any update on ben askren next fight?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I thought he was supposed to defend his belt on december 17th, but i cant find any info.

I thought he was supposed to defend his belt on december 17th, but i cant find any info.

That's my biggest problem with the current asian MMA orgs. They really like making it difficult fpr you to find out wtf is going on.

Prime examples: ONE FC having basically identical names on all their events and not much international marketing or even infomation.

Rizin has the same problem, it's really hard to watch it if you don't have spike tv and almost all info is in japanese.

<{boneytears}>

He was suppose to fight at the event on December 17th but someone died and the cancelled the event as a result.

Now they dont have a big show until like April so it looks like he is going to get screwed over because they cant afford his salary at the smaller shows.

That's my biggest problem with the current asian MMA orgs. They really like making it difficult fpr you to find out wtf is going on.

Prime examples: ONE FC having basically identical names on all their events and not much international marketing or even infomation.

Rizin has the same problem, it's really hard to watch it if you don't have spike tv and almost all info is in japanese.

<{boneytears}>
Rizin's last show was a free internet stream with English commentary. All their pressers have a English translator on their Facebook page which is in all English.

He would have been better off going to WSOF, would have had Palhares, SHields and Fitch to fight, probably would have made decent money and been in the spotlight. Might have even worked things out and been in UFC by now.

Hope he made good money from his OneFC fights.

He was suppose to fight at the event on December 17th but someone died and the cancelled the event as a result.

Now they dont have a big show until like April so it looks like he is going to get screwed over because they cant afford his salary at the smaller shows.
i think that someone was his career.

<{boneytears}>
Na, when it's near a one fc event but if u check the card to see who is fighting and see that it has no one in it. One fc is most likely to cancel the event like how they always do. One fc is kinda retarded lol

He's wasting his career. Shame, would love to see him fight the top WWs.
Him vs Maia.

Can't he sue for breach of contract? there has to be some stipulation on how many fights a year he gets. OneFC lets this guy rot on the shelf. If I were him I'd either sue or try to buy my way out of the contract. He needs to go back to Bellator since I see WSOF folding and some of those guys going to Bellator.

Can't he sue for breach of contract? there has to be some stipulation on how many fights a year he gets. OneFC lets this guy rot on the shelf. If I were him I'd either sue or try to buy my way out of the contract. He needs to go back to Bellator since I see WSOF folding and some of those guys going to Bellator.

I have heard it from a pretty decent source that they have paid him "shelf time money" which is enough to keep him happy and buy his silence from complaining.

It does suck as a fan though, i miss his fights.

yeah i kinda gave up on seeing funky ever take on solid comp. he seems content to get paid to sit out and fight in the c-levels. hey i cna'tfault the man for wanting easy money, just a shame his wrestling was never really tested.

Should've went to WSOF or fought independently in the UK, Russia, Poland, Japan, China, etc. Too bad Rizin wasn't around when he was looking for an org.

yeah i kinda gave up on seeing funky ever take on solid comp. he seems content to get paid to sit out and fight in the c-levels. hey i cna'tfault the man for wanting easy money, just a shame his wrestling was never really tested.

He was pretty much kicked out of the American MMA scene by Bjorn and Dana. I'm sure he'd love to fight in the UFC but they don't want him

akrens talent has been wasted so badly
Yeah. Such a shame too, back in '08 or whenever he was starting MMA, I remember he and DC were the most hyped prospects. Both are multiple org champs now and would both be undefeated had it not been for Jon Jones. I really think he coulda been champ tho, esp considering how legit the Bellator WW's have been revealed as since he left. It should be interesting to see how RoMac does against Lima and Koreshkov.

But with Askren getting older and less hungry, with WME being penny pinchers, I doubt we ever see him. And if we do, I doubt he ever fights for the title.

Yeah. Such a shame too, back in '08 or whenever he was starting MMA, I remember he and DC were the most hyped prospects. Both are multiple org champs now and would both be undefeated had it not been for Jon Jones. I really think he coulda been champ tho, esp considering how legit the Bellator WW's have been revealed as since he left. It should be interesting to see how RoMac does against Lima and Koreshkov.

But with Askren getting older and less hungry, with WME being penny pinchers, I doubt we ever see him. And if we do, I doubt he ever fights for the title.

Plus, I doubt he would fight his teammate in Woodley

Should've went to WSOF or fought independently in the UK, Russia, Poland, Japan, China, etc. Too bad Rizin wasn't around when he was looking for an org.

Askren took the best deal he could get by far. If he lost once he'd take 5 steps back fighting independently on the MMA scene.

I believe he was making like 100K a fight from One FC when he first signed and it had escalators in it with each win. Then after his second fight I believe he reworked that deal and I'm guess he got more. I doubt a lot more but he had to get something out of it. Plus he has a deal with Evolve gym over there and rumors pegged that at very high number for the little bit involvement he has with them(something like 50K or 100K a year was rumored). I'm not sure that deal is the same today as it was then. But he made it clear on the MMA Hour that his OneFC deal he'll make over million dollars on it which I believe was over six fights. Then he extended it with the new contract and I think earlier this year he said he had six fights left and might retire after that. So chances are between One FC and Evolve he'll make a good 1.5 million to 2 million dollars. Not to bad when he knows there is little risk of losing most times out. Plus he makes money working for Duke, doing wrestling seminars around the country, training partners for other fighters, wrestling clinics, and whatever other appearance fees he get around the world. He has stated many times he lives a very low cost lifestyle and chances are high the money he makes outside the cage easily covers it. Plus he has always said he has been saving for his future for years. Enough that he feels like he could retire after this ONE FC contract and be fine for most of his life.

All that is hard to turn down when the you weigh the risk.

P.S.: I honestly believe by listening to his interviews he thought he'd burn through the first contract of six fights in 2 years max and at that time he could see what he could get out of the UFC. Then he found out about championship clause slapped in there and he redid his contract. Maybe got more pay or maybe negotiated a way out after a certain number of title defenses. Which might be part of the reason why they are very slow at getting him fights. I still think there is chance we see him in the UFC before its all said and done.

He could of went to the ufc but Dana didn't want him. But when askren started to finish his fight. Dana then changed his mind and said he's interested in askren. It was to late alrdy since askren has his one fc contract and said fk Dana bitchass white.

Back