Gennady Golovkin?

He knows who Daniel Geale is. Do a forum search on "Geale" (no quotes) for the username "Sunfish" (no quotes). You'll find results dating back to August 2012, months after his Sherdog join date. He wasn't an elite fighter but he was a fairly good fighter. His lateral movement frustrated Golovkin in their fight. He even started to clown him a bit before Golovkin landed that counter right that finished him.
Fair enough, we'll agree Geale wasn't elite but a very good fighter.

So basically he has declined but Jacobs and Canelo are still very good. That seems about right.
What do people see differently about Golovkin? I get his age, but he looks the exact same to me.

I think its just the caliber of opponent hes been mixing it up with the last two fights.

What do people see differently about Golovkin? I get his age, but he looks the exact same to me.

I think its just the caliber of opponent hes been mixing it up with the last two fights.
It's what I'm trying to say but seem to be failing. If a fighter has a bad night and fights better next time was he in decline or not? Why do we only think about peak when someone steps their competition and doesn't slap the shit out of them.

Golovkin looked if anything sharper against canelo, he seems to be acknowledging he isn't going to destroy top middleweights and has adjusted.

It's what I'm trying to say but seem to be failing. If a fighter has a bad night and fights better next time was he in decline or not? Why do we only think about peak when someone steps their competition and doesn't slap the shit out of them.

Golovkin looked if anything sharper against canelo, he seems to be acknowledging he isn't going to destroy top middleweights and has adjusted.
Ya I literally see no difference in Golovkin physically. Hes just in there with equal competition for a change.

Both would be heavy dogs at any book, I shudder to say.

They're both better than anyone Golovkin has ever fought. I mean, we saw how much Jacobs's boxing ability troubled Golovkin, and both Kalambay and McCallum were better boxers than Jacobs.

They're both better than anyone Golovkin has ever fought. I mean, we saw how much Jacobs's boxing ability troubled Golovkin, and both Kalambay and McCallum were better boxers than Jacobs.
Nunn stopped kalambay didn't he? Is that a fair comparison?

Ya I literally see no difference in Golovkin physically. Hes just in there with equal competition for a change.

He seems a tad slower and less fluid. Just from a the point of view of his body, he appears to have a bit less muscle/more fat on his body, as well (not that there is a drastic difference, of course).

Nunn stopped kalambay didn't he? Is that a fair comparison?

Nunn and Golovkin don't really have much of anything in common. Also, not that I'm saying that loss doesn't matter, but Nunn was never really a massive one shot guy and Kalambay showed a good chin against plenty of punchers throughout his career. I look at that fight as something of an aberration.

He seems a tad slower and less fluid. Just from a the point of view of his body, he appears to have a bit less muscle/more fat on his body, as well (not that there is a drastic difference, of course).
I believe thats the targets hes throwing at being slick moreso than Golovkins undoing.

Cant comment on the composition difference, Id have to do some comparing to have an opinion there.

Guy looks like the same terminator to me.

I don't know what's to be underwhelmed by. He handled Canelo rather well after the first few rounds, and by all rights won that fight going away. He underperformed against Jacobs, but Jacobs is a long night for just about anyone. He's the top middleweight in the world. He's a good boxer and great puncher. He's highly intelligent. He has an iron chin. He fights. He's walked into everyone and has never been down, or even in trouble. He wants to fight the best all the time. He is a true fighter that this sport is very lucky to have.

Not a drastic difference indeed. His lack of bodywork against Canelo was a bigger change than his slipping physically. Of course at his age he can pretty much lose a step anytime from now on.

His conditioning doesn't look nearly as good as it did a few years ago. He can't seem to catch his breath in the corner after the middle rounds and while he's fighting he more and more often opens his mouth to take huge breaths whenever he has a little distance. He legs are looking older too. He doesn't have the same bounce he did even just 2 years ago and at times when he seems gassed his legs look pretty worn.

He's getting old and you can see it pretty clearly in the ring. I still think he should be the favorite against any other middleweight in the world and I'm in no way saying he's washed up or punch drunk like so many other fighters are. He is still great and he puts on amazing fights but he isn't who he was physically three years ago or even two years ago. Maybe a part of it is that as you get older making weight gets even harder and he can't do it easily anymore but whatever the cause it is catching up with him.

What I see doesn't have anything to do with his opponents either. If he lost 12 rounds to 0 against David I wouldn't have said it had anything to do with age because he didn't look old in the ring. It's not some excuse at all. You can get beat or dominated and still look like young and spry and ready for whatever happens. Canelo didn't make GGG look old in there, being old did. Even though I thought he still clearly won the fight he seems to be losing more of a step every time he fights. He could have knocked Canelo out in the middle rounds and I would be saying exactly the same thing.

His conditioning doesn't look nearly as good as it did a few years ago. He can't seem to catch his breath in the corner after the middle rounds and while he's fighting he more and more often opens his mouth to take huge breaths whenever he has a little distance. He legs are looking older too. He doesn't have the same bounce he did even just 2 years ago and at times when he seems gassed his legs look pretty worn.

He's getting old and you can see it pretty clearly in the ring. I still think he should be the favorite against any other middleweight in the world and I'm in no way saying he's washed up or punch drunk like so many other fighters are. He is still great and he puts on amazing fights but he isn't who he was physically three years ago or even two years ago. Maybe a part of it is that as you get older making weight gets even harder and he can't do it easily anymore but whatever the cause it is catching up with him.

What I see doesn't have anything to do with his opponents either. If he lost 12 rounds to 0 against David I wouldn't have said it had anything to do with age because he didn't look old in the ring. It's not some excuse at all. You can get beat or dominated and still look like young and spry and ready for whatever happens. Canelo didn't make GGG look old in there, being old did. Even though I thought he still clearly won the fight he seems to be losing more of a step every time he fights. He could have knocked Canelo out in the middle rounds and I would be saying exactly the same thing.
Not saying you are wrong, I just dont see it. I see a guy having to work harder against better competition.

Mr GGG is indeed getting older, his tendons are less compliant. Nonetheless he has always had that european plodding style. His chin is still thick and tight.

If the Canelo conflict revealed to us was that he is not very versatile and grits his teeth to get inside the pocket to deal with the likes of Canelo's much improved footwork. Unfortunately the shots Mr Canelo had was not enough to phase Mr GGG, he had to go to a decision and pace himself better come the next fight. I do think Canelo's nervous system is still adjusting to the new weight class and he will be more potent come the next feast...

Not saying you are wrong, I just dont see it. I see a guy having to work harder against better competition.

I watched his last 8 fights all in a row just a few days ago. His gas tank and his legs just don't look the same anymore. Yeah he's fighting way better guys but that shouldn't change how his legs look in the beginning of fights. He lost a step and I think it will be pretty evident next time no matter who he fights. Even if it's BJS you'll see how age is slowing him down even though he'll crush the dude at some point. GGG himself has been talking about moving up in weight or retiring. He LOVES fighting so he wouldn't be saying those things without a legit reason. He wouldn't have skipped fighting BJS and getting his last belt if he wasn't fading.

I see slower, less explosive hands.

I see slower, less explosive hands.
I saw faster/better head movement from his opponent.

Ill give some fights a rewatch but dont think its going to change much. Most of his opponents have been punching bags.

Back