Anyone actually experienced overtraining?

Ironically when I was around 11/12 I ended up with chronic fatique syndrome. It was because I was a bit of a energetic little fucker and went to tennis/swam or just got up to shenanigans. That killed me off for a good 6 months (16 hour sleeps weren't unheard of for most of that period).

When I was training pre competing while at uni, I was doing mon-sun training 2 hours a day skill (with about 30 hard rounds of sparring amongst all that with actual fighters and most heavier then me by 30-40 kg), weights 3 times a week, running twice a week and going out drinking 2-3 times a week...at some point I got uni work done for 20 ish hours a week. I felt tired and worn out all the time (ala zombie mode), but numbers went up, fitness increased etc so carried it on for like 2 years.

Ah the joys of being a teenager/in my very early 20's.

Those early days were in my old log that was deleted during the great sherdog thread purge of 2005.

I had a serious case of over training in my late teens.

I'd wanted to get stronger for Judo so after doing a little bit of reading online the only information that really stuck was that if i wanted to get stronger that i needed to do barbell compound lifts with heavy weights. Of course, i was an idiot and didn't really understand the relationship between reps, intensity, recovery and all that. I wouldn't have been able to distinguish the difference between strength training and bodybuilding and made the mistake of mixing the two ignorantly.

So what did I do?
I found a list of compound exercises and worked out.
My workout looked like this.

Back Squat 3x10
Overhead press 3x10
Bent over barbell rows 3x10
Bench Press 3x10
Barbell Curls 3x10
Calf raises 3x10
Shoulder shrugs 3x10
Dead lifts 3x10
Barbell wrist curls 3x10
Dips 3x10

With the heaviest weight i could manage i'd intensely scrape out 10 reps for each exercise and take about 90 seconds rest in between each set and exercise. I did that 3x a week before doing a 2 hour judo session.

First i would find it difficult to sleep. My sleep quality would be really poor.
I'd have to get up early for school the next day and end up building up a real bad sleep deficit.
I didn't have the money or the knowledge to manage my nutrition appropriately at that time either.
So I did this for a few months and as the weight on the bar increased it just kept getting tougher.
I'd find it difficult to walk or move my arms past a certain point for a couple days after each workout and then gradually it felt like my body was permanently experiencing DOMS.

Again, i was an absolute moron and thought all this was par for the course. As long as i made sure to take a day off between workouts i'd be good. No pain, no gain as they say.

Then my cardio bombed. I was exhausted after 30seconds of randori. It was so bad that My high school soccer coach brought me on as a substitute for a one off match the school was playing. I made one sprint, gassed hard and had to request an immediate substitution.

Still i hadn't made the connection that my body wasn't recovering well.

Then one evening i was on the bench press when another member of the gym approached me to say i was doing too much. He was an out of shape older guy claiming to be a doctor. I was young, dumb, and thought i had it all worked out. So i brushed him off arrogantly and kept pushing harder.

It all came to an end when I was sitting in the 6th form common room after another terrible nights sleep.
I was tired, aching, moody & irritable and i needed to get something to eat. So i stood up and all of a sudden my heart began racing, my temperature soared and i began feeling dizzy. Things had gone too far.

So i quit training right about the same time school ended.

I'm not kidding when i say that i believe the damage i did to myself during that time took years to recover from.
I was always moody, irritable, anxious and depressed for years after and i can look back and see that it started during that time. My grades were excellent prior...complete trash afterwards. I'd stopped hanging around with friends, given up judo and was a living zombie. Just walking upstairs I would sweat like crazy, my heart rate was always really high and my body always felt like it was on fire and trapped in the adrenal fight or flight response. I had no energy for anything.

Thankfully i'm much better now and train more towards the tactical barbell philosophy.
Picking a few lifts and training them as frequently as possible whilst avoiding fatigue and training my other energy systems around the core lifts. Feels good man.

I think i may have done that once with deadlifts on 5/3/1
I did like 30 reps ish and was so tired but couldnt sleep for 2 days. Felt like a junkie

Deadlifting on 5/3/1 ran me into the ground too. I don't think I was over trained, just fried. No amount of sleep helped me recover either. I always climbed out of bed feeling like I'd lost a fight.

I think lack of recovery is the real issue not over training. Scheduling in a deload session is good for me as I have to be dead and walking like c3p0 to skip a workout or grappling, even as as I approach 40. Stretching, sleep and shit load of water help too. Only took me well over a decade to learn and I still take it too far sometimes but much more in tune now.

Happens to me a lot because I rarely take days off. Symptoms usually are depression, irritable, have even harder time sleeping, libido is non existent, won't get any type of pump during workouts, overall fatigue, lose any appetite, and generally lose motivation. I just take a couple days off when I notice these things happening

Hi,

Apologies for asking my own overtraining question in this thread.

I've been doing quite heavy weight lifting 4-5 days per week for 15 years and i am now 34 years old. I have dropped my weight lifting down to 4 days per week, but some of my sessions can be fairly intensive, such as 24 sets (8 exercises, 3 Sets) of mostly High Weight / Low Rep work. Such as Heavy Squats, Heavy Deadlifts, Heavy Benchpress, Heavy Rows, Weighted Pull Ups, Weighted Dips etc.

I also train MMA class 1 day per week for 1-2 hours and Karate class 2 days per week for 1 hour, plus additional training at home sometimes for approx 1 hour at a time, such as using my heavy punch bag or wrestling in the garden with my GF who also does MMA.

So there are many weeks were i am doing something intensive for 1-2 hours per day, 6-7 days per week.

I don't feel like this is overtraining and i know people who train MMA much more than me, but maybe don't ALSO do 4 days per week of heavy weight lifting like i do.

However, i seem to have near constant mild injuries, such as mild foot pain for 16+ weeks, calf pain for 16+ weeks, shoulder pain for 16+ weeks, knee pain for 10+ weeks, back pain for 4+ weeks etc.

Do i need to slow down? Or is this just quite typical for someone of my age, who has been doing heavy weight lifting for 15 years?

Is this overtraining? Or do i just need to power through it and stop complaining?

Thanks

Hi,

I've been doing quite heavy weight lifting 4-5 days per week for 15 years and i am now 34 years old. I have dropped my weight lifting down to 4 days per week, but some of my sessions can be fairly intensive, such as 24 sets (8 exercises, 3 Sets) of mostly High Weight / Low Rep work. Such as Heavy Squats, Heavy Deadlifts, Heavy Benchpress, Heavy Rows, Weighted Pull Ups, Weighted Dips etc.

I also train MMA class 1 day per week for 1-2 hours and Karate class 2 days per week for 1 hour, plus additional training at home sometimes for approx 1 hour at a time, such as using my heavy punch bag or wrestling in the garden with my GF who also does MMA.

So there are many weeks were i am doing something intensive for 1-2 hours per day, 6-7 days per week.

I don't feel like this is overtraining and i know people who train MMA much more than me, but maybe don't ALSO do 4 days per week of heavy weight lifting like i do.

However, i seem to have near constant mild injuries, such as mild foot pain for 16+ weeks, calf pain for 16+ weeks, shoulder pain for 16+ weeks, knee pain for 10+ weeks, back pain for 4+ weeks etc.

Do i need to slow down? Or is this just quite typical for someone of my age, who has been doing heavy weight lifting for 15 years?

Is this overtraining? Or do i just need to power through it and stop complaining?

Thanks

I'm in my 40s. Had similar issues in my 30s. Some of what you're feeling may be due to wear and tear from years of training, overuse injuries, or just over training. If at all possible, if you're having pain in a joint or specific muscle for extended time periods, see a doctor/PT.

Do I need to slow down

Yes? No? Maybe? It depends. Are you deloading? Are you taking a week or two ever where you go super light or do little to nothing? Are you stretching/warming up? Are you foam rolling? Are you getting proper sleep? Are you eating well? A lot of factors go into recovery age is one of the last ones.

Contrary to the "see a doc/pt" line above, when my shoulders wouldn't stop hurting I just stopped lifting.

Or is this just quite typical for someone of my age, who has been doing heavy weight lifting for 15 years?

Age is not as much of a factor as 15 years of intense activity. Wear and tear adds up. If you're a 45 year old with a natty 980 Free T level and all other hormone levels are either above band range or near the top of range, you're in a 1000x better position than a 25 year old with a 160 Free T and hormones towards the bottom of the boundaries.

If you aren't deloading and resting properly, yes, and it sounds like accumulation of wear and tear.

Listen to your body. If you're frequently finding nagging owies/bumps/injuries and even having multiple at a time, it may be a good idea to evaluate the above list? Rest, deload, stretching, warm ups, foam rolling, sleep, diet, hydration.

If you feel like you're not recovering, take more time to recover. Supplements may also be part of the answer if you're not taking anything. A good fish oil goes A REALLY FUCKING LONG WAY for most people. It sounds like you're exaggerating when you list what good fish oil can do for people. Make sure to get one that is "triglyceride" form.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks
As someone who trains mma 6 days a week, I definitely started getting overuse and bad injuries when my body was broken down from frequent weight lifting.
You can do both, but you are going to have to prioritize one or the other.

A lot of my injuries are from lifting heavy squats, deadlifts, and bench; and then the next day grappling or doing mma rounds when my body if recovering from lifting.

Here’s a tip. If you’re going to lift heavy, keep the reps and volume low. Like 5 reps 3 sets, maybe 4 exercises.
Once you start going into that 6-10 rep range with heavy weights is when your muscles really start breaking down imo

Actual overtraining maybe when I thought my piss was brown or when I got shingles. Shingles stay dormant until your immune system is compromised. If I overtrain then I feel a patch around my back that wraps to the front. It gets red before it flares up. I just need to chill out before that happens.

In my 20's I was in a continual zombie zone and nursing injuries / inability to sleep fully.
In hindsight, I was definitely under rested for about 10 months (20 plus hours per week training across running, standup training and lifting weights).

I'm always overtrained. I'm pickled in overtraining and now I'm a pickle.

I'm always overtrained. I'm pickled in overtraining and now I'm a pickle.

latest

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/r...trimmed.png/revision/latest?cb=20220105043415

Yeah, I could see that happening. Guess that can happen when you're pulling 600+?

With your great humor I fully expect you to win your next talent show you would likely fair better off as a comedian than a powerlifter.

Not sure if I was overtrained or just pushing my overall limits of exhaustion, but I put in like 80 hours at work and lifted/did jiu jitsu 6 out of the 7 days and by the last day I could barely lift my 55lbs kid, arms were shaking.

Not sure if I was overtrained or just pushing my overall limits of exhaustion, but I put in like 80 hours at work and lifted/did jiu jitsu 6 out of the 7 days and by the last day I could barely lift my 55lbs kid, arms were shaking.

I did a 10 day hiking/camping trip in Colorado this past summer. Constantly pushing myself at 10k or more feet of altitude day after day made my body and brain feel in ways I never have before. I felt like trash for days even after the trip was over, like I had a neverending hangover.

I've been up plenty of mountains, hiked, snowboarded, and done manual labor....but that shit was something else. I never sleep well when camping so I'm sure it was more an issue of being under recovered than overtrained.

Back