Anyone a Dutch Kickboxing practitioner

Boltonian

Reaper of souls, terminator of goals
@White
Reaction score
Easy Sherbros, So i was just wondering what a typical Dutch kickboxing session is like compared to Muay thai sessions and the biggest differences you have encountered between the two styles. Dutch kickboxing to me is the perfect style for Mixed Martial Arts with the slick hands and the devastating low kicks. Any response would be appreciated as normal and im not debating the effectiveness of other stand up styles, i just think it fits my fighting style.

There is a lot more clinch work and throwing in Mauy Thai. some sparring sessions will be nothing but clinch and knees. Or at leas there should be. However, to be honest the routine in "Mauy Thai" gym is in usa gym is going to be more or less the same thing as an kickboxing/ mma gym.

I don't really like the low kick focus of the Dutch and prefer the clinch focus of Muay Thai.

No clinch work
Very little time spend on elbows (and if)
Little time spend on knees (and if)
A lot more boxing
Long combos
The classic 1-2-3-Low
Rarely check to mid kicks
Lot more work on hooks and uppers
Not many teeps
More movement/foot work

That's from my experience, so it could be a lot different for someone else. I don't have a lot of experience in Dutch style kickboxing gyms, and they didn't really labeled themselves like that. To them it was just kickboxing.

Last edited:
No clinch work
Very little time spend on elbows (and if)
Little time spend on knees (and if)
A lot more boxing
Long combos
The classic 1-2-3-Low
Rarely check to mid kicks
Lot more work on hooks and uppers
Not many teeps
A little more movement/foot work

That's from my experience, so it could be a lot different for someone else. I don't have a lot of experience in Dutch style kickboxing gyms, and they didn't really labeled them selves like that. To them it was just kickboxing.

I used to study under one of the top Dutch style guys who called what he did Muay Thai. I really do not know if he has lineage with the Dutch actually. I know he a Karate and Boxing base and he studied a lot of Muay Thai. Anyways, he trained a lot of kickboxing champions

I think that outside Thailand, japan, and France, it's very hard to find pure MT gyms, with real MT training. I have been to a lot of gyms in the Balkans that advertised themselves as MT gyms, and it was pure KB with some time a little session for knees and elbows... I spend a lot of time transitioning gyms until i found pure MT training.
And i don't even want to talk of the trainers background. Between guys who spend 2 weeks in Thailand and think they are krus, guys coming from TKD, karate and think they know MT...

I think that outside Thailand, japan, and France, it's very hard to find pure MT gyms, with real MT training. I have been to a lot of gyms in the Balkans that advertised themselves as MT gyms, and it was pure KB with some time a little session for knees and elbows... I spend a lot of time transitioning gyms until i found pure MT training.
And i don't even want to talk of the trainers background. Between guys who spend 2 weeks in Thailand and think they are krus, guys coming from TKD, karate and think they know MT...

My instructor was not one of those karate guys that went on vacation to Thailand for a few week and now calls what he does MT. He spent serious time doing MT also. However, yeah, his style is more what you described and pure MT guys would come in there and say that it is not pure MT. He can and does put more clinch work, elbows, etc in at later stages.

It's not really that different. Unless you're at a muay thai gym that regularly trains clinch like mine (rare in the west), you probably won't notice much difference.

Dutch KB has a better carry over to MMA imo

MT will have more teeps, clinching, and a more upright taller stance. DKB has more punching combinations that end with a kick, the stance is more forward heavy compared to MT. You can see the difference just watching MT fights and GLORY fights

Dutch KB has a better carry over to MMA imo

MT will have more teeps, clinching, and a more upright taller stance. DKB has more punching combinations that end with a kick, the stance is more forward heavy compared to MT. You can see the difference just watching MT fights and GLORY fights
Yeah completely agree , i think with the heavy forward stance also allows for easier transitions into takedowns without making it to obvious. I have been watching alot of the glory fights recently especially the dutch kickboxers and i love the slickness of the hands added with the head movement. There is alot of Muay thai gyms where i am with Thai trainers who have been Lumpinee champions but coming from a boxing background when i do muay thai i cant seem to get into it because of the lack of focus on hands, not saying that is the case in all muay thai because i know isaan there style is more punching based but still. Unluckily for me there is no Dutch kickboxing gyms near me.

Yeah completely agree , i think with the heavy forward stance also allows for easier transitions into takedowns without making it to obvious. I have been watching alot of the glory fights recently especially the dutch kickboxers and i love the slickness of the hands added with the head movement. There is alot of Muay thai gyms where i am with Thai trainers who have been Lumpinee champions but coming from a boxing background when i do muay thai i cant seem to get into it because of the lack of focus on hands, not saying that is the case in all muay thai because i know isaan there style is more punching based but still. Unluckily for me there is no Dutch kickboxing gyms near me.
Its also easier on TDD being more front heavy compared to back heavy.

Alot of MMA gyms are actually more "dutch style" despite being labelled MT. Its a marketing thing imo. Are you in America?

Its also easier on TDD being more front heavy compared to back heavy.

Alot of MMA gyms are actually more "dutch style" despite being labelled MT. Its a marketing thing imo. Are you in America?
I train at a MMA gym at the minute and they do boxing and muay thai classes but it doesnt seem to be aimed towards actual MMA training which i find strange. I wish man, ive just moved to Australia from England.

I train at a MMA gym at the minute and they do boxing and muay thai classes but it doesnt seem to be aimed towards actual MMA training which i find strange. I wish man, ive just moved to Australia from England.
Damn that sucks, but I guess you'll have to work with what you have.

I think I get what you mean, they're a MMA gym business wise, but the styles are separated and not really blended. This actually ends up being a slight problem down the road, but maybe if they have time, they'll transition into full MMA gym. We have those types here alot as well.

Yeah mate id give a pinky to live in America. Yeah there bread and butter is BJJ and have alot of Black and brown belts and yeah thats exactly what it is regarding the blending but the problem is the boxing/Muay thai coach isnt an MMA fighter just purely trains them disciplines so i dont see it changing in the future. In the future i will have to head to Thailand for some training or Bali MMA with the Leone brothers.

I trained dutch kuckboxing but as our coach is also a pro MMA fighter he always included a day dedicated to clinching take downs and defence. However we are also heavily influenced with boxing as we train in a boxing gym. Most of our drills include a lot of distance and angle work. We work a lot on slips ducks tempo, footwork. However one can notice the tipical dkb combos and bullshit hits. The difference is we are tought to either control at the end of a combo or get the hell away with a good foodwork prefferably in an angle.

I trained dutch kuckboxing but as our coach is also a pro MMA fighter he always included a day dedicated to clinching take downs and defence. However we are also heavily influenced with boxing as we train in a boxing gym. Most of our drills include a lot of distance and angle work. We work a lot on slips ducks tempo, footwork. However one can notice the tipical dkb combos and bullshit hits. The difference is we are tought to either control at the end of a combo or get the hell away with a good foodwork prefferably in an angle.
Im jealous of you, i cant lie i would love to train with a coach who is a legit Dutch kickboxer. Where you train out of man.

It's going to be different coach to coach, gym to gym. I did Dutch style for years and we worked clinch wrestling, knees, elbows, etc. my coach likes "Dutch drills" over Thai pads but we did a good amount of both

Im jealous of you, i cant lie i would love to train with a coach who is a legit Dutch kickboxer. Where you train out of man.
I dont know if he is a legit dkb, but he is a legit fighter and a great coach. However one can see his kick boxing is greatly influenced by dkb.

I trained in a small gym in a town in Bulgaria. I am going back in April. He is training in a gym in a city in Bulgaria. He has a few fights in youtube you can check him out and decide by yourself if his kick boxing is dkb - Dragomir Yordanov.

Yeah he is definitely a legit fighter i watched one of his fights, he has nice combos with his hands with power in his hits, he did do some combos with some low kicks mixed in there but he was more hands orientated but he was against a combat sambo practitioner so might have been wary of takedowns off the kicks.

Well, I'm Dutch and trained kickboxing for 10 years. I'm always a bit confused by the whole 'Dutch kickboxing' thing, as there are pretty big differences between gyms. Anyway, this is what a general training would look like.

We'd have a general warm up, followed by conditioning work: either bag work or pads training. We'd follow that up with technique training. This almost always included the standard combinations people have come to consider typically Dutch, but also clinching. We'd do some sparring afterwards, sometimes with specific tasks or just free sparring. Mind you, the hard sparring like in the Mike's Gym videos is not something we used to do, as we were all well aware most of us actually had to go to work the next day. We'd end the class with a cool down.

The bag work would look like the bag work you Souwer do in this video.

Pads training would just look like what you see the Thai do. Clinching would be like the video below

Anyway, like I said, training differs a lot from gym to gym. We trained everything, as do Carbin, Chakuriki and lesser known gyms like Keumgang in The Hague. Gyms like Van Roosmalen and Mike's Gym are geared much more towards K-1 rules and very boxing oriented, so their training is quite a bit different. I don't really have any experience with what people in other countries call 'Dutch kickboxing', but this is what a typical session at a Dutch gym might look like.

I think "dutch kickboxing" is an american concept. I never heard of it but on internet in us websites. There is definitely a dutch style... You should crosstrain boxing and muaythai if you dont live near a k1 oriented gym.

Back