Gennady Golovkin?

I saw faster/better head movement from his opponent.

Ill give some fights a rewatch but dont think its going to change much. Most of his opponents have been punching bags.

Would you honestly have ever imagined the GGG from 2 or 3 years ago would land just 4 body shots against an opponent who spent most of 12 rounds on the fucking ropes?

That is not about defense or head movement. That is about a great fighter getting old and not having the same stuff he did a couple of years ago.

Would you honestly have ever imagined the GGG from 2 or 3 years ago would land just 4 body shots against an opponent who spent most of 12 rounds on the fucking ropes?

That is not about defense or head movement. That is about a great fighter getting old and not having the same stuff he did a couple of years ago.

Dunno if you drop the bodywork because you're getting old. He was cautious of Canelo's uppercuts, and maybe he thought working upstairs would be enough. He basically won the Jacobs with the jab. I think it's more of a tactical mistake and we may see more bodywork in the rematch.

Thats about a shit game plan.

I saw faster/better head movement from his opponent.

Ill give some fights a rewatch but dont think its going to change much. Most of his opponents have been punching bags.

Punch velocity is objective and doesn't depend on the opponent, though obviously you'll miss more vs a better defender. But a few years ago he fought Willie Monroe, who is athletic and defensively comparable to Jacobs, and GGG looked much quicker than he has against his recent similarly athletic opponents.

But just going by history, it would be really unlikely that he's as good now as a few years back. I still haven't fond an example of pressure fighter peaking at 35. In fact the only any fighter peaking at 35 I can think of is Hopkins.

Dunno if you drop the bodywork because you're getting old. He was cautious of Canelo's uppercuts, and maybe he thought working upstairs would be enough. He basically won the Jacobs with the jab. I think it's more of a tactical mistake and we may see more bodywork in the rematch.

We don't know if it was a mistake. Maybe it was the right decision given the circumstances.

I believe thats the targets hes throwing at being slick moreso than Golovkins undoing.

Cant comment on the composition difference, Id have to do some comparing to have an opinion there.

Guy looks like the same terminator to me.
I think he's devolved a bit stylistically too (he used to be more responsible defensively in the past IMO and maybe a bit better at cutting off the ring) though his defense seemed more on point than usual (at least, releative to his recent performances) against Canelo (particularly considering how fast Canelo's hands are). I'd pick the GGG that fought against Proksa over this Canelo to win a more clear cut decision, but that's just me.

We don't know if it was a mistake. Maybe it was the right decision given the circumstances.

Well, just my opinion but had he worked the body that Canelo wouldn't have. Had the gas to win late rounds.

Punch velocity is objective and doesn't depend on the opponent, though obviously you'll miss more vs a better defender. But a few years ago he fought Willie Monroe, who is athletic and defensively comparable to Jacobs, and GGG looked much quicker than he has against his recent similarly athletic opponents.

But just going by history, it would be really unlikely that he's as good now as a few years back. I still haven't fond an example of pressure fighter peaking at 35. In fact the only any fighter peaking at 35 I can think of is Hopkins.
Punch velocity will look different when the target youre throwing at is faster than you.

I think he's devolved a bit stylistically too (he used to be more responsible defensively in the past IMO and maybe a bit better at cutting off the ring) though his defense seemed more on point than usual (at least, releative to his recent performances) against Canelo (particularly considering how fast Canelo's hands are). I'd pick the GGG that fought against Proksa over this Canelo to win a more clear cut decision, but that's just me.
I can conceed that its likely a combination of everything discussed in here. His decline, his opponents, the styles. Its a really interesting topic because there is a logical counter view for all of the reasoning.

I lean more towards it being Canelo because I think his defense has been criminally underrated as of late. We got a peak of that vs Cotto, and this was just a brilliant display.

But ya, I wont say that Golovkin is at his physical peak either. Father time does come knocking for us all.

Punch velocity will look different when the target youre throwing at is faster than you.

Of course but again, he hasn't fought only plodders in the past. Anyway we're in agreement that its both decline and a step up in competition.

I don't think anyone denies that Jacobs and Canelo are the two best fighters he's fought. That would be crazy.

I don't think Munroe is particularly athletic or defensively comparable to Jacobs. Munroe consistently found himself stuck on the ropes against a shot Gabriel Rosado.

I have to wonder, if you're underwhelmed by Golovkin then are you also underwhelmed by the 26 year old prime Canelo Alvarez that he just fought? How can you be impressed by a young guy who can't beat an underwhelming old guy?

I have to wonder, if you're underwhelmed by Golovkin then are you also underwhelmed by the 26 year old prime Canelo Alvarez that he just fought? How can you be impressed by a young guy who can't beat an underwhelming old guy?
Two of the top 3 guys at 160 just fought a close fight. Constructive criticism is fair, underwhelmed, declined and any other comments with negative connotations aren't really fair. We have seen so many weight divisions miss their marquee fights and now 160 is stepping up people are looking for excuses to criticise. These guys can't help when they were conceived, but they have the stones to fight each other. I think I understand what nac is saying and I agree with him. If he disagrees with me then I'm obviously enjoying my painkillers too much.

Two of the top 3 guys at 160 just fought a close fight. Constructive criticism is fair, underwhelmed, declined and any other comments with negative connotations aren't really fair. We have seen so many weight divisions miss their marquee fights and now 160 is stepping up people are looking for excuses to criticise. These guys can't help when they were conceived, but they have the stones to fight each other. I think I understand what nac is saying and I agree with him. If he disagrees with me then I'm obviously enjoying my painkillers too much.

I agree. I've been impressed by Canelo, GGG, and Jacobs in each of their recent fights. Each of those fights was very close too, so it's hard to say one guy was "underwhelming" without saying they're all underwhelming. We have 3 top middleweights who are pretty much 50/50 fights with each other.

I agree. I've been impressed by Canelo, GGG, and Jacobs in each of their recent fights. Each of those fights was very close too, so it's hard to say one guy was "underwhelming" without saying they're all underwhelming. We have 3 top middleweights who are pretty much 50/50 fights with each other.

I think Jacobs would be too much for Canelo, TBH.

I think Jacobs would be too much for Canelo, TBH.

This. A good jab finds Canelo. Jacobs has the reach and the skills to land truckloads of them, and the footwork to make Canelo unable to plant his feet and score big counters.

Hes been on a decline the past 2 years. Ever since the wade fight he has looked bad to me,always has fat now, looks less athletic in the ring when he fights and sluggish and slow as shit. Punches arent quick and snappy anymore and he doesnt pull the trigger like he used to.

Hes past it. Shame he couldnt get big fights earlier. He peaked in the lemieux fight its been downhill since then.

Hes been on a decline the past 2 years. Ever since the wade fight he has looked bad to me,always has fat now, looks less athletic in the ring when he fights and sluggish and slow as shit. Punches arent quick and snappy anymore and he doesnt pull the trigger like he used to.

Hes past it. Shame he couldnt get big fights earlier. He peaked in the lemieux fight its been downhill since then.

Seems about right. 33 is the tail end of the peak for many boxers it seems.

You, sir, are an idiot.
He actually made some good points, canelos been pro since 15 he was a already an established experienced fighter in the floyd fight and a great contender at that point.

Back