Anyone else feel a little bad for Gray Maynard?

Has there even been a fighter so close to a title but fell short? I know Sonnen is other one but he would of been stripped anyways.

It's hard to feel bad for him after his fight against Hall. You know, the one where he did absolutely nothing?

The dude goes 10-0. Then gets a draw in a championship fight that he very nearly won.

And then immediately goes 2-6 and is on the verge of getting cut.

Personality-wise, I never was a big fan of the guy. But that is just fucking rough. It's amazing how quickly fortunes can change in this sport.
Do you know how many guys would love to be professional fighters, but never make it? Maynard was paid to fight for the UFC for a long time and got two title shots. No I don't feel bad for him.

Do you know how many guys would love to be professional fighters, but never make it? Maynard was paid to fight for the UFC for a long time and got two title shots. No I don't feel bad for him.

Everyone wants to be successful in their career and once you achieve a certain level of success, you're going to feel like a failure if you can't hold onto it.

damn, now i kinda do..because i totally forgot about him and i enjoyed some of his fights.

i see what your saying...but if you enjoyed some of his fights and forgot he even existed on this planet you will kinda feel bad...its human emotion.

I'd be curious to know more about how much he helped at Nova Uniao.
I remember Pederneiras saying that he was "extremely important" for Aldo's preparation for Edgar and Mendes.
Would love to see video of him working with those guys.

Maybe he can hang 'em up and be a high level MMA coach.

It's the nature of the sport. You win some and lose some.

He ran into a man made of iron. Frankie" The Chad Mendes" Edgar.
Not related to your post, but your avatar. Classic moment in one of the best animes ever. Berserk is amazing.

Though he had a skills to be champ. Crazy how far you can fall after fighting for the belt.

Not related to your post, but your avatar. Classic moment in one of the best animes ever. Berserk is amazing.
Hell yeah brother.

The series should end when Half life 3 comes out. The year 3000.

Hell yeah brother.

The series should end when Half life 3 comes out. The year 3000.
I know the manga is still going on, but I wish they would give the series a proper reboot. That new crap was terrible. The old one is a classic, even with some stale animation here and there. Beautiful artwork too and the directing was great.

On topic, I do feel kinda bad for Gray, even if it is the nature of the sport. He had a very steep fall from grace. It's not easy giving up fighting when it's your life. That said, I sincerely hope he calls it quits after his next fight. He is way past it.

He fell off so fucking fast it was weird

He has had 2 exciting fights and both were against Frankie Edgar. That being said, BOTH of those fights could have easily been stopped by the ref with him winning the title. Before and after those Edgar fights he has put on some of the most boring and uninspired fights I've seen in the octagon.

That one where he KO'ed himself with that takedown was pretty good.

Not really. He doesn't seem like a pleasant fellow.

You're only as good as your last fight!

I loved that Frankie comeback in their second fight but I do like Gray too and was sad to see him get KO'd by Grant, Nate and Pearson in 3 straight fights but i do feel like he was robbed of the title in the first frankie fight and his career couldve turned out vastly different

That said, he's had a pretty solid career and should he win his next one id like to see him hang em up, i have no desire to see him take any more unnecessary damage and dont think he has any kind of title run left in him

I actually ran into Gray Maynard yesterday in Lowe's here in Vegas. He was in a huge hurry it seemed but stopped and took the time to shake my hand. Lot smaller than I expected but has huge hands.

He seems like one of those dudes that should think about walking away. He's fallen to the complete bottom of the division and is taking lots of damage.

This.

Go open a basement gym while you still have a scrap of credibility as a legit UFC fighter.

Back