Anybody use this technique?

closequarters

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Get pant grips at the cuff on your opponent and either stand up and extend your arms so he is just dangling there upside down or use your grips to spin him around the mat? This isn't a joke. This technique frustrates, embarrasses, and causes your opponent to flounder around like a fish out of water. At some point, cross grip and leg drag.

Good guard pass, yeah?

I find it really easy to break those grip with my feet, I got caught once and it's right that it gets to you.

I guess to break the grip, you circle your feet just like breaking a sleeve grip?

Yeah, and you have to be pretty violent.

Also, people have the luxury to stand over you like that, from outside of your guard range, because you aren't threatening to stand up. If you aren't allowed to stand up with him, then he is sort of gaming the system. Threaten to stand up so he has to engage.

IMO - I'm not ranked. Anyone disagree?

Some people have a habit to lay down on their backs and think that's an open guard. Your pass works on those people.

If they are not that stupid they will get a collar grip and choke you once you try reaching for the pants.

I guess to break the grip, you circle your feet just like breaking a sleeve grip?

It's not that easy to get a good grip at the ankles and if you're on your back you can react really fast before he gets a good grip just by moving your feet towards the ground after that, like Russky said, you just grab a the collar and put him in your closed guard

Get pant grips at the cuff on your opponent and either stand up and extend your arms so he is just dangling there upside down or use your grips to spin him around the mat? This isn't a joke. This technique frustrates, embarrasses, and causes your opponent to flounder around like a fish out of water. At some point, cross grip and leg drag.

Good guard pass, yeah?

Yeah. You have the right concept.

Grab his pants and put his back on the floor as fast as possible without him having a sleeve or lapel.

Then proceed to your favorite guard pass like leg drag.

It's not that easy to get a good grip at the ankles and if you're on your back you can react really fast before he gets a good grip just by moving your feet towards the ground after that, like Russky said, you just grab a the collar and put him in your closed guard

Lately I have been changing my game a little bit. I used to be a light fast guy, got a few surgeries put on a bunch of weight, then became a slow pressure roller. I recently finally lost most of the weight back to where I can go back to a fast paced scramble style game.

Anyways, during scrambles I have been looking for a low pant grip (preferably at the cuff) to hang on to by the end of the scramble so that I can at least come up with a modified single. I decided to try and aim for both pant grips lately. But yeah, you guys are right, guys playing sitting open guard or guard off their backs, may get caught slipping once or twice but after that, they don't give up those grips easily.

Lately I have been changing my game a little bit. I used to be a light fast guy, got a few surgeries put on a bunch of weight, then became a slow pressure roller. I recently finally lost most of the weight back to where I can go back to a fast paced scramble style game.

Anyways, during scrambles I have been looking for a low pant grip (preferably at the cuff) to hang on to by the end of the scramble so that I can at least come up with a modified single. I decided to try and aim for both pant grips lately. But yeah, you guys are right, guys playing sitting open guard or guard off their backs, may get caught slipping once or twice but after that, they don't give up those grips easily.

That's why it is important to trash your friends with cheese. Better you do it to them in the gym than it happen to them anywhere else.

TA hreaten to stand up so he has to engage.

IMO - I'm not ranked. Anyone disagree?

A lot of the times in gi jiu jitsu you want to be on bottom and as such standing up is not something you want to do because the other guy will pull guard.
Personally I like the butt scoot guard a lot more then just laying on the back with no contact because I can just low single people when they try to do silly running around.

Back