Anybody else sick of this point fighting garbage?

LuchaBear

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
"I've won the first 2/3 rounds so I just need to be safe and I'll win the fight."

"If I take him down, I might win the round."

"If I can get both hands down on the ground, maybe I can get him/her to knee my head so a point gets taken off."

GSP was a great fighter until he got knocked out by Serra and then he became a point fighter. Many are like this now to the point that there's little entertainment value in most fights.

MMA is no longer fighting. It's point fighting and I fucking hate it. It's not entertaining.

animated-goodbye-image-0031.gif

The more well rounded fighters get, the more they negate eachother out.

As the sport evolves, this will become more and more common.

I don't mind point fighting if the fighters are busy but the ones with basically zero action is hard to watch. Thats why i record most events so I can fast forward that shit.

Didn't GSP talk about wanting longer rounds or no time limits at one time?

They should start structuring contracts that they get paid 3x as much for stoppages vs decisions.

Amanda did the right thing,if she was gone for the finish she's probaly would've gassed within 3 rounds...Valentina for otherside has a much better cardio,so i dont get why she fighted like that,there's no one to blame but herself.

i have never heard anyone complain about the point system?

die hard counter strikers are the real problem, worst style for casuals

That's why we have pay scales. Dana White has never rewarded safe fighters with big contracts unless they are big draws (GSP).

"I've won the first 2/3 rounds so I just need to be safe and I'll win the fight."

"If I take him down, I might win the round."

"If I can get both hands down on the ground, maybe I can get him/her to knee my head so a point gets taken off."

GSP was a great fighter until he got knocked out by Serra and then he became a point fighter. Many are like this now to the point that there's little entertainment value in most fights.

MMA is no longer fighting. It's point fighting and I fucking hate it. It's not entertaining.

animated-goodbye-image-0031.gif
yet another reason why Pride was superior to the UFC

Main event was point fighting to the extreme. 99% feinting and staring and 1% actually landing anything

die hard counter strikers are the real problem, worst style for casuals
Exactly. Either their opponents arent skilled enough and they just march forward with no defense and they look AMAZING, or they get matched up with decent to very good fighters and you get fights like last night.

You get paid a lot more as champion. Champions will fight safe to keep their belts.

I don't understand the challengers though. It seems like we have this big trend of guys/girls getting title shots and doing absolutely nothing. You work your entire career to get a title chance and then you go in there and spar, cardio kickbox or do absolutely nothing and lose rounds. Blows my mind.

UFC finish rate statistics:

2007 through 2013: 54% of fights ended with a finish (fightnomics .com)
2011: 47% of fights ended with a finish. (My own statistics [I watched every fight])
2012: 48% of fights ended with a (My own statistics [I watched every fight])
2015: 51% of fights ended with a finish (Washington Post)

As you can see, it has basically always been the same: about half of fights go to a finish. Submissions have usually made up about 45% of finishes.

However, I don't know statistics for championship fights specifically; it could be that point fighting has gone up (and finish rates gone down) for championship fights.

Back