Anyone coach little league or play catch with youth? - Glove Suggestions?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I need a new glove as mine is 30+ years old. I don't need to field grounders or anything. I was going to get a catcher's mitt b/c some of those kids throw hard. However I've found that a firstbaseman's mitt might be the perfect hybrid between a "normal" fielder's glove and a catcher's mitt as it has more padding in the palm yet still has the length to play catch and field properly if I need to field balls.

Anyone have experience with firstbaseman's mitts? Catcher mitts? Different brands or styles? I need one under $100 as I'm just using it to play catch and warm up pitchers and stuff.

Something like this maybe?

61RqcctsozL._SL1001_.jpg

What role are you in exactly? If it's just catch for warmup, I'd get a normal glove. If you are going to be warming up the pitchers, I'd use a catcher's mitt (normally the team will have one). I don't think there would be a situation where getting a first baseman's mitt would make sense.

What role are you in exactly? If it's just catch for warmup, I'd get a normal glove. If you are going to be warming up the pitchers, I'd use a catcher's mitt (normally the team will have one). I don't think there would be a situation where getting a first baseman's mitt would make sense.

It's just coaching kids anywhere from 6 years old to 12 years old depending on which team(s) I coach that year.

The catcher's mitt is a bit tricky b/c the pitchers are NOT very accurate so I end up digging a lot of balls out of the dirt or having to reach for balls. But some do throw fairly hard so they sting a bit if I catch it in the palm. If I find some good deals I may just get a regular 12-13" glove AND a catcher's mitt. But I figured a 1st base mitt might be good for digging balls out of the dirt and providing more palm protection so I only need 1 glove. 1st base mitt is slow on transfer from glove to throwing hand but I don't care about that.

But in general it's honestly just being the coach and showing drills. Playing catch with the kids. Some warming up and teaching pitchers. My normal glove has seemed fine but it's worn out now, so was looking into options.

I definitely wouldn't play catcher for kids 11-12 without a catcher's mitt. At that age, some of the kids can bring it. From 45 feet, that shit would hurt. We generally had one available for the team, but other catchers would sometimes buy their own. I wouldn't expect the coach to have to invest in it, but times have changed. Good luck!

Kids were reared ITT...

I would use an outfielder's glove. Extra inch or 2 for shagging and playing catch, easier to handle than the first baseman's mitt. Catcher's mitt will be uncomfortable for shagging or long toss.

Just a normal glove should be fine. The league should have a catchers mitt if you need to catch for a pitcher. You definitely don’t want a catcher mitt for normal use. And don't catch for a kid without a mask on, at the minimum. Cup would be a good idea as well.

They WILL be throwing in the dirt.

I would use an outfielder's glove. Extra inch or 2 for shagging and playing catch, easier to handle than the first baseman's mitt. Catcher's mitt will be uncomfortable for shagging or long toss.

This...you just need a regular glove, and an outfielders is gonna be best just for playing catch,. etc...definitely don't get a catcher's glove just to play catch...

I definitely wouldn't play catcher for kids 11-12 without a catcher's mitt. At that age, some of the kids can bring it. From 45 feet, that shit would hurt. We generally had one available for the team, but other catchers would sometimes buy their own. I wouldn't expect the coach to have to invest in it, but times have changed. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! Ya, some of those kids from a mound 45 feet away can really throw that thing! It's kind of that in between stage where a good pitcher can absolute dominate the batters b/c of the short distance to the mound. Eventually they move the mound back and the batters have a chance but that 9-11 year old range can be tough for batters...heh.

We get a catcher's mitt in the gear bag that the league provides. Though it is kind of a "youth" size I could probably jam my hand into the thing for short stints. I do like to catch my own kids as well.

Some coaches go nuts with their own gear. The buy their own catcher's gear set and everything (the league ones usually suck). They have all their own practice stuff (nets, tees, balls, etc.).

Ya, I'm beginning to think a catcher's mitt only is a BAD idea....heh. The 1st base mitts I'm looking at are like 12.5" so a decent length. Just not sure how comfortable they'd be for daily catch. Maybe too bulky and hard to handle like you said.

This...you just need a regular glove, and an outfielders is gonna be best just for playing catch,. etc...definitely don't get a catcher's glove just to play catch...

How about a first base mitt though? :) - They are kind of longer like an outfield's glove. Just more padding for my hand. Or maybe I should just make sure I catch the ball in the pocket and not with my palm ;)

normal glove would be best as others have said, the first baseman's mitt is primarily just a larger glove, if you are squatted down to catch and they are throwing in the dirt you'll be catching the glove in the dirt a lot. What age are we talking about here? I know 13 and under you'll rarely find a kid that can throw more than 50 mph, if by chance there is one that throws hard I'd wear maybe a thinly padded glove under or even a batters glove, also your hand will get used to it.

Also, double on the advice to wear a cup, worm burners are magnets to your jewels. or at least they were for me.

How about a first base mitt though? :) - They are kind of longer like an outfield's glove. Just more padding for my hand. Or maybe I should just make sure I catch the ball in the pocket and not with my palm ;)

Nah I'd go with a regular glove...I think a first base glove or catchers would be awkward just for regular play...honestly unless your old glove is torn up or something, I'd prefer and old, very broken in glove to buying a new one...I still use one that's probably around 20 years old...

normal glove would be best as others have said, the first baseman's mitt is primarily just a larger glove, if you are squatted down to catch and they are throwing in the dirt you'll be catching the glove in the dirt a lot. What age are we talking about here? I know 13 and under you'll rarely find a kid that can throw more than 50 mph, if by chance there is one that throws hard I'd wear maybe a thinly padded glove under or even a batters glove, also your hand will get used to it.

Also, double on the advice to wear a cup, worm burners are magnets to your jewels. or at least they were for me.

Bro, aren't you in Florida? I'm guessing there are loads of kids bringing it faster than 50 mph in Little League. Most of the best pitchers we had back then (West Palm Beach area) were throwing 60+. Some of the kids in the LLWS are around 70 mph.

Bro, aren't you in Florida? I'm guessing there are loads of kids bringing it faster than 50 mph in Little League. Most of the best pitchers we had back then (West Palm Beach area) were throwing 60+. Some of the kids in the LLWS are around 70 mph.
under 13? Not that I can remember, I know we had one kid that got it up to about 55/60 mph, I took one to the head from that kid (I was 12 at the time) and that knocked my ass out. Once you get to 13 to 18 range you have them throwing in the 70's easy.

you got me curious with that one so I had to look it up.
The average fastball is between 50-60 mph for a pitcher in the Majors division ofLittle League (11-13 yo). Pitchers in the Little League World Series throw fastballs 60-70+ mph.Aug 15, 2015
Switch Pitching 101: Fastball Velocity - How fast do kids throw?
I couldn't imagine the 70 mph with the shorter distance, 46' that would be a bitch to hit.

Back