Gennady Golovkin?

No I dont think beating everyone in front of you, with your worst performances being, at worst, controversial decisions is underwhelming whatsoever.

Im not sure how anyone can view GGG as underwhelming tbh. He is a destroyer and can box pretty well.

Every era wants it's own Hagler or Leonard. Ain't happening folks.

I never bought into the Hagler comparisons, GGG was never a candidate for all time best MW, not even close. That said, he is a sure fire hall of famer and has displayed an incredible amount of heart and skill. If anything i've grown to respect him more after the Jacobs & Canelo fights.

GGG has shown true grace under pressure, which is the ultimate test of any boxer. His competition went up as his skills were going down, and he still beat all comers. I don't care what anyone says, GGG flat out beat Canelo (a top 10 P4Per).

Well of course he ain't hagler it takes a special fighter to even be close to that level. I agree 100 percent I respect him more and his skills after the Jacobs and canelo fight. And yea he definitely beat canelo , the Jacobs fight was closer

Wasn't Martinez JMW for the longest time though...
Oh yeah, and I wasnt for a minute suggesting boxrec is accurate. If anything this is case in point unless he got super duper bonus ranking points for being lineal.

I mean, define underwhelmed. If you were coming in expecting Hagler or Monzon, then yeah, you're gonna be dissapointed. He's an excellent pressure fighter with a really strong Ammy resume that's been pretty clearly on the decline for the past few years. He was avoided for a while by the likes of Canelo/Quillin/Cotto/Martinez. His resume isn't the strongest, but it's solid and stacks up fine against most historical high level MWs. He'll go down in probably the top 15-25 AT MWs.

In his fight with Canelo and with Jacobs I was struck by his inability to adjust and how one dimensional he looked. He's looked flawless up until then but I think a little too reliant on his power.

His punch selection is down, so I can see him looking more one-dimensional in that regard, but he did make a few adjustments, as crude as they were. For example, in round 4, once he figured out Canelo's power, he simply timed him and would trade a punch to get one, this made Canelo tentative and he slid out of the fight significantly until the last 2-3 rounds. Golovkin also started throwing his right, not to land, but to walk Canelo into his left hand. This kept Canelo in front of Golovkin more often than Canelo would have liked (especially since he was slipping out his left side a lot early on).

Again, nothing on the level of Mayweather in terms of giving his opponent different 'looks' or adjustments throughout the fight (Golovkin was always pretty straightforward), but enough to pull Canelo out of the fight for about 6 rounds in a row.

I don't think he was flawless, even in his prime - he was always hittable - but now, one fight after another he is looking less decisive. Even though he didn't lose yet, the trend is that each fight from here on out will be close. A shame he was avoided for his prime years.

For a guy aging naturally at 35 and taking VADA testing, it's normal. Big names have dodged him until now, and there's no surprise as to why. Especially for a fighter that has a high pressure style, 35 is an early decline than a pure boxer like Hopkins or Mayweather who had a little more longevity because their bodies fight differently and have lower output. Look at Chocolatito, he peaked sooner (Tyson, too, for that matter). Time is always against the pressure fighter, they simply don't have the longevity (Duran is an exception) of pure boxers.

I never bought into the Hagler comparisons, GGG was never a candidate for all time best MW, not even close. That said, he is a sure fire hall of famer and has displayed an incredible amount of heart and skill. If anything i've grown to respect him more after the Jacobs & Canelo fights.

GGG has shown true grace under pressure, which is the ultimate test of any boxer. His competition went up as his skills were going down, and he still beat all comers. I don't care what anyone says, GGG flat out beat Canelo (a top 10 P4Per).

It's worth mentioning that Hagler is remembered for having some huge fights in the 80's against Duran, Hearns, and Leonard. All three of those guys had the guts to not only fight him, but go up in weight to do so. If those three didn't fight Hagler, most of us would have diminished his value. He is lucky those three fought him. He was a scary man in the ring.

Golovkin, only recently has had Kell Brook, Danny Jacobs, and Canelo Alvarez step up to the plate but at a much more advanced age where he is fending off these competitors.

Golovkin is a victim of his own success, and the tentativeness of his rivals.

And I agree, it's way easier to see a close (some don't even feel it was close) fight but a clear win for GGG. He beat Canelo.

In his fight with Canelo and with Jacobs I was struck by his inability to adjust and how one dimensional he looked. He's looked flawless up until then but I think a little too reliant on his power.
I was definitely disappointed with his lack of going to the body that's for sure. He was fighting a guy known to fight in spurts and lean against the ropes. The opportunities where there, he just never bit. To busy head hunting.

I was definitely disappointed with his lack of going to the body that's for sure. He was fighting a guy known to fight in spurts and lean against the ropes. The opportunities where there, he just never bit. To busy head hunting.

Golovkin is slipping a bit. Going to the body means dropping your hands. He isn't as fast at pulling the trigger as he once was. Although Golovkin would take one to get one, he probably made the calculation that he'd lose points in some of those exchanges. I think he hit the head, not for the knockout, but because he is a bit slower than he was a couple years ago in his peak.

Even still, the win was there. I think he went for the grinding KO in the last three rounds out of fear of getting screwed by the judges and ironically, this let Canelo pick up another round or two.

His punch selection is down, so I can see him looking more one-dimensional in that regard, but he did make a few adjustments, as crude as they were. For example, in round 4, once he figured out Canelo's power, he simply timed him and would trade a punch to get one, this made Canelo tentative and he slid out of the fight significantly until the last 2-3 rounds. Golovkin also started throwing his right, not to land, but to walk Canelo into his left hand. This kept Canelo in front of Golovkin more often than Canelo would have liked (especially since he was slipping out his left side a lot early on).

Again, nothing on the level of Mayweather in terms of giving his opponent different 'looks' or adjustments throughout the fight (Golovkin was always pretty straightforward), but enough to pull Canelo out of the fight for about 6 rounds in a row.

I don't think he was flawless, even in his prime - he was always hittable - but now, one fight after another he is looking less decisive. Even though he didn't lose yet, the trend is that each fight from here on out will be close. A shame he was avoided for his prime years.

For a guy aging naturally at 35 and taking VADA testing, it's normal. Big names have dodged him until now, and there's no surprise as to why. Especially for a fighter that has a high pressure style, 35 is an early decline than a pure boxer like Hopkins or Mayweather who had a little more longevity because their bodies fight differently and have lower output. Look at Chocolatito, he peaked sooner (Tyson, too, for that matter). Time is always against the pressure fighter, they simply don't have the longevity (Duran is an exception) of pure boxers.

at 38 years of age, bernard hopkins set a compubox record for power punches landed by a middleweight against william joppy

william and bernard had a 50 or 100k bet on joppy not making it the distance so that may have had something to do with it.

at 38 years of age, bernard hopkins set a compubox record for power punches landed by a middleweight against william joppy

william and bernard had a 50 or 100k bet on joppy not making it the distance so that may have had something to do with it.

Yeah, and that's a bit of an anomaly considering his established pattern. I didn't see that fight. I'll have to check it out. I imagine Joppy wasn't hard to find that night either.

Yeah, and that's a bit of an anomaly considering his established pattern. I didn't see that fight. I'll have to check it out. I imagine Joppy wasn't hard to find that night either.

he looked like the elephant man

william-joppy-shows-the-signs-of-battle-on-his-face-after-dropping-a-picture-id118648061

No because I never had GGG on this pedestal that a lot of these other fans do. The flaws in his game have been noticeable for a while, it's just that nobody has been able to exploit it yet.

GGG is 35. I don't know too many boxers with the same handspeed at 35 as at 30. He's slowed a little and never was fast. Against guys with fast hands and good movement he's going to look even slower. Still he's at least drawn the best two MWs in the world. He's a legit top fighter and only overrated if you listen to the 10% hyperbole.

I will say the Jacobs fight was closer than tbe Canelo fight. But Canelo n Oscar owns Vegas.

I think Golovkin's reign is a clear level down even from Hopkins's reign. More than that, I don't think he performs particularly well head to head with any of Hopkins, Hagler, Monzon, or Robinson, even if he gives them all reasonably good fights. He's a HoFer, but not on their level.

^That post was in reply to @proncley because apparently I can't quote his messages right now.

Back