Anyone else ever been Fireman thrown / Kata guruma

Jspahn

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Was wrestling with an old friend the other day and one second I'm lunging forward for the clinch and the next I'm falling and landing on my back trying to get my breath back. This happened to anyone else before.

Yep. It is one of my go-to-techniques in wrestling class. Especially when I have a deep overhook/inside bicep control

Was wrestling with an old friend the other day and one second I'm lunging forward for the clinch and the next I'm falling and landing on my back trying to get my breath back. This happened to anyone else before.
Nope, you're the first.

Yuri Simoes did it to me like 4 times in 3 minutes...kept letting me (making me) get back up to hit me with it again.

It was my only effective shot for 5 years :)

Yep, it's a great wrestling technique. I was taken down via "fireman's carry" (I think that's the technique you're talking about) by a very short strong guy with a low center of gravity. It was surprising and pretty awesome at the same time.

id be afraid to even try it against someone above blue especially if they know how to crucifix lol it hard to get on good guys

Yep, it's a great wrestling technique. I was taken down via "fireman's carry" (I think that's the technique you're talking about) by a very short strong guy with a low center of gravity. It was surprising and pretty awesome at the same time.
It's actually very underrated and not taught well in a lot of the us
id be afraid to even try it against someone above blue especially if they know how to crucifix lol it hard to get on good guys
That's because your firemans sucks. Though it can be risky if you're not paying attention

It's actually very underrated and not taught well in a lot of the us

That's because your firemans sucks. Though it can be risky if you're not paying attention

It's on my bucket list to get a good firemans, it's just so freaking cool and because of dat bjj-stance. I train with Muslim Patsarigov of recent slapping-AJ-fame, and firemans carry is one of his specialties, and as jack said, good luck trying to crucifix him.

It's on my bucket list to get a good firemans, it's just so freaking cool and because of dat bjj-stance. I train with Muslim Patsarigov of recent slapping-AJ-fame, and firemans carry is one of his specialties, and as jack said, good luck trying to crucifix him.
To be fair I've been hitting it since middle school so I have thousands upon thousands of repslol

Yeah, anyone who has trained standup grappling has been hit with it. It's a mainstay of wrestling, sambo, and pre-modern rules judo. Was my favorite takedown in wrestling.

Everyone I train with asks me to teach them the fireman's carry. And then I show them, because it's not super complicated. And then they say "oh, okay, cool." And then they don't rep it, and then they don't learn it, and then I hit it again, and then we repeat.

For the record, the crucifix risk is pretty low as long as you don't just hang out there and let him do it. Otherwise everyone would be using it in wrestling to stop the move as well (and they don't).

Yeah, anyone who has trained standup grappling has been hit with it. It's a mainstay of wrestling, sambo, and pre-modern rules judo. Was my favorite takedown in wrestling.
need to have a good backdrag too that's the thing most people don't have that makes it low percentage

need to have a good backdrag too that's the thing most people don't have that makes it low percentage

Yes and for me that comes from setting it up with movement, which takes some comfort with standup grappling. So I guess you could say it's simple-ish but there are some "prerequisites."

Yes and for me that comes from setting it up with movement, which takes some comfort with standup grappling. So I guess you could say it's simple-ish but there are some "prerequisites."
I've gotten to the point where I bait them into underhooking me to get it

I've gotten to the point where I bait them into underhooking me to get it

I've done that on occasion but I'm just not that comfortable conceding the underhook. My wrestling game is pretty limited nowadays. Maybe if I had a decent Greco background or a killer arm spin or something.

I've done that on occasion but I'm just not that comfortable conceding the underhook. My wrestling game is pretty limited nowadays. Maybe if I had a decent Greco background or a killer arm spin or something.
Misspoke, you don't actually give them the underhook you flare you're elbow rather than keeping it down. Most people instinctively start putting it in and are coming in. The shot almost feels too easy

I've noticed that frequent use of the Fireman's carry (or closely related carries) correlates highly with wrestling GOATdom
eg Fadzayev (Soviet GOAT), Saitiev (Russia GOAT), John Smith ('Murica GOAT)

Misspoke, you don't actually give them the underhook you flare you're elbow rather than keeping it down. Most people instinctively start putting it in and are coming in. The shot almost feels too easy

Gotcha, I'll have to play around with that.

Everyone I train with asks me to teach them the fireman's carry. And then I show them, because it's not super complicated. And then they say "oh, okay, cool." And then they don't rep it, and then they don't learn it, and then I hit it again, and then we repeat.

For the record, the crucifix risk is pretty low as long as you don't just hang out there and let him do it. Otherwise everyone would be using it in wrestling to stop the move as well (and they don't).

Yeah, I've been taught that as well by the Chechens at my gym who all love and (ab)use it. Gotta commit and dont hang out, and set it up by movement and hand-fighting. One of them is really good at going for it multiple times like spamming drop seio nage, it's a bitch to defend, at least for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back