Anyone ever decide to stop getting stronger?

Because as you age, your once challenging-but-can-work-around-it workout will become tougher. You'll have responsibilities at your job (I hope for you), a wife, kids, etc. You'll sleep less each night, without knowing why (I'm lucky if I get 6 hours these days). Nothing original really, just what we call a life. I just don't believe that you can lift heavy if you don't dedicate a good chunk of your life to it, be it diet, rest/impact on social life or gym time. Whereas if you train volume for beach body, or are just fucking around at the gym with no attention to your diet etc., there is less chance you'll get some injury. You won't get much results, sure, but if it's just a hobby why shoot for the stars if it put your health at risk?

I just don't know anyone who hasn't one nagging injury past 40 yo. I'm not just talking about injuries in the gym. I'm talking this motorcycle accident you had when you were 15? Well up to 40 you were good with it, now all of a sudden you'll start feeling it again on rainy days and shit like that. No fun at all. Adding to it by putting heavy load on my back? Yeah right!

I've also been on this site 10+ years so I've seen my share of "just squat!" bros that will say squat is great for you and if you feel pain, you're doing it wrong. Well guess what, not all body types are right for squats! Yeah I could spend 2 hours a day with a trainer to maybe try and fix some mistakes, but I don't think I'm getting away with bad knees due to being obese in the past and levers/body shape definitely not designed for squats.

I would bet you a finger the money was not his prime motivator in the slightest.

I'm fairly certain the high level of televised competition, fame, money, etc. are all major factors. Hitting some numbers in the gym or a powerlifting meet have none of those. It's a horrible comparison.

I'm 37 now and play guard and DE, I'm consistently looking to get stronger and my goal is to see how long I can give 20yr olds a bad time. My dedication to self improvement is why I can compete.

Getting stronger is basically a thing I have to do to do what I want to do.

When injuries force me out of the game for too much of the year I'll be forced to consider moving to more general health and appearance but I'm not sure I'll ever stop lifting heavy. I might just reign it in a bit.

I can relate.

Because as you age, your once challenging-but-can-work-around-it workout will become tougher. You'll have responsibilities at your job (I hope for you), a wife, kids, etc. You'll sleep less each night, without knowing why (I'm lucky if I get 6 hours these days). Nothing original really, just what we call a life. I just don't believe that you can lift heavy if you don't dedicate a good chunk of your life to it, be it diet, rest/impact on social life or gym time. Whereas if you train volume for beach body, or are just fucking around at the gym with no attention to your diet etc., there is less chance you'll get some injury. You won't get much results, sure, but if it's just a hobby why shoot for the stars if it put your health at risk?

I just don't know anyone who hasn't one nagging injury past 40 yo. I'm not just talking about injuries in the gym. I'm talking this motorcycle accident you had when you were 15? Well up to 40 you were good with it, now all of a sudden you'll start feeling it again on rainy days and shit like that. No fun at all. Adding to it by putting heavy load on my back? Yeah right!

I've also been on this site 10+ years so I've seen my share of "just squat!" bros that will say squat is great for you and if you feel pain, you're doing it wrong. Well guess what, not all body types are right for squats! Yeah I could spend 2 hours a day with a trainer to maybe try and fix some mistakes, but I don't think I'm getting away with bad knees due to being obese in the past and levers/body shape definitely not designed for squats.

I don't know man, while I get what your saying, it sort of seems like excuses.

I work 40-50 hours a week, wife, also doing some classes part time. I ended up just getting a squat rack and a bench in the garage so I could save time. I'm no professional but I'd like to do some powerlifting meets, I train as much as I can, about an hour 4x a week, sometimes it's super early before work, sometimes it's at night or in the afternoon.

Being stronger than I was before really seems to help old injuries and I'm approaching 40 and feel better than when I don't lift.

I don't know man, while I get what your saying, it sort of seems like excuses.

I work 40-50 hours a week, wife, also doing some classes part time. I ended up just getting a squat rack and a bench in the garage so I could save time. I'm no professional but I'd like to do some powerlifting meets, I train as much as I can, about an hour 4x a week, sometimes it's super early before work, sometimes it's at night or in the afternoon.

Being stronger than I was before really seems to help old injuries and I'm approaching 40 and feel better than when I don't lift.

Honestly not trying to be a dick here, but you said earlier you squat around 335 lbs. How long have you been lifting? Obviously the more weight you are moving, the more years under the bar, and the more you age, it all compounds to more aches and pains. I do think you can continue lifting into your middle age years without major injuries besides aches and pains. With that said, I think you are going to need to devote more time to it the longer you go, make sacrifices for that, and be ok with dealing with the aches and pains - especially if you are looking to constantly improve your total. For most, the cost/benefit ratio starts changing quite a bit as you get older with more responsibilities, less time, and honestly, more important shit going on in your life than adding lbs to your total.

Honestly not trying to be a dick here, but you said earlier you squat around 335 lbs. How long have you been lifting? Obviously the more weight you are moving, the more years under the bar, and the more you age, it all compounds to more aches and pains. I do think you can continue lifting into your middle age years without major injuries besides aches and pains. With that said, I think you are going to need to devote more time to it the longer you go, make sacrifices for that, and be ok with dealing with the aches and pains - especially if you are looking to constantly improve your total. For most, the cost/benefit ratio starts changing quite a bit as you get older with more responsibilities, less time, and honestly, more important shit going on in your life than adding lbs to your total.

Only been seriously back at it for a year or so, maybe a bit longer. The 335 is for 3x5.

I agree stuff gets in the way and there's more important stuff to do but 3-4 hours a week should be easy enough to find if its something you actually want to do. If not, no big deal.

It's not only the time you put in, I spend anywhere btw 6 to 10 hours per week at the gym (weights but also cardio etc.).
My point is specifically in regards to getting stronger. Past a certain age, progress is very, very slow, no matter your dedication. Law of diminishing returns and all that. So if your focus is to beat previous PRs, I'd say there's a 99% probability you'll get some injury while chasing them.

I had to dial back on volume recently, because I liked going to the gym every day even if I'm tired and all, but though my head is in it my body is not unfortunately. I could barely flex my knees when I decided to check my ego because this shit is not worth it, unless it's your passion or something. I'm very happy when I beat a PR but will not put my health on the line for them.

Only been seriously back at it for a year or so, maybe a bit longer. The 335 is for 3x5.

I agree stuff gets in the way and there's more important stuff to do but 3-4 hours a week should be easy enough to find if its something you actually want to do. If not, no big deal.

Sure, I still get out there 3-4 hours a week, but honestly, that's not much if you want to see progress after a certain point. If I want to take my squat from near 500 lbs to 600 lbs, it's going to be quite a bit of work in my mid 30's. I'd have to increase volume quite a bit. Look at a program like Sheiko. There is no way in hell I'd have the time or desire to do that now.

I did a go ruck thing once, it was boring as shit and the people in the group were jackasses. All they talked about was rucking like its some sort of actual sport or something, they were obsessed with it.

Athletically, it was the lowest point in my life and I'll never do it again.

I'm a member of a club so I don't have to hook up with strangers. We do events together like the "12 and 12" which is 12 miles in less than 3.5 hours with a mandatory beer consumed at each mile. Plus the few I had as a warm up. I got a little sick...

I'm a member of a club so I don't have to hook up with strangers. We do events together like the "12 and 12" which is 12 miles in less than 3.5 hours with a mandatory beer consumed at each mile. Plus the few I had as a warm up. I got a little sick...

An event like that could get me running again.

Sure, I still get out there 3-4 hours a week, but honestly, that's not much if you want to see progress after a certain point. If I want to take my squat from near 500 lbs to 600 lbs, it's going to be quite a bit of work in my mid 30's. I'd have to increase volume quite a bit. Look at a program like Sheiko. There is no way in hell I'd have the time or desire to do that now.

I do agree, especially about the sport aspect of it. I sort of
An event like that could get me running again.

What about hiking with a loaded backpack?

That sounds fun, at least at first.

When I went, I just took my backpacking pack and had some sandbags in it, they weighed it and it was good to go. The people I was with all had these fucking strange packs made just for rucking events that even had specially shaped weight plates to slide into the special packs....they kept making cracks about my pack.

Sort of off putting since I was just sort of trying to meet people. Sort of been my experience with trying crossfit as well.

You can never say with absolute certainty on anything (such a cop out as a qualifier but technically true), but realistically the incidence of injury during lifting is so low compared to other sports or even recreational activities that in practical terms you have no good reason to assume injury is a prerequisite. No more than you assume that going outside your front door is dangerous, or driving a car or flying in a plane is dangerous. Relative to life, lifting with good form is safe.

The mentality of "well once I lift 700lbs, I'll try and lift 705lbs, eventually injury will occur" is such a pathetic mindset. If you follow that logic train back, then the conclusion is this: "Eventually I'll die, rendering every endeavour in my life ultimately pointless, so why bother doing anything?"

Fuck that.
Hahha, speaking of "cop out."

Injuries occur, son, even with alleged "perfect form." You may have excellent form, but as a set trucks on, going for a PR, fatigue occurs, and form will deteriorate from energy being used. Then boom, youre hurt, and out for months.

Look, the TS was merely questioning the goal of finding a purpose of getting stronger. I too question it after, geez, 22 years of lifting, because, truthfully, there is nothing in the real world i can do with a 700lb squat. Perhaps you are superman, have perfect form, never getting injured. Ok, lets see when superman eventaully bench presses the moon, well see if his shoulder gives out.

Food for thought, you know the number 1 kind of person who dies from moutain climbing? Expert mountain climbers.

You know the number 1 person who dies? Anyone that drinks water.

I have a borowed Kifaru pack which cost an insane $550- . The set up I'm putting together for my own is a $100- Blackhawk and I too use sand bags. Goruck bags are insanely over priced. There are elititists in everything nowadays but the Cleveland Rucking Crew hasn't been like that yet and the guys I train with at TeamRWB use their old military rucks.

As far as running I hate fast walking so when I ruck I alternate the slow jog with walking depending on the weight. 40lbs and less I pretty much jog the whole thing unless we'er doing PT too.

^ $550 for basically a weighted back pack? Is there any other use for those, like climbing or even grocery store for that matter... at that price, I wanna carry it everywhere!

I have a borowed Kifaru pack which cost an insane $550- . The set up I'm putting together for my own is a $100- Blackhawk and I too use sand bags. Goruck bags are insanely over priced. There are elititists in everything nowadays but the Cleveland Rucking Crew hasn't been like that yet and the guys I train with at TeamRWB use their old military rucks.

As far as running I hate fast walking so when I ruck I alternate the slow jog with walking depending on the weight. 40lbs and less I pretty much jog the whole thing unless we'er doing PT too.

I have a kifaru pack, hut the nonentities for the rucking thing was an old Gregory.

^ $550 for basically a weighted back pack? Is there any other use for those, like climbing or even grocery store for that matter... at that price, I wanna carry it everywhere!

Mountaineering, backpacking, hunting....anything that you'd need an awesome pack for. Kifaru makes awesome
Packs.

I use mine for plane trips too. No checked luggage or carry on fee. I'm a simple dude wardrobe wise.

What about hiking with a loaded backpack?

Too time-consuming and requires too much organization. I need to do something that I can just do whenever I want, at the drop of a hat. Planning a journey out of town, meeting up with other people, doing something all day- doesn't work for a lot of reasons.

I'm also just not that into walking. Trail running is awesome, but walking I find a bit boring.

Back