Anyone Else Underwhelmed With the State of UFC?

I haven't really tuned in for a card in a long time now. The only champ who wants to go show up for work is Johnson, and he doesn't have anyone to really challenge him.

Woodley fought the #1 contender twice since winning the belt and Wonderboy is a stylistic nightmare of a fight. Yet, Woodley did his duty and has fought the best regularly since becoming champ at 170. How is that not defending? Don't lump Woodley in there with Bisping and Conor.
Woodley essentially had no choice with Wonderboy since it was so razor close, but it seems lately he's been lobbying for big fights rather than taking Maia who everyone knows beyond deserves it. No he's not as bad as Bisping and Conor, but he seems to be getting pretty selective himself.

Right... Case and point, just look at Ryan Bader. He will easily walk through the UFC LHW division now that he edged Phil frickin' Davis.

you'd hate to have paid $4B+ for this pile of hot mess.

everything that is alive will die eventually, just like the UFC

so..

UFC is dying

only a matter of time

It sucks right now. 2017 has been an awful year for the UFC and MMA in general thus far.

I think the main reasons are:

- No big star(s) fighting. Conor is sitting out, Ronda is gone, GSP is still honeydicking us.

- Watered down cards. Do we need 1000000 shitty fight cards? If they scrapped a shitload of these Fight Nights and instead compressed them into a lot less cards we would have pretty much only stacked cards.

- Title fights chaos. Champs not fighting contenders and constant campaigning for easy big money fights over actually challenging fights.

Woodley essentially had no choice with Wonderboy since it was so razor close, but it seems lately he's been lobbying for big fights rather than taking Maia who everyone knows beyond deserves it. No he's not as bad as Bisping and Conor, but he seems to be getting pretty selective himself.
Conor has zero title defenses, Bisping defended against Hendo and Woodley fought Wonderboy twice. I would say that Woodley is clearly in a different category given the facts.

Woodley will fight Maia if the UFC decides to make that fight. I think the GSP - Bisping opportunity is the fly in the ointment. If the UFC makes GSP - Bisping happen, then Woodley - Maia happens. If GSP - Bisping doesn't happen, then GSP probably gets a title fight vs. Woodley at 170. Woodley is a great fighter, but he is not a big PPV draw like Conor, GSP or Rousey when she was on a roll. Woodley will fight who the UFC tells him to fight and if he gets GSP, there will be a big pay day. If its Maia, it will be just a regular pay day. Woodley will crack Maia early and that fight will be over before anyone breaks a hard sweat. I still remember Maia flying backwards when Marquardt cracked him with a straight right hand. Maybe not as early since Maia and Woodley will be conservative, but at some point Woodley will be in range and land with the same nap time result...

Last edited:
I started watching MMA August of last year and I'm starting to enjoy watching old fights with the greats of past than a lot of the newer stuff. There's something about the likes of Cro Cop, Fedor, Saku, GSP, BJ, Hughes, etc that feels different than what I see now.

That said, I'm a huge Conor fan lol

Ain't nothing like the old school.

Sherdog seems evenly split between "UFC needs to build up young/new stars" and "how can (blank) be in the main event? I don't even know that guy! Psyched for 40 year old Wand in Bellator! "

I have never seen the ufc any worse than what it is right now.

Im somewhat hyped about Jons return vs DC, other than that ill stream some replays of UFC213, Overeem vs Werdum and Romero ill probably watch... other than that, and this whole year, i have nothing to watch for really.

I think the main reasons are:

- No big star(s) fighting. Conor is sitting out, Ronda is gone, GSP is still honeydicking us.

- Watered down cards. Do we need 1000000 shitty fight cards? If they scrapped a shitload of these Fight Nights and instead compressed them into a lot less cards we would have pretty much only stacked cards.

- Title fights chaos. Champs not fighting contenders and constant campaigning for easy big money fights over actually challenging fights.

This X1,0000. Once they changed their format when they moved to Fox it's been downhill for my interest in the UFC. Before you would watch TUF and get hyped for PPV's through the countdown show(those were great on Spike back in the day) and every once in a while you'd get a free Spike show to get hyped about and those shows were usually where you would see some young guy on the come up to get hyped about. Then they would play UFC Unleashed with all the old relevant fights from whoever was coming up on the next PPV. Also you only had 5 champions and 5 weight classes that could easily be followed as far as who's on top and who's coming up, now there are 20 titles floating around and too many weight classes. It's just too convoluted and too far spread out, plus I don't even have FS1 and nobody I know has it. Bellator can certainly learn from the UFC what not to do.

Last edited:
I am not impressed with their presentation and the cards they are doing this days they mess up the rankings

So UFC finally dying for real this time?

Yeah, like Tito and Randy defending their straps against WWF wrestlers while the killers that cleaned out the division stood by. Good ole days.
They defended their straps
They defended their straps
Defended their straps
Defended

Defend

Back