Anyone a Dutch Kickboxing practitioner

Good points in this thread! I want to add something in the difference between the trainings I experienced. I train almost 19 years in Amsterdam (Dutch kickboxing), and went 3 times to Thailand to train Muay Thai (totally maybe 3 months of training), great experience and I learned a lot in Thailand, especially in the clinch and the kicking game.
One of the biggest difference I noticed between the training in both countries, was the intensity. Dutch kickboxing lessons are mostly 1 hour, and at a high pace without rest. In Thailand what I experienced was that the trainings were approximately 2 hours and at a much lower pace.

Last edited:
I think "dutch kickboxing" is an american concept. I never heard of it but on internet in us websites. There is definitely a dutch style... You should crosstrain boxing and muaythai if you dont live near a k1 oriented gym.

Is "American Kickboxing" also an American concept? ;)

I'd say those are more internet concepts as you pointed out.

Is "American Kickboxing" also an American concept? ;)

I'd say those are more internet concepts as you pointed out.

Yes, i agree with you. I don't know if it exists in England ( i see you are from London ), but in France, we call " American boxing" Rick Roufus style : No Lowkicks and wearing shining pants. It was popular in the 80s and beginning 90s.

Yes, i agree with you. I don't know if it exists in England ( i see you are from London ), but in France, we call " American boxing" Rick Roufus style : No Lowkicks and wearing shining pants. It was popular in the 80s and beginning 90s.

I'm from France originally and where I lived we'd simply call the American style of kickboxing with long pants "KIckboxing" or "Full Contact", and the Dutch style Kickboxing would simply be called "K-1".

Back