Anyone find it strange that Dana White signs guys like Charlie Ward but doesnt sign Ben Askren ?

View attachment 304015
giphy.gif
So this guy gets a chance but Ben Askren didnt ? View attachment 304017
Bad comparison. Ward was a prelim filler, Askren was main event and I imagine wanted main event money. If you don't know about the feud he had with Dana then you should look into it. And and to that, the UFC and Dana have a history of reluctance in signing grapplers like Askren. Fitch and Shields should still be in the UFC, or at the very least should have been re-signed when their contracts were up especially Shields.

So this guy gets a chance but Ben Askren didnt ?
That's because imo Ben never wanted to fight in the UFC. Bjorn was looking to use Askren as a pawn to legitmize the BFC and bring in casuals. The UFC was clear they would not do that. Ben jumped in 100% helping Bjorn.

And and to that, the UFC and Dana have a history of reluctance in signing grapplers like Askren.
It was a reluctance to let Askren help Bellator's image. As soon as Ben was signed with another promotion the UFC was making overtures and Askren told them to fuck off.

Ben wanted fair compensation and not to sign away all his rights. Dana can't have that. It had nothing to do with Ben's style.

I agree with you but I think you're under estimating what it had to do with his style look at John Fitch and Jake Shields.
They got rid of them at the first opportunity.

Not to mention Bellator had no interest in resigning him.
And to be honest it was a good move on that part. A guy who gets paid A lot and people don't want to watch him.

Ben is amazing fighter do not get me wrong but it's just business

Personal Vandetta.

This is exactly why the UFC can't be compared to actual profressional sports.

If you're an elite football player, you're getting signed to a team in the NFL...regardless of whether or not the commissioner likes you.
Cap.jpg

Its no different than cutting Davis, though not as bad because Phil had proven himself against top guys.

I do think he should have been given a chance, and there are plenty of guys he could've beaten. Do i think he'd have been champ? I really doubt it, but he is a good fighter and it would have been interesting to see how he stacked up.

I do believe that he was more interested in money than legacy or proving he was the best, and to that end maybe he made the best decision for him. He has some good wins but neither Lima or Koreshkov have fought really good wrestlers since, and Ben has never beaten a great wrestler himself, so its hard to know how he would fair against a guy like Woodley, GSP, or pre USADA Hendricks.

Because he is a Colin flunky. And the UFC is all in on Colin.

Askren isnt Conor`s friend....He wouldnt jump over a cage for him. Having said that, they didnt get to a settlement back then, also i think Askren talked some trash about the UFC/Dana, so it is what it is, he never fought in the UFC for best or worst.

sucks he never fought in ufc, naysayers are stupid def wouldvle been a top guy

Didnt want someone on the roster that could put Ambien to sleep
LOL and if UFC had signed him.. TS would probably be crying about Askren being boring and bringing the blanket to every fight
Finished 7 out of 9 of his last fight equals boring ? upload_2017-11-24_17-0-39.png
TestyLeftHorseshoebat-max-1mb.gif

Personal Vandetta.

This is exactly why the UFC can't be compared to actual profressional sports.

If you're an elite football player, you're getting signed to a team in the NFL...regardless of whether or not the commissioner likes you.

Thats right, and he got signed by a different "team", Bellator, ONE FC, he can still fight and get sanctioned by an AC ( kind of like the NFL role), but the "UFCers" owner president didnt like him.

Who in those 9 were top 5 at the time? Top 10? Top 20? Top 50? Top 100?
So those guys not being top 10 fighters makes his finishes boring ? I dont understand how could you finishing people regardless of their rank relate to being boring lol. I see you using caveman logic on daily on sherdog lol.

So those guys not being top 10 fighters makes his finishes boring ? I dont understand how could you finishing people regardless of their rank relate to being boring lol. I see you using caveman logic on daily on sherdog lol.
No, it means he is one dimensional and anyone who doesn't suck he will have a 'boring' control gameplan.

I actually don't find fighters like him boring at all, but I think your reasoning is flawed.

Anyone who is considered boring on Sherdog would have tons of finishes if they were fighting guys ranked 200. Fitch would submit every one of them.

No, it means he is one dimensional and anyone who doesn't suck he will have a 'boring' control gameplan.

I actually don't find fighters like him boring at all, but I think your reasoning is flawed.

Anyone who is considered boring on Sherdog would have tons of finishes if they were fighting guys ranked 200. Fitch would submit every one of them.
So you dont think Ben Askren wouldnt finish people in the UFC lol ? Dude has some of the nastiest GnP i seen. He would get loads of finishes. Also so we're calling him boring based on your assumptions ? He has been finishing pretty much everyone he faced in ruthless fashion in the last 4 years. So hes boring because you assume he wont finish noone in the UFC ? Which is nonsense btw. I think your logic is flawed. You post nothing but nonsense and silly opinions on sherdog on daily. So honestly i really dont care what you think lol.

Because one guy constantly insult his future boss and other guy doesn't ?

Back