Gennady Golovkin?

Not at all I knew he had some flaws ( no fighter is perfect) Golovkin impresses me, he fights like a machine.

I'm not satisfied with his performance from a technical perspective (how many times does Canelo have to pivot to his left to dodge the right hand?) but it's his grit and spirit, his willingness to make it a battle of attrition that I respect (and he doesn't fight dirty). He wanted to give the fans a fight whether he went out on his back or Canelo did. It isn't a smart way to fight a fighter as skilled with power as Canelo but it's exciting.

No offense, but you're being Nostalgic. I don't think fighters of the past are better than current fighters. They might be 'tougher' (whatever that means), but fighters today are bigger, stronger and more skilled. The training techniques, recovery and supplements are much more readily available and more advanced than they were 20 years ago.

Are there any examples of pressure fighters being effective at the highest levels at 35? None come to mind. I was thinking JCC sr, but he started slipping in his early 30s. Anyone else?

He's old now, SRL was dominated by Norris at the same age as GGG now, and Norris isn't nearly as good as Canelo.

Definitely not underwhelmed and I'm pretty sure none of his opponents were either. It very easy to be underwhelmed when all you are doing is sitting in the comfort of your home watching a fight.

Elite fighters give him a harder time than good or average opponents. This is hardly underwhelming.

Elite fighters give him a harder time than good or average opponents. This is hardly underwhelming.

It does open up the question of how much does his apparent decline have to do with the quality of his opposition. He's at the age where you'd expect a fighter of his type to decline, but at the same time, Jacobs and Canelo are classes better than anyone else he has fought. I've seen nothing to really suggest that either man wouldn't have significantly troubled Golovkin at any point in his career, even if Golovkin might have won those fights clearly if he was younger.

It does open up the question of how much does his apparent decline have to do with the quality of his opposition. He's at the age where you'd expect a fighter of his type to decline, but at the same time, Jacobs and Canelo are classes better than anyone else he has fought. I've seen nothing to really suggest that either man wouldn't have significantly troubled Golovkin at any point in his career, even if Golovkin might have won those fights clearly if he was younger.

So basically he has declined but Jacobs and Canelo are still very good. That seems about right.

So basically he has declined but Jacobs and Canelo are still very good. That seems about right.

Yeah, that really encapsulates the question of how good Golovkin actually was in his prime. Excellent point.

Agreed. Jacobs and Canelo have the boxing skills to anticipate most of GGG's rights and slip them, whatever version of Golovkin we are talking about.

And to me all the pro versions of GGG we have seen are pretty damn similar.

Agreed. Jacobs and Canelo have the boxing skills to anticipate most of GGG's rights and slip them, whatever version of Golovkin we are talking about.

And to me all the pro versions of GGG we have seen are pretty damn similar.

Generally speaking, I'd agree. Of course, you can't account for quicker reflexes and better stamina which Golovkin would have had at a younger age, but on a technical level, Jacobs and Canelo did exploit fairly clear things.

Yeah....it's nice that you have those guys listed as having "virtual even matches with Canelo". Those guys all lost on record and had scorecards of 119-110 and 118-111 against them.
Even Mr Vegas himself, Mayweather, barely escaped with a majority win against a 22 year old underweight Canelo......after dominating his ass more than any fighter Floyd had recently fought.

GGG drew with him. What does that make his performance against him ?

<{pranko}>
Wow, get off Canelo's nuts. if anything he was the one hyped up beyond belief before the Floyd fight. I think he is in his prime NOW and is actually the fighter people were claiming he was before the Floyd fight but are you really gonna throw Judge's scorecards around as proof of anything?
Lara fight could've easily gone either way, he whooped an undersized over the hill Cotto and don't tell me he dominated shit in that Mayweather fight.
Looked like any other UD for Floyd to me, nothing special or close about that fight.
Seeing as though your biased beyond belief towards Canelo I won't bother trying to change your mind on what you saw and didn't see in those fight but I will say that even though I thought GGG won, a draw wasn't outrageous.
But put it in perspective, most agree GGG is a few years past his prime and Canelo is in his, GGG was still good enough to out land Canelo and give him everything he could handle

Wow, get off Canelo's nuts. if anything he was the one hyped up beyond belief before the Floyd fight. I think he is in his prime NOW and is actually the fighter people were claiming he was before the Floyd fight but are you really gonna throw Judge's scorecards around as proof of anything?
Lara fight could've easily gone either way, he whooped an undersized over the hill Cotto and don't tell me he dominated shit in that Mayweather fight.
Looked like any other UD for Floyd to me, nothing special or close about that fight.
Seeing as though your biased beyond belief towards Canelo I won't bother trying to change your mind on what you saw and didn't see in those fight but I will say that even though I thought GGG won, a draw wasn't outrageous.
But put it in perspective, most agree GGG is a few years past his prime and Canelo is in his, GGG was still good enough to out land Canelo and give him everything he could handle
Most people said ggg was going to kick the shit out of canelo. Now people are saying ggg is past his prime.

Cotto was lineal middleweight champion.

Canelo has more pro fights than ggg. If golovkin is past his prime, I guess canelo should be in a old people's home.

Most people said ggg was going to kick the shit out of canelo. Now people are saying ggg is past his prime.

Cotto was lineal middleweight champion.

Canelo has more pro fights than ggg. If golovkin is past his prime, I guess canelo should be in a old people's home.
Really?
1) I thought it was gonna be a great competitive fight, so don't know what that has to do with me.

2) Never mind the opposition or how he even got a middleweight title rt? everyone knows dam well he was too small and old to beat any elite fighter

3) I'm literally talking age not how many years boxing or number of fights. it's just science/biology buddy, Google it, A 27yr old vs 35yr old hmmm. It's not just opposition, but yes that will only expose him more to have slowed down. Not just in hand speed but footwork also.

Really?
1) I thought it was gonna be a great competitive fight, so don't know what that has to do with me.

2) Never mind the opposition or how he even got a middleweight title rt? everyone knows dam well he was too small and old to beat any elite fighter

3) I'm literally talking age not how many years boxing or number of fights. it's just science/biology buddy, Google it, A 27yr old vs 35yr old hmmm. It's not just opposition, but yes that will only expose him more to have slowed down. Not just in hand speed but footwork also.
Lol, ok cotto has been going to get smashed for years but you saw it all coming. If you did well done, you'll have made a lot of money.

35 year old isn't automatically worse than 27 year old.

For the record
Lol, ok cotto has been going to get smashed for years but you saw it all coming. If you did well done, you'll have made a lot of money.

35 year old isn't automatically worse than 27 year old.
whats not to understand? If you hadn't realized Cotto was on a decline I don't know what to tell you. Did you ever even see him fight as a welterweight?

Bro, Canelo is in his physical prime.
GGG has slowed, just look at his past fights.

Canelo is in his physical prime and has continued to get better. GGG is not in his prime years anymore, he has plateaued and has basically gotten as good as he's gonna get.

For the record at this point, I feel Canelo is the more complete skilled boxer but I still feel GGG has the chin, power, pressure and strength to give Canelo everything he can handle.

<FookIsThatGuy>

You really are an idiot.
If you weren't so lacking in reading comprehension you'd realize I'm pro GGG and this post is dissing Canelo and is conveying my amazement that all the close, even or even outright losses of Canelo have at least one extremely biased pro-Canelo card.
That its so hard to win against him that you have to practically knock him out to get a unanimous decision.
That a draw against Canelo is, in practical terms, a win.

Basically, Canelo is the Masato of boxing.

For the record

whats not to understand? If you hadn't realized Cotto was on a decline I don't know what to tell you. Did you ever even see him fight as a welterweight?

Bro, Canelo is in his physical prime.
GGG has slowed, just look at his past fights.

Canelo is in his physical prime and has continued to get better. GGG is not in his prime years anymore, he has plateaued and has basically gotten as good as he's gonna get.

For the record at this point, I feel Canelo is the more complete skilled boxer but I still feel GGG has the chin, power, pressure and strength to give Canelo everything he can handle.
No dude, I barely watch boxing, I just turn up in boxing forums pretending to know shit and pretend watching the fights because the cool kids do it. Lineal champ only means you beat the top guy in the weight class and haven't lost it again yet so he must've been shit.

Please tell me you aren't one of the fans who says someone is declining because they lose to a better fighter? That's some of the dumbest shit people have started saying recently.

Back