Any updates on Minakov?

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
Just turned 32 years old this month but at heavyweight that's kinda young.

He was stripped 10 months ago, is it a deal where he has to go a year after being stripped to be a free agent?

Coker mentioned ina recent interview that "they are still dancing with minakov" guess they are still trying to work something out.

Should have just fought out his Bellator contract, instead of holding out. He likely would have been a free agent by now. Poor management, imo.

According to a recent interview he's negotiating with Bellator. My Russian is not good and the auto translation sucks so don't expect a lot of details. lol He complained about making less money than the fighters he beat when he fought championship fights and said he wants to renegotiate his contract for less fights so he can move forward. He would like to join the UFC if possible.

He's scheduled to fight DJ Linderman, Feb 23rd in Russia. FightNights

Some hype...

He's looking great. Fucking waste, this pisses me off!

source
https://vk.com/wall-40058887_9028

His bro made his MMA debut as a LHW last year and fought some other dude recently. I'm not impressed but he can get better.

Don't know, but I hope something gets worked out soon. I'm getting tired of watching him fight journeymen in EFN.

I like how people let Minakov get away with blatantly holding up the Bellator Heavyweight division for years but are more than willing to give Cain Velasquez shit for getting injured.

Waste of talent.

No, Bellator's champions clause has a definite end. Otherwise, Brooks wouldn't have been able to leave as champ.

They voluntarily let him go.
In the case of lightweight champ Brooks, who’s ranked No. 11 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings, Coker said the promotion has elected to terminate the fighter’s deal and waive all negotiation rights so that “Ill Will” can pursue his free-agency options.

“It was very simple,” Coker told MMAjunkie. “Will Brooks’ contract is ending, and we made a decision not to renew it. We’re going to give him a full release, so we’re not going to be in the Will Brooks business any longer.”

Hopefully he can get out of his Bellator deal soon which is what he's wanted for last year so he can come to UFC. HW div could use him.

Once Bellator stripped him they should have just released him.

Would be weird to see him sit out three years, get stripped of the title only to come back. Maybe it would be like an Eddie and Rampage thing where he comes back for one or two fights and then is free to leave.

Come back and beat Meathead and Lashley or Kongo since i assume he wont fight Fedor, then be free to go to UFC?

Cause at this point he's not fighting anyone good in Russia so his career is really being wasted. Even if he went back to Bellator full time it would be better than what he's doing now.

Last edited:
I like how people let Minakov get away with blatantly holding up the Bellator Heavyweight division for years but are more than willing to give Cain Velasquez shit for getting injured.

Waste of talent.
I think I posted it here some time ago -- Minakov said that he was surprised that it took it so long for Bellator to strip him of his title.
And I just remembered Ruslan Magomedov was signed by Bellator years ago but he decided not to fight for them when they signed Minakov (they were teammates and also shared the same manager). And I think his contract expired in two years and he signed with the UFC. So Minakov is not the first guy from this team/manager who decided not to fight for Bellator while being signed.

He will fighting TJ Linderman in Fight Nights Global 59

davalos-twins-mariana-maxim-mexico-326041.6.jpg

Fight Nights Global 59:
Khimki, Russia
UFC Fight Pass
Feb. 23, 2017 10:00 AM

Vitaly Minakov vs. TJ Linderman

Ahkmet Aliev vs. Efrain Escudero

Aleksander Yanishev vs. Thomas Deak

He will fighting TJ Linderman in Fight Nights Global 59

Oh wow that is crazy. Glad I asked as I had no idea. Thanks for posting, will have to give it a watch and see what kind of shape he is in.

They voluntarily let him go.

Bellator "voluntarily" let him go because he had only one fight left on his contract, and he rejected their offers for a new contract. In other words, Bellator did not have him locked up indefinitely just because he was champion -- his contract was coming to an end, despite the champions clause.

I think I posted it here some time ago -- Minakov said that he was surprised that it took it so long for Bellator to strip him of his title.
And I just remembered Ruslan Magomedov was signed by Bellator years ago but he decided not to fight for them when they signed Minakov (they were teammates and also shared the same manager). And I think his contract expired in two years and he signed with the UFC. So Minakov is not the first guy from this team/manager who decided not to fight for Bellator while being signed.

They should fire that manager

They should fire that manager
I think he is also founder of Fight Nights promotion and owns gyms related to FN. And Minakov is kinda like a head of this gym in Bryansk.

davalos-twins-mariana-maxim-mexico-326041.6.jpg

Fight Nights Global 59:
Khimki, Russia
UFC Fight Pass
Feb. 23, 2017 10:00 AM

Vitaly Minakov vs. TJ Linderman

Ahkmet Aliev vs. Efrain Escudero

Aleksander Yanishev vs. Thomas Deak

I don't know what that chick has to do with EFN...

...I also don't care.

{<tongue}

Bellator "voluntarily" let him go because he had only one fight left on his contract, and he rejected their offers for a new contract. In other words, Bellator did not have him locked up indefinitely just because he was champion

source?

Back