I am coming across via text, not trying to hate on how ppl learn. I began just curious about what they were paying, I even followed up with saying for 2 days that's not too bad. Again if you're getting $200 worth of value that's great.
All I was saying is I believe that the current bjj cultural of $100 seminars is a lot of money for just showing a few moves. I have attended a decent amount of seminars, for sure there's value in them. I've also taught one myself. I charged $30. I obviously don't have the name value of danaher. I also understand the precieved value of charging a lot.
What kind of buget one has also is a huge factor. When I taught private lessons there were always ppl who'd show up late and bullshit during that hour. They clearly had money to blow bc they'd in a way be paying to have a conversation with me lol. So maybe I'm just coming from a different place here by saying that I would spend $200 very differently.

I did a danaher seminar a year or two ago, when he was in Australia.
Was focused on the outside heel hook.
I was really impressed.
Very detailed, very much a system of attacks rather than a bunch of moves

Not sure how I am coming across via text, not trying to hate on how ppl learn. I began just curious about what they were paying, I even followed up with saying for 2 days that's not too bad. Again if you're getting $200 worth of value that's great.
All I was saying is I believe that the current bjj cultural of $100 seminars is a lot of money for just showing a few moves. I have attended a decent amount of seminars, for sure there's value in them. I've also taught one myself. I charged $30. I obviously don't have the name value of danaher. I also understand the precieved value of charging a lot.
What kind of buget one has also is a huge factor. When I taught private lessons there were always ppl who'd show up late and bullshit during that hour. They clearly had money to blow bc they'd in a way be paying to have a conversation with me lol. So maybe I'm just coming from a different place here by saying that I would spend $200 very differently.

Agree with this 100%. I've been to a Rafa seminar and no question, the AOJ subscription is a better value. Learning 2000 techniques at 70% is better than learning 4 techniques at 85%.

With that said, there are a few things that might make a seminar worth the price. Like if the person rolls with the students after the seminar.

Or Mario Sperry. He's basically the same as he is on his DVDs. It's like getting a jiujitsu lesson and comedy hour all in one.
He's definitely worth it.

Because many people learn better in person regardless of whether or not they received “adequate” individual attention. (Don’t get me started on entitlement) than they do by video. There is research (we went over it in my education classes in college) that strongly either suggests or shows that seeing or hearing things in person causes better learning than by watching/learning the same lesson by video.

The flip side is that you can't got back to review the material. I find that sometimes while reviewing stuff that I do often and sometimes have pulled of in competitions I sometimes have stopped doing little details that make things much better.

The flip side is that you can't got back to review the material. I find that sometimes while reviewing stuff that I do often and sometimes have pulled of in competitions I sometimes have stopped doing little details that make things much better.

Yes! I'm a huge fan of rewatching something a few weeks later. There's details you forgot about and sometimes ones you overlooked. It's watching with a fresh set of eyes

Thanks.

So I went to one yesterday. I felt like I totally got my money's worth. As you would imagine the instruction was amazing. I really appreciated their systematic progression of moves and each component had a reason for being there which they explained very well. Danaher was actually pretty funny in general and was very precise with his instruction.

The leg stuff was golden as you might expect. At least for a leg lock neophyte like myself. For me, I really loved the details on how to finish heel hooks. Gordon took over and gave their 5 points of how they achieve maximum pressure. When we repped it, it was pretty amazing to feel as my partner went through each of their 5 points and at each one I could feel it getting worse and worse. By the third step I was tapping most of the time. They also spent a lot of time going over counter leg locks from ashi which were def eye opening.

The back stuff was really good as well. Very systematic hand fighting and how to work the weak side. They showed a bunch of triangle options from the back as well as a slew of subs you can get when working those triangles.

During the drilling part of class Gordon, his gf, and Danaher walked around the room helping everyone. I didn't know his gf did bjj (although with her being brazilian and his gf it's not surprising) but she actually helped me and my partner twice and it seemed like she really knew what she was talking aobut. It was a very well run seminar and I'm very glad I went.

The only bad part is we had about 7 people from my school there and so I can expect a lot of sore knees in the coming weeks as this stuff gets disseminated to the rest of our school.

Back