Anyone ever notice Kyle Snyder wrestles like a Cowboy?

Uchi Mata

Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks
@Gold
Reaction score
I never really noticed it particularly, but I was watching a match and noticed that his whole game is low singles, high crotches, etc. All standard John Smith stuff, amazing to see from a HW but I don't see any OSU influence in his coaching history. Not that other people can't use those moves, just struck me as very John Smith.

HE obviously spends a lot time in the room with Tervel Dlagnev who is also known for his low single as a HWT.

Wrestlers have a certain style before they get to college and you'll usually pick the coach that you think will maximize your talents.

Take Jordan Oliver for a example. He was a slick low single guy in HS and decided that OSU and Smith were perfect to maximize his talents.

Nice match, he can really get deep in on a leg really quickly for a big guy like him. I wish his olympic final was as exciting as this was though...

Nice match, he can really get deep in on a leg really quickly for a big guy like him. I wish his olympic final was as exciting as this was though...

This was a mismatch. Those are always more visually exciting in pretty much any style of grappling.

This was a mismatch. Those are always more visually exciting in pretty much any style of grappling.
Yeah, you're right. I would rather watch this all day than watch an olympic final, with a pushout score, and an inactivity score (I can't remember the exact result), and a lot of half assed single leg feints from a single collar tie. I appreciate that he got the win, but it was far from a memorable win.. even Sadulaev managed to get a good score and turn over lol.

Great video! There are some differences though, between him and the John Smith/ OSU style. Smith did a lot of his moves from the open, Snyder will tie up, head snap, and then go for the low single, or high crotch. PolishHeadLock is right, his style is more similar to Terval Dlegnev.

I would say your assessment is wrong. Cowboy style is usually from open, very low stance, lots of fakes, minimal upper body attacks. Snyder is constantly in the tie, much more upright, and goes upper body all the time.

High crotch and low single arent signature to John Smith; all wrestlers learn these moves and have them from their first year on. I would be curious to hear what TS and other feel is the Ohio State style of wrestling?

I would say your assessment is wrong. Cowboy style is usually from open, very low stance, lots of fakes, minimal upper body attacks. Snyder is constantly in the tie, much more upright, and goes upper body all the time.

High crotch and low single arent signature to John Smith; all wrestlers learn these moves and have them from their first year on. I would be curious to hear what TS and other feel is the Ohio State style of wrestling?

I don't really think there is one. Most schools I don't associate with a specific style, but those with long time successful coaches with very distinct styles who have left their imprint on the team I do. The only two that come to mind off the top of my head are Iowa and OSU, because of the influence of Gable and Smith. But I'm hardly an encyclopedia of collegiate wrestling.

I guess what made me take special note of Snyder is that I don't really associate the repertoire he was using in this match with HWs. Yeah, he was tying up, but he was also shooting off the initial engagement at a distance, and the speed with which he was getting under made me think of Smith back in the day. Maybe the speed differential was what triggered the association, I don't know. Someone else mentioned Tervel Dlegnev, I'll have to check him out.

I would be curious to hear what TS and other feel is the Ohio State style of wrestling?

Wait till second period, hope you get the coin toss, then win with some sweet cross body ride :V

It's funny I was just talking about this with someone. And my observation is that Ohio state doesn't really have a distinctive "style" system or mentality. More that their coaches are good at developing/maximizing a particular wrestlers individual style and skills then peaking them.

I can't speak to Snyder or Martin because I haven't seen footage of them in high school. But almost all of the Ohio state wrestlers I've seen footage of in high school. The Stiebers, Jaggers, Bergman, Pucillo, Tomasello etc. all look like they got better at what they did in high school, not like they started being indoctrinated in a system like you see in at least some Iowa and OSU guys.

The one exception I can for sure say is the Jordan Brothers, they are much more wide open and diverse in offense now. In high school they were square stance, methodical movement, hands low, crisp technical sweeps

I don't really think there is one. Most schools I don't associate with a specific style, but those with long time successful coaches with very distinct styles who have left their imprint on the team I do. The only two that come to mind off the top of my head are Iowa and OSU, because of the influence of Gable and Smith. But I'm hardly an encyclopedia of collegiate wrestling.

I guess what made me take special note of Snyder is that I don't really associate the repertoire he was using in this match with HWs. Yeah, he was tying up, but he was also shooting off the initial engagement at a distance, and the speed with which he was getting under made me think of Smith back in the day. Maybe the speed differential was what triggered the association, I don't know. Someone else mentioned Tervel Dlegnev, I'll have to check him out.
Snyder looks way more like Cael than Smith

Snyder looks way more like Cael than Smith

You think so? I associate Cael with ankle picks, low doubles, not so much low singles and high crotches.

It's funny I was just talking about this with someone. And my observation is that Ohio state doesn't really have a distinctive "style" system or mentality. More that their coaches are good at developing/maximizing a particular wrestlers individual style and skills then peaking them.

I can't speak to Snyder or Martin because I haven't seen footage of them in high school. But almost all of the Ohio state wrestlers I've seen footage of in high school. The Stiebers, Jaggers, Bergman, Pucillo, Tomasello etc. all look like they got better at what they did in high school, not like they started being indoctrinated in a system like you see in at least some Iowa and OSU guys.

The one exception I can for sure say is the Jordan Brothers, they are much more wide open and diverse in offense now. In high school they were square stance, methodical movement, hands low, crisp technical sweeps
Wish Maryland would find a way to keep their top high school wrestlers (like Martin and Snyder) in state. I know myles didn't grow up in MD but he went to high school here. With md in the big 10 now it's a double whammy losing them to Ohio state.

Wish Maryland would find a way to keep their top high school wrestlers (like Martin and Snyder) in state. I know myles didn't grow up in MD but he went to high school here. With md in the big 10 now it's a double whammy losing them to Ohio state.

Maryland has the ability to be a very good program but guys like Snyder, Hall and Spencer Lee more often than not are going to end up at PSU/Iowa/OSU and now tOSU.

Those schools have regional Olympic training centers and more funding.

MD has to churn out somebody who competes well internationally to change that imo.

Maryland has the ability to be a very good program but guys like Snyder, Hall and Spencer Lee more often than not are going to end up at PSU/Iowa/OSU and now tOSU.

Those schools have regional Olympic training centers and more funding.

MD has to churn out somebody who competes well internationally to change that imo.
I agree....but losing most of the top talent makes that even harder.

Back