Anyone ever trained at the Art of Jiu Jitsu Academy..

Relentless chase

The one and only
@Brown
Reaction score
in Costa Mesa ran by none other than some of the best grapplers in BJJ, the Mendes Bro's? I've got some distant family near the area and I'm gonna be going out there for spring break in a few weeks to visit and wanna see if anyone's every trained there, maybe give me some insight on how they do things, how welcoming they are, if the gym is nice and sanitized (which is always a must) and how the training is? I'm thinking about going out and stopping by UFC gym Costa Mesa that Cub opened several months ago as well, so.

I'm not looking to sign a contract or anything, just wanting to stop in for a few nights and roll while I'm there.

Just would like some feedback on what I would need to expect and such.

Honestly, based on my experience, expect to be one in a zillion faceless visitors and treated accordingly.

Place was clean, the training partners were courteous, mendes bros greeted me personally. Just be prepared to get ass whooped by white belts and teenagers (unless they, too, are visitors). It does have a cult-ish vibe , but what bjj academy doesn't?

If you're going during the week of March 4-10th, the brother will most likely not be there teaching, as they will be busy with Pan Ams that week. I do highly recommend stopping by to check the place out though, pictures really don't do it justice. When I stopped in we were lucky enough to catch both of them and got to chat them up a bit before they had to run off. If you want to drop in for a day, it will cost you at least 60 bucks, because you have to rent their gear as well.

If you're going during the week of March 4-10th, the brother will most likely not be there teaching, as they will be busy with Pan Ams that week. I do highly recommend stopping by to check the place out though, pictures really don't do it justice. When I stopped in we were lucky enough to catch both of them and got to chat them up a bit before they had to run off. If you want to drop in for a day, it will cost you at least 60 bucks, because you have to rent their gear as well.
You mean I can't use my own GI?

I have a friend who is a long time BJJ BB. His job has him moving a lot. One move put him near them. He said there style was different than what you usually see. He loved the place. His kimura game grew quite a bit while he was there.

Nick the tooth still there? Place looks awesome
aoj2.jpg

You mean I can't use my own GI?

That's how it was when I stopped in 3 years ago, then again I doubt anyone in our group brought their own plain white gi. They had to rent the aoj gi and rash guard. I respectfully declined and decided just to watch while my teammates participated.

Just curious, what are the highest level competitors AoJ has? i don't mean ATOS, but guys who specifically are coached by the Mendes bros at their gym

Last edited:
Just curious, what are the highest level competitors AoJ has produced? i don't mean ATOS, but guys who specifically are coached by the Mendes bros at their gym
Rick Slomba won Worlds at purple or brown belt right? Maybe him?

Jonathan Alves is a purple belt there now and supposedly wrecks black belts regularly so maybe he's going to be the next big one.

Rick Slomba won Worlds at purple or brown belt right? Maybe him?

Jonathan Alves is a purple belt there now and supposedly wrecks black belts regularly so maybe he's going to be the next big one.

SLOMBA won at purple. I don't think it's was entirely home grown as he was a purple when he got there I think. He had his own gym now.

Gustavo won a master's championship at black

Nick bohli won a world no gi at brown.

To me the real amazing thing is the kids. AOJ and ATOS in general dominate the pans in the kid categories. So really depends how that translate to adults.

I think you now have to rent their in-house white gis and their black rash guards for no-gi.

I live in LA and even my coach said that place is worth dropping in a few times to check out. But having to rent their gi's and rashguards is unreasonable.
I understand if they have a no camo rule but, come on...

Just curious, what are the highest level competitors AoJ has? i don't mean ATOS, but guys who specifically are coached by the Mendes bros at their gym

Jonatha Alves is the guy you're looking for. That dude is insane. He will likely shred purple belt worlds this year and take brown as well when he gets there. Barring any injury, he will do well at black

Place was clean, the training partners were courteous, mendes bros greeted me personally. Just be prepared to get ass whooped by white belts and teenagers (unless they, too, are visitors). It does have a cult-ish vibe , but what bjj academy doesn't?

I have rolled with plenty of casual aoj guys of various belts and they seem no different than most other casual guys.

I live in LA and even my coach said that place is worth dropping in a few times to check out. But having to rent their gi's and rashguards is unreasonable.
I understand if they have a no camo rule but, come on...
How much does it cost to rent since I can't use my own? do you know?

I have a week pass there that I never used. I called them up a couple of months ago and they said I could wear my own gi. I do think you have to wear a rashguard there.

Back