Anyone else feel like Tony vs. Khabib will look just like…

Are you kidding me? A fighter doesn't have to have one punch KO power to be dangerous standing. Fergy has fast hands and nasty elbows that are more dangerous than someone with KO power.

Tony does not beat people with his stand-up. Period. He does not intimidate or damage anyone decent he fights on the feet. At all. Ever. Not with one punch and not with 50. Not with his hands and not with his elbows.

He is a busy fighter with excellent cardio, great scrambles, and is very opportunistic with his subs. He wins by getting submissions and by grinding out decisions based not just on his high activity, but by maintaining that high activity level for the entire fight. That's rare. There is nothing wrong with that. But sorry, Tony does not have particularly good stand-up. He just doesn't.

Go back and watch his fights. If you finding him piecing someone up, it is almost always in the deep water and his opponents are fucking exhausted. That's not dangerous stand-up. That's dangerous cardio. Maybe only 4-5 people in UFC history have had the kind of cardio Tony has.

Last edited:
Tony does not beat people with his stand-up. Period. He does not intimidate or damage anyone decent he fights on the feet. At all. Ever. Not with one punch and not with 50. Not with his hands and not with his elbows.

He is a busy fighter with excellent cardio, great scrambles, and is very opportunistic with his subs. He wins by getting submissions and by grinding out decisions based not just on his high activity, but by maintaining that high activity level for the entire fight. That's rare. There is nothing wrong with that. But sorry, Tony does not have particularly good stand-up. He just doesn't.

Go back and watch his fights. If you finding him piecing someone up, it is almost always in the deep water and his opponents are fucking exhausted. That's not dangerous stand-up. That's dangerous cardio. Maybe only 4-5 people in UFC history have had the kind of cardio Tony has.
I agree his cardio is crazy good and that he can pull off a sub at any point, but he would be able to KO Khabib especially with Khabib's chin being suspect.

I agree his cardio is crazy good and that he can pull off a sub at any point, but he would be able to KO Khabib especially with Khabib's chin being suspect.

Nope. He could not KO Lee, RDA, Vannata, Barboza, Thomson, Tibau, Trujillo, or Castillo. He ain't gonna KO Khabib. Not due to his punching power or skill anyway. If Tony Ko's Khabib, it will be late in the fight and due to Khabibs exhaustion.

The real question in this fight will be this: Can Tony, from the bottom (he will be on the bottom) make Khabib work hard enough from top position that he will be exhausted enough in the later rounds for Tony to get a sub, wear him down with punches, or sneak a submission.

One round with Tony is like 3 with anyone else. That is how he can win. That is the ONLY way he can beat Khabib. And it is not terribly likely.

Nope. He could not KO Lee, RDA, Vannata, Barboza, Thomson, Tibau, Trujillo, or Castillo. He ain't gonna KO Khabib. Not due to his punching power or skill anyway. If Tony Ko's Khabib, it will be late in the fight and due to Khabibs exhaustion.

The real question in this fight will be this: Can Tony, from the bottom (he will be on the bottom) make Khabib work hard enough from top position that he will be exhausted enough in the later rounds for Tony to get a sub, wear him down with punches, or sneak a submission.

One round with Tony is like 3 with anyone else. That is how he can win. That is the ONLY way he can beat Khabib. And it is not terribly likely.
Tonys style is tailor made to derail Khabib. Read everything you just said about Fergy, so it proves my point that Fergy will win.

Yea I have no idea how Tony would win this fight, besides maybe a miracle off-the-back submission. He doesn’t have the power or standup skill to knock Khabib out early. He doesn’t have the TDD to stay on his feet. He’s probably gonna get ragdolled and smashed tbh.

Lol Khabib chin is suspect? Woww! People still think that Michael Johnson “almost KO’d” Khabib ? LOL MJ tagged him but Khabib responded to it really well.

Khabib’s chin is not suspect at all. Khabib is just a monster and the only thing that doubters/haters can point out of his 25 pro mma fights is that very particular moment where MJ landed a good shot that Khabib took very well. That’s just how dominant Khabib is.

Tonys style is tailor made to derail Khabib. Read everything you just said about Fergy, so it proves my point that Fergy will win.

Fergy may win. But it won't be because of his stand up. The real litmus test will be how hard Khabib has to work to keep Tony down. If Khabib has to work his ass off just to keep Tony from scrambling to his feet, then Khabib could tire out.

I think Khabibs will be able to cope though

plus this will be 5 rounds. I don't think he's ever fought more than 3 rounds. He might wear down if Tony keeps getting back up.
Very likely. Especially because his striker requires 0-100 run in sprint, punch, takedown transitions

Tony has good takedown defense & gr8 bjj guard + better striking than Khabib, khabib will have alot of trouble so no khabib won't just walk right through him, he has a 50% chance of losing imo. I think it's the most competitive high level fight that the UFC can make along with DJ vs TJ.

Remember when Khabib failed to take down Tibau because he was stronger and bigger than him but Tony made Tibau look like somebody's little brother?

Remember when Khabib failed to take down Tibau because he was stronger and bigger than him but Tony made Tibau look like somebody's little brother?

Remember when Kahbib chewed up and subbed the guy that beat Tony???

The end of that first round against Lee has me fearing a little for Tony’s chances but I still think he is Khabib’s toughest match

Very likely. Especially because his striker requires 0-100 run in sprint, punch, takedown transitions
I think that could be the deciding factor. We don't know if Khabib can keep up his high energy style of fighting for 5 rounds. I'm not saying he can't I'm just saying I don't know if he can, and if he can't then he's probably going to be in trouble.

holy shit... it struck me. it finally fucking struck me.

Khabib beats Tony for Interim
McGregor vs Khabib in Russia planned - BUT doesn't happen due to no mutual agreement
McGregor vacated, Khabib true Champ
Alvarez vs Khabib - Alvarez win
McGregor semibroke from coke trips and buying off maffia to stay alive challenges Alvarez

McGregor vs Alvarez II

It's the long play. holy shit.

I have no idea how this fight will look. I just know it will be good.

However, if Tony cannot keep Khabib in guard then the ground game is not going to be kind to him.

It might look bad for Tony in the first 2 rounds, but I believe Tony's cardio will be the factor. He's active off his back, and has the cardio to scramble. Khabib will invest a lot to keep Tony down, but he can't do it for 5 rounds straight.

No way. Tony has probably the slickest guard in the LW division and will be going for that darce choke every time khabib starts pressing against him. Also tony is an NCWA All American, he can wrestle it's just not his bread and butter.

I favor khabib in the early rounds, but I think the longer the fight goes, the more it will lean in Tony's favor.

edit: also, Tony has had SEVERAL training camps to prepare for khabib. I know Eddie Bravo gets a lot of bad flack on sherdog, but he is a fucking expert on analyzing and breaking down the ground game. You guys are crazy if you think Tony will be lost once things go to the ground.

it will look nothing like the Barboza fight

all Edson tried to do was muscle up, he didnt try submission, he didnt throw punches or palm fists, Ferguson will be very busy off of his back

Khabib will fade late, if he hasnt put enough punishment on Tony by then, Ferguson will finish him

cant wait for this fight

It will be a grueling fight for sure. I can see Khabib winning by domination on the ground but I can also see Tony surviving and being offensive off his back with submission attempts, maybe cuts Khabib open with one of his elbows from his back. Then fourth and fith round Khabib starts to gas and Tony revs it up for a submission or TKO finish.

Back