Anyone else think prime BJ would beat Khabib and Conor?

lol take Khabib's name out of your fucking mouth. Old rich boy Penn would be fucking brutalized. What are you people smoking. You're talking about a spoiled kid from Hawaii that mentally checks out of any fight he isn't handily winning against this Dagestani fuck born into a war zone.

Khabib is a better wrestler than Georges. His GnP is disgusting. His top control alone would wear BJ out within two rounds. This would be the GSP II fight all over again but probably worse. Shit, you do remember what Jon Fitch did to him? Pillow fisted, Mr. Smoke Break Jon Fitch? The strikes were something like 150-0 in the final round. Of only three rounds.

You can't fight 3 weight classes above and say ''if i lose it doesnt count, if I win im a god.'' that doesn't make him brave, it makes him an idiot.

Penn is a B tier fighter with a 16-12-2 record.

I don't give him credit for fighting bigger guys.

I'm saying his numbers look bad because he often fought at a disadvantage. BJ didn't give a shit about the money, he wanted the biggest challenges. Maybe you think he's an idiot, maybe he is. I would have preferred he stay in his own division and wreck shop instead of fighting guys who dwarfed him.

Judging him by just the numbers is pretty foolish. There was a time he looked completely unbeatable at lightweight.

Not as foolish as saying a two division champion who beat Matt Hughes is B tier, though. That's beyond foolish.

Conor puts BJ's lights out and Khabib makes BJ quit.

Prime Motivated BJ at Sea Level and with that look in his eyes loses to no man.

He would have a good chance against Conor, but Khabib would wreck any version of BJ.

Conor would get killed so easily by prime Penn. It would be hilarious. Seeing prime Penn defend Khabib takedowns would be a thing of beauty.

Wow, bold statement my friend..."Conor would get killed so easily by prime Penn." Is it possible that nostalgia is clouding your judgement a little bit?

I'm not saying he couldn't beat Conor but that seems like wishful thinking. If that's the case, BJ Penn was over a decade ago, miles ahead of today's fighters and the GOAT of all GOATS. In a sport that has evolved at an astounding rate that seems highly unlikely. Respectfully, what evidence can you provide to support that statement?

I don't give him credit for fighting bigger guys.

I'm saying his numbers look bad because he often fought at a disadvantage. BJ didn't give a shit about the money, he wanted the biggest challenges. Maybe you think he's an idiot, maybe he is. I would have preferred he stay in his own division and wreck shop instead of fighting guys who dwarfed him.

Judging him by just the numbers is pretty foolish. There was a time he looked completely unbeatable at lightweight.

Not as foolish as saying a two division champion who beat Matt Hughes is B tier, though. That's beyond foolish.

A fighter's legacy is not about the pinnacle of your career, it's about the overall product once you're done. You can't have 3-4 EPIC years, then do shitty for 10 years and claim GOAT status. Pen defended the LW belt 3 times and beat Hughes (who was 40-4 at the time) for the WW belt, that's great.

He also lost to GSP x2, Edgar x3, Diaz and Rory mauled him. He even lost to Siver (who's the same age as Penn, so don't talk about prime years). I simply can't put him in any ''GOAT'' talk with 12 losses. He's 11-4 as a LW, so it's not like he only lost going up. Even 0-2 as a FW.

A fighter's legacy is not about the pinnacle of your career, it's about the overall product once you're done. You can't have 3-4 EPIC years, then do shitty for 10 years and claim GOAT status. Pen defended the LW belt 3 times and beat Hughes (who was 40-4 at the time) for the WW belt, that's great.

He also lost to GSP x2, Edgar x3, Diaz and Rory mauled him. He even lost to Siver (who's the same age as Penn, so don't talk about prime years). I simply can't put him in any ''GOAT'' talk with 12 losses. He's 11-4 as a LW, so it's not like he only lost going up. Even 0-2 as a FW.

There aren't specific criteria for GOAT talks, it's completely subjective. However, I'm not saying he's in those talks, he fucked around in the wrong weight classes too many times to build a strong enough resume.

GSP is arguably the greatest fighter of all time, and is a division bigger than Penn. Diaz and and Rory also dwarf him. These are fights that don't really measure against just how good he was. They were challenges he wanted, and he got killed, because those guys can hang with any welterweights in the world, and BJ was a LW.

The Edgar fights are a great case against his status as one of the greatest lightweights of all time.

The Siver fight was his 30th, sixteen years into his career, after a short retirement. He wasn't the same guy. Tippy Toes Penn and forward, not the same guy. BJ had a lot more fight miles on him than Siver, just look at who'd he'd fought over the years.

I disagree with your opinion on how you judge a career. In my (subjective) opinion, if you're talking about greatness, you take the great years. Some fighters start cautiously and retire gracefully, others jump right into the fire and stick around far too long. BJ was one of the best fighters in the world for close to ten years, and until he ran into Frankie, he was unquestionably the best lightweight. Those years don't just vanish because he kept fighting when he should have retired. The only thing worth mentioning is that he should have retired, not that he wasn't great.

I disagree with your opinion on how you judge a career. In my (subjective) opinion, if you're talking about greatness, you take the great years. Some fighters start cautiously and retire gracefully, others jump right into the fire and stick around far too long. BJ was one of the best fighters in the world for close to ten years, and until he ran into Frankie, he was unquestionably the best lightweight. Those years don't just vanish because he kept fighting when he should have retired. The only thing worth mentioning is that he should have retired, not that he wasn't great.

He should have retired before facing better fighters? GSP kept on fighting and still hasn't lost hence why he's the clear GOAT, head, shoulders, and waist above any possible #2. Because his career as a whole is nearly flawless.

You claim that Penn was one of the best fighter in the world for 10 years, he started in 2001 and in 2011 he had seven losses. Fedor didn't lose for 10 years, same with Aldo. If we count cheaters Silva didnt lose for like 7 years and Jones hasnt lost. GSP went on a crazy run after Serra. All these guys went on dominant runs where they seemed unbeatable.

Penn's longest winning streak is 4... 4 wins is the most wins he racked in a row. Penn's longest losing streak... 5. Let that sink in.

Conor for sure. Dunno about Khabib though, BJ could definitely outbox him but even with his legendary sprawl I don't know if he'd be able to stay on his feet for the whole round. Would love to see both of those fights though.

BJ was already past it by the time he beat Diego. The LW BJ circa 2004-2008 was the most dangerous. He already had all the skills and fought to destroy, by any means necessary.

He should have retired before facing better fighters? GSP kept on fighting and still hasn't lost hence why he's the clear GOAT, head, shoulders, and waist above any possible #2. Because his career as a whole is nearly flawless.

You claim that Penn was one of the best fighter in the world for 10 years, he started in 2001 and in 2011 he had seven losses. Fedor didn't lose for 10 years, same with Aldo. If we count cheaters Silva didnt lose for like 7 years and Jones hasnt lost. GSP went on a crazy run after Serra. All these guys went on dominant runs where they seemed unbeatable.

Penn's longest winning streak is 4... 4 wins is the most wins he racked in a row. Penn's longest losing streak... 5. Let that sink in.

Man, some people just aren't listening. I'm not keen to waste any more time, so I'm going to ask you to go back, read what I posted again, and try and make my argument for me, to gain perspective. It's an interesting exercise that people should do more often.

This recent post of yours makes it clear that you absolutely are not trying to understand my position.

Just so you know I am 39 not on Peds and I can leap out of the pool I cannot do the bar jump to save my life. A big difference between the two.

Conor does look ridiculous (Also the pressure of people watching does not help)
I was just about to ask this question, the pool seems so much easier. Don't get me wrong, I can't do either.

Don't understand how anyone could think that BJ would beat Khabib. How would he do it? Do you think BJ would be able to defend the takedowns? He had great TDD and balance but considering the size discrepancy I suspect Khabib would take him down fairly easily.

McGregor would be a good fight though. If BJ keeps it standing I think he'd lose by KO or TKO, but if his gameplan was to takedown and work his magic on McG he could win it.

No. Prime BJ's luck is not enough to prevent Conor from KTFO'ing him. Khabib would make BJ gas quickly then make strawberry jam out of him.

Another BJ Penn thread. Cool choice.

giphy.gif

I was just about to ask this question, the pool seems so much easier. Don't get me wrong, I can't do either.

It is all about vending your knees and leaning forward you can also use your arms and hands to propel yourself forward.

Trying to leap onto a bar and then balance is so much harder. And also mentally it is tough. It is one of the few obstacles in a Spartan race I struggle to beat haha.

I think BJ would be a tough match for anyone past and present. He was extremely good.

Back