Anyone Ever Bought Land and Built a Home on It?

SFMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I live in California, my wife and I are recently married and are looking into buying a home in the Bay Area. We were thinking about buying land and then placing these two (or something similar style homes on it) with the first image being the main home and the second being the in-law unit:

Solaire_Standard_Angle%203_Final.jpeg

Cabana.jpeg

Anyway, is there any recommended reading or information? I don't even know the first thing about buying the land to make sure it's right for permits, make-ready site work, etc. I'm not even sure where to start in the process. We were thinking about starting with the "...for Dummies" series, as I don't personally know anyone else that's done this.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

So I live in California, my wife and I are recently married and are looking into buying a home in the Bay Area. We were thinking about buying land and then placing these two (or something similar style homes on it) with the first image being the main home and the second being the in-law unit:

Solaire_Standard_Angle%203_Final.jpeg

Cabana.jpeg

Anyway, is there any recommended reading or information? I don't even know the first thing about buying the land to make sure it's right for permits, make-ready site work, etc. I'm not even sure where to start in the process. We were thinking about starting with the "...for Dummies" series, as I don't personally know anyone else that's done this.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Just talk to a realtor.

Just talk to a realtor.

Was looking for advice from someone on this message board that has done this specific thing before, not some oily chode who's going to milk me for everything I'm worth.

I eventually will have to talk to a realtor, but until then I'll keep them at arm's length.

Last edited:
Seems like a giant headache dealing with construction companies, specifications, zoning, etc, but let us know how it goes.

Seems like a giant headache dealing with construction companies, specifications, zoning, etc, but let us know how it goes.
If you find a good general contractor then that's their job and they can handle everything. The problem is finding a good one and then when you do you will pay for their services. I think it's worth it though over sub contracting everything yourself because you have the potential to cost yourself even more money if something is done wrong.

To the TS, that's my best advice. Find and do your research for a contractor. My goal is to get out of the suburbs and build my own house on a big patch of land. Good luck living the dream man

If you find a good general contractor then that's their job and they can handle everything. The problem is finding a good one and then when you do you will pay for their services. I think it's worth it though over sub contracting everything yourself because you have the potential to cost yourself even more money if something is done wrong.

To the TS, that's my best advice. Find and do your research for a contractor. My goal is to get out of the suburbs and build my own house on a big patch of land. Good luck living the dream man

Thanks, dawg. I actually work for a GC, but it's mega projects so it doesn't help me a ton in regards to estimating, pricing, preconstruction, etc.

research home builders in your area.

Was looking for advice from someone on this message board that has done this specific thing before, not some oily chode who's going to milk me for everything I'm worth.

I eventually will have to talk to a realtor, but until then I'm keep them at arm's length.

He gave you perfect advice. Talk to a realtor- it is there job to know.

I have bought property and built on it. There are many building codes and zoning codes with which you must comply. I didn't use a realtor. Don't be like me, use a realtor.

Are you converting shipping containers?

If you're able to afford the land there...why aren't you building?

Thanks, dawg. I actually work for a GC, but it's mega projects so it doesn't help me a ton in regards to estimating, pricing, preconstruction, etc.
Those are some badass designs too. I love contemporary houses but they're not exactly the norm in the south so it'd be a terrible investment to build one here unfortunately

Not bought land and built, but I have a cabin on a lake that has a lot of the same issues.
If you're looking into building, your big things are power, water, foundations and septic. Running power to your house is charged by the pole. Your going need either a well and a septic system or connection to municipal water supply. Well and septic is all dependent on soil tips and distance to water sources. It can run from $5 or 6k in perfect conditions, to $50k in shitty conditions. If you can hook up to mains, again you pay by the distance from the main lines. Foundations depends on the ground your building on and what you need. Are you on a slope, clay, sand, bedrock etc. Then there's other costs like clear cutting and stump grinding you might have to factor in.

Another option would be to find a shity house on good land with all the hook ups. Demolish what's there plug in to the lines and build what you want

its worth it if u know the contractor and what you want. go for small and quality as opposed to big and cheap

Just tell them you want to do a micro mega project.

How many floors can you build, and what is the specific zoning? I talk to architect, and try to build a multifamily. YOu can live in one of units. The RE demands in Bay Area are tremendous.

Not bought land and built, but I have a cabin on a lake that has a lot of the same issues.
If you're looking into building, your big things are power, water, foundations and septic. Running power to your house is charged by the pole. Your going need either a well and a septic system or connection to municipal water supply. Well and septic is all dependent on soil tips and distance to water sources. It can run from $5 or 6k in perfect conditions, to $50k in shitty conditions. If you can hook up to mains, again you pay by the distance from the main lines. Foundations depends on the ground your building on and what you need. Are you on a slope, clay, sand, bedrock etc. Then there's other costs like clear cutting and stump grinding you might have to factor in.

Another option would be to find a shity house on good land with all the hook ups. Demolish what's there plug in to the lines and build what you want

Exactly this right here.

Also TS, if you want two separate units on that land, your choices may be limited based on zoning laws.

I bought land and built a house and garage in 1978. At that time there weren't many requirements that had to be met other than needing 5 acres to build and having a percolation test done to confirm the viability of a septic system. I designed the house. Had a builder frame it up and put the roof on. Then plumbed it, wired it and installed the heating and air conditioning system.

There should be a building inspection department you should contact. You don't want land at the bottom of a hill. A slight slope is preferred so water runs off.

Last edited:
Are you converting shipping containers?

No. We initially played with the idea, but East Bay gets insanely hot and insulating those can be a nightmare. We also aren't that limited in funds that we would need to.

Back