Anyone ever decide to stop getting stronger?

Thats how I treated my L5 injury years ago. After rehab, I made it a life purpose to learn the deadlift and squat in its purest form. Ive not triggered my disc since.

However, I am now around that weight that the injury occurred and I just dont have the confidence. Say I do lift 405. What then? You know what then. 410. Eventually, that injury will happen again.

Actually, no. The process of building up with good form should provide a stress response to the support muscles and in fact main muscles so that they adapt and can handle the load. Hence why people blow past old injury PR's. Brandon Lilly is a good example - he catastrophically blew his knees out with 750lbs and has since squatted more.

Actually, no. The process of building up with good form should provide a stress response to the support muscles and in fact main muscles so that they adapt and can handle the load. Hence why people blow past old injury PR's. Brandon Lilly is a good example - he catastrophically blew his knees out with 750lbs and has since squatted more.

Thats my point. 750 was accomplished so whats next? 755.

Eventually, yes, you will get hurt.

Aging sucks.

Not necessarily.

Also, people always look at injuries like the end of their lifting. Shit happens. Recover, rehab, get back to lifting, and blow past those old PRs.

My PRs dont even count honestly. If you saw how i was doing conventional and romanian deads in 2p04, youd be recording me for Exercises in Futility. Fucking hate that i screwed shit up.

Good thing to be forced to learn the lifts properly.

To go along with the thread, honestly, its a 'cool' thing to know that i can lift some heavy shit, it is. However, if i have to increase my calories eventually to look fat, just to lift a god like weight, i personally would skip it.

Now if i could do it while being kinda cut, drug free, and most importantly, injury free, then absolutely.

Again, even if this is the case, so the fuck what? You only want to lift if nothing ever feels a little tweaked or injured? You think you can lift weights without the possibility of any negative repercussions/injuries ever?

Do fighters stop fighting if they get cut? Anderson snapped his leg and came back. Do cyclists quit forever when they crash on a descent, going 50-60mph?

Thats my point. 750 was accomplished so whats next? 755.

Aging sucks.

Very few people are ever going to get to the point where they will get hurt by going for too much. The vast majority will give up long before then or will get hurt due to their terrible form or attempting stupid things.

I think the $800,000.00 paycheck for Anderson Silva was a pretty good motivator to come back from an injury.

Very few people are ever going to get to the point where they will get hurt by going for too much. The vast majority will give up long before then or will get hurt due to their terrible form or attempting stupid things.

Meh, who knows. Common sense dictates that a lifter will continue to keep lifting heavier weights as long as he or she wants to, sure. As to why they stop? We can all fill in the blank.

Me? I want the muscles i have to look good enough to get me laid and strong enough to have purpose.

Again, even if this is the case, so the fuck what? You only want to lift if nothing ever feels a little tweaked or injured? You think you can lift weights without the possibility of any negative repercussions/injuries ever?

Do fighters stop fighting if they get cut? Anderson snapped his leg and came back. Do cyclists quit forever when they crash on a descent, going 50-60mph?

Perhaps they should? I dont know, its not up to me.

Truthfully thoigh, Squatting 700lbs would be nice, but, where the fuck am i gonna need that lift in my life? If i bench press over 405, how does that make my life better?

Truthfully thoigh, Squatting 700lbs would be nice, but, where the fuck am i gonna need that lift in my life? If i bench press over 405, how does that make my life better?

/any hobby or sport ever

I'd say it's about the journey, not just the outcome. If you hate every single second of the training, it's not the right sport for you, even if you care about the end goal. If you enjoy the training and everything that comes with it, that's a good enough reason to keep doing it, no matter the outcome.

You're not saying that if you always lift with good form you will never be injured, though, right? Because that is certainly not true- overuse can lead to direct injuries and can set up other problems. And some people have inherently weaker connective tissue that has less capacity to be strengthened than normal people's. That can be more prone to failure whatever the athlete does.

Eat right, do cardio, high volume and just look good naked. Strength is overrated if you're not an athlete. As soon as I let go of "how much you bench, bro" I started enjoying lifting again and am actually getting decent gains and I'm not getting injured anymore. Overall health has improved as well.

I think the $800,000.00 paycheck for Anderson Silva was a pretty good motivator to come back from an injury.

I would bet you a finger the money was not his prime motivator in the slightest.

I'm 37 now and play guard and DE, I'm consistently looking to get stronger and my goal is to see how long I can give 20yr olds a bad time. My dedication to self improvement is why I can compete.

Getting stronger is basically a thing I have to do to do what I want to do.

When injuries force me out of the game for too much of the year I'll be forced to consider moving to more general health and appearance but I'm not sure I'll ever stop lifting heavy. I might just reign it in a bit.

You're not saying that if you always lift with good form you will never be injured, though, right? Because that is certainly not true- overuse can lead to direct injuries and can set up other problems. And some people have inherently weaker connective tissue that has less capacity to be strengthened than normal people's. That can be more prone to failure whatever the athlete does.

You can never say with absolute certainty on anything (such a cop out as a qualifier but technically true), but realistically the incidence of injury during lifting is so low compared to other sports or even recreational activities that in practical terms you have no good reason to assume injury is a prerequisite. No more than you assume that going outside your front door is dangerous, or driving a car or flying in a plane is dangerous. Relative to life, lifting with good form is safe.

The mentality of "well once I lift 700lbs, I'll try and lift 705lbs, eventually injury will occur" is such a pathetic mindset. If you follow that logic train back, then the conclusion is this: "Eventually I'll die, rendering every endeavour in my life ultimately pointless, so why bother doing anything?"

Fuck that.

I've never been "injured" from lifting to the point where I've had to take time off.

You can never say with absolute certainty on anything (such a cop out as a qualifier but technically true), but realistically the incidence of injury during lifting is so low compared to other sports or even recreational activities that in practical terms you have no good reason to assume injury is a prerequisite. No more than you assume that going outside your front door is dangerous, or driving a car or flying in a plane is dangerous. Relative to life, lifting with good form is safe.

The mentality of "well once I lift 700lbs, I'll try and lift 705lbs, eventually injury will occur" is such a pathetic mindset. If you follow that logic train back, then the conclusion is this: "Eventually I'll die, rendering every endeavour in my life ultimately pointless, so why bother doing anything?"

Fuck that.

I don't disagree with what you said, but you didn't address my question/point. I was trying to find out if you subscribe to the "you can't get injured if you use correct technique" school of thought. As you seemed to be getting close to saying that in an earlier post.

I don't disagree with what you said, but you didn't address my question/point. I was trying to find out if you subscribe to the "you can't get injured if you use correct technique" school of thought. As you seemed to be getting close to saying that in an earlier post.

Well if we're being exact, I said that lifting with proper form SHOULD allow the body tissues to adapt to the stresses required of them, that was enough of a qualifier compared to saying they definitely WOULD. You can do everything correctly and still get fucked up. Just like driving correctly through a green light can still get you t-boned and killed on the road. The overarching point is that some shit is out of your control in life, that's unavoidable. Realistically, lifting weights is safe if you do it right.

Not sure how people do not understand "I don't want to feel injuries throughout my life, not being able to squat on the toilets without my knees hurting, my hips cramping etc.". It's not only injuries you'll feel during training, this I can work around.

But when climbing stairs fucking hurts, yeah I don't give a shit about how much I can lift. My life is not all about gym numbers.

And fuck you if you're 25 or something and saying to get back on the horse whatever the cost. You don't know nothing.

Not sure how people do not understand "I don't want to feel injuries throughout my life, not being able to squat on the toilets without my knees hurting, my hips cramping etc.". It's not only injuries you'll feel during training, this I can work around.

But when climbing stairs fucking hurts, yeah I don't give a shit about how much I can lift. My life is not all about gym numbers.

And fuck you if you're 25 or something and saying to get back on the horse whatever the cost. You don't know nothing.

I do t know why people always think lifting heavy will aotpmatically injure you and wear your body out.

It's ridiculous. I have a friend who always tells me I should stop the powerlifting stuff (I'm not all that strong) he keeps saying shit like "bro, I'm 43, trust me"....telling me I should use machines and stuff.

If I'm not getting injured and not feeling major aches and pains from lifting, why would it just somehow wear out my body???

Squatting and deadlifting make my back and knees feel better, maybe your doing something wrong if ur knees hurt from stairs.

And take it for what it's worth, I only swuat like 335.

Back