Anyone else think Paulie Malignaggi is Underated?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So here's a guy who literally has ZERO punching power. Like i literally don't think I have ever seen someone will less power p4p than Paulie.

And yet he has been extremely successful in the sport of boxing, about as much as you can be without punching power.
He had real boxing ability, nice footwork, good technique. Hes very active in the ring which made his fights pretty exciting. Multi weight world champion

Plus he has fought an absolutely murderous row of opponents.

Miguel Cotto
Lovermore N'dou
Ricky Hatton
Herman Ngoudjo
Juan Diaz
Amir Khan
Pablo Cesar Cano
Adrien Broner
Zab Judah
Shawn Porter
Danny Garcia

Crazy list of opponents.
Plus hes a pretty good commentator on top of it all.

I think hes underrated.

I do.

In the "underrated fighters" thread a while back I mentioned Chris Byrd and I think I would have similar things to say about Paulie. They accomplished a lot using their speed and defense with almost no punching power in their weight classes. It wasn't that they were cowards--if they were they wouldn't have fought the type of opposition that they did--they just didn't have the tools to go toe to toe with their opponents and so they had to adapt their styles.

I think he was underrated, and I think he would have went a lot farther if he even had just average punching power. His complete lack of pop is what let him down, because he had everything else IMO, including intangibles like looks and charisma.

Guys like Pernell and Mayweather weren't huge punchers but they had enough pop to hurt guys and keep them honest. Paulie had two balloons at the ends of his fists. I really do believe he could have been something real big if he just had been gifted with some power.

Complete shit fighter.

He attempted to counter his $hit skills by talking $hit and making baseless accusations of PEDs and steroid use of fighters he didn't like.

He's not underrated, he's rated appropriately. I think most people see him as a good boxer with a lot of heart but lacked the physical tools to beat any true top-tier opponents.

Having no power does not give you bonus points. Having no power is a bad thing, not a good thing.

I do. I've been mocked quite a bit for saying that in the past.

I think he was underrated, and I think he would have went a lot farther if he even had just average punching power. His complete lack of pop is what let him down, because he had everything else IMO, including intangibles like looks and charisma.

Guys like Pernell and Mayweather weren't huge punchers but they had enough pop to hurt guys and keep them honest. Paulie had two balloons at the ends of his fists. I really do believe he could have been something real big if he just had been gifted with some power.

I really don't know how someone can have such little punching power lol.

He claims he injured his hands a lot. You can find pics of him jabbing with an open glove.

I knew he hurt his hands a lot. I guess if he throws open handed slaps over how one should typically do it, it makes sense.

Similar to Calzaghe.

Not similar to the point that Joe actually could knock people out.
Paulie made Senchenko quit. He hurt Juan Diaz.

His style wasn't to try to knock guys out. Go back the the UFC forum.

Nobody would ever say a power puncher was underrated because he was able to experience decent success without gifted speed. So why do we give bonus points to guys who can't punch? It's not any more special than lacking any other important boxing trait. It seems like every time Paulie is brought up somebody says he's underrated because "Imagine what he'd do if he could punch!"

Nobody would ever say a power puncher was underrated because he was able to experience decent success without gifted speed. So why do we give bonus points to guys who can't punch? It's not any more special than lacking any other important boxing trait. It seems like every time Paulie is brought up somebody says he's underrated because "Imagine what he'd do if he could punch!"
You don't see whats impressive about being close to elite in the sport of boxing when you can't punch? No one is saying that it puts him up there with Robinson or anything. Just shows he was more talented than he gets credit for.

You don't see whats impressive about being close to elite in the sport of boxing when you can't punch? No one is saying that it puts him up there with Robinson or anything. Just shows he was more talented than he gets credit for.

Is Provodnikov more talented than he gets credit for? I mean, look at what he accomplished with no boxing skills. Just relying on power and toughness, and making it to the same level as a skilled boxer like Malignaggi.

Is power and toughness not as valuable as quick hands? I mean, it got them to the same place. Right?

Is Provodnikov more talented than he gets credit for? I mean, look at what he accomplished with no boxing skills. Just relying on power and toughness, and making it to the same level as a skilled boxer like Malignaggi.

Is power and toughness not as valuable as quick hands? I mean, it got them to the same place. Right?
Well, sort of though I think Paulie was more accomplished than Provodnikov.

I mean, you have to give credit to Provodnikov for getting as far as he did with no real boxing skills.

Well, sort of though I think Paulie was more accomplished than Provodnikov.

I mean, you have to give credit to Provodnikov for getting as far as he did with no real boxing skills.

Don't get me wrong, I give Paulie credit for what he accomplished with his limited abilities, I am just making the point that sometimes guys that have no power are given bonus points in a way that other guys are not.

Having a lack of power is romanticized more than say, having a lack of speed.

Don't get me wrong, I give Paulie credit for what he accomplished with his limited abilities, I am just making the point that sometimes guys that have no power are given bonus points in a way that other guys are not.

Having a lack of power is romanticized more than say, having a lack of speed.
Wow, you really think so? I think fighters with no power generally get overlooked.

Back