Any WRers ever study in depth or adopt some Eastern religion / thought system?

deltapapha

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
By Eastern I mean mainly either Hinduism or Buddhism or some direct derivative of them.

But also: (this is a copy and paste from wiki)

1 South Asian philosophies
1.1 Hindu philosophies
1.2 Jain philosophy
1.3 Buddhist philosophies
1.4 Cārvāka
1.5 Sikh philosophy

2 East Asian philosophies
2.1 Confucianism
2.2 Neo-Confucianism
2.3 Taoism
2.4 Legalism
2.5 Shinto

3 Modern developments
3.1 Neo-Hinduism and Hindu modernism
3.2 Buddhist modernism
3.3 New Confucianism
3.4 Maoism
3.5 Juche

For the sake of narrowing focus I am EXcluding inquiry into Eastern forms of Christianity and Islam. I am actually just plain curious, no ulterior motive, this is just not a topic you often see visited in the War Room. I myself am a traditionalist Christian but have done some reading here and there within Eastern systems, nothing in depth.

Anybody ever journeyed through any of them and either stayed or moved on.

NOTE: I intended a kind of free ranging discussion of Eastern systems in general. All posts even inflamatory ones are welcome within the WR rules.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to just good ol straight paganism? Why import a spiritual doctrine when you could just go back to your roots?

I might be able to help you out with 1.3 and certainly all of 2 and 3.2-3.4.

Whatever happened to just good ol straight paganism? Why import a spiritual doctrine when you could just go back to your roots?

If you could worship either the sun or the moon, which one would you choose and why?

*takes out a note pad and paper*

I live in Thailand and my wife is a pretty devoted Buddist. In general, it's even more retarded than Christianity.
The only plus is they don't really try to recruit more people.

If you could worship either the sun or the moon, which one would you choose and why?

*takes out a note pad and paper*
Moon. I'm a night person. Also the moon has an interesting effect on people. The sun doesn't bring out the beast in man. ;)

I tend to not listen seriously to folks who use terms like "exquisite truth" "divine substance" or "Lotus sutra". That is, except when I'm horny.

I might be able to help you out with 1.3 and certainly all of 2 and 3.2-3.4.

Thats+pretty+deep+bro+gtmfw+reading+this+_6cebccbb3de5c485a4c2a4bccc8687fa.gif

I’m a mutt, raised with Judaism, Catholicism and Buddhism all in my family. I chose Buddhism at a young age (preteen) and have studied it as a layman along with one collegiate elective course.

You laid out a pretty broad topic... any specific questions?

I’m a mutt, raised with Judaism, Catholicism and Buddhism all in my family. I chose Buddhism at a young age (preteen) and have studied it as a layman along with one collegiate elective course.

You laid out a pretty broad topic... any specific questions?

Have you ever heard Buddhism referred to as a Hindu heresy?

Can you be Buddhist and believe in "the supernatural" meaning a nature/supernature dualism of some sort?

Is "peasant Buddhism" true Buddhism? Less educated classes in any thought system/religion tend to "animize" (as in animism) things resulting in some kind of syncretism.

Can you be Buddhist and be a theist?

Have you ever heard Buddhism referred to as a Hindu heresy?

Can you be Buddhist and believe in "the supernatural" meaning a nature/supernature dualism of some sort?

Is "peasant Buddhism" true Buddhism? Less educated classes in any thought system/religion tend to "animize" (as in animism) things resulting in some kind of syncretism.

Can you be Buddhist and be a theist?

Yes to all, IMO. Again, Buddhism is broad with many different interpretations. I’m personally not in the business of deciding who is or is not a “true Buddhist” but I myself am not a true theist nor am I into animism or the supernatural.

You've obviously never smelled napalm in the morning.
But you generally have access to see the moon more than the smell of napalm. But in the absence of the moon, yes ofcourse napalm would be acceptible substitute.

No reason to adhere to one. They make for some decent reading, take what you like, ignore the rest.

Not trying to derail the thread but i find hinduism super weird and down right bizarre.

Take for example how so many of them worship dicks.

I had a Sikh guy tell me this before but didnt believe until i looked it up:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingam

All demigods and rishis went to Brahma, the creator of the world. He got to know what had happened and, together with everyone, reached Shiva. Everyone started pleading with him and praying: ‘Please, take your penis back, it is destroying the world!’

Shiva was appeased by all these prayers and agreed, but with one condition: ‘Only if you start worshipping my penis, will I take it back!’
http://www.jaisiyaram.com/blog/reli...of-a-penis-started-in-hinduism-17-feb-15.html

[<dunn]

Yes to all, IMO. Again, Buddhism is broad with many different interpretations. I’m personally not in the business of deciding who is or is not a “true Buddhist” but I myself am not a true theist nor am I into animism or the supernatural.

Why is Buddhism hindu heresy?

Also isnt Hinduism just South asian mythology/nature worship similar to greek, and Norse, with a whole pantheon of gods each controlling some element of the natural world?

Raised with a Japanese mother and Eastern European father....

My entire family can't stop laughing at Birkenstock wearing granola munchers being "Buddhist" while doing their yoga.

Back