Any tips on how to build push-up and pull-up strength?

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
Quick story of my life:

Used to compete in Muay Thai for the past 4-5 years, prior to that I was powerlifting from age 17-19, started off struggling with 65lbs on the bench press, build my RM to 225lbs bench, 315lbs squat and 405lbs deadlift. Left the powerlifting once I started competing. I recently had a motorbike accident and snapped my color bone in half, which required surgery. All in all, I was physically inactive for about 5 months. I just recently (3 weeks ago) start lifting again after "retiring" from competitive fighting. I weighed myself and I gained 35lbs (damn son). I've always been fascinated with gymnastics and calisthenics since forever and I always wanted to jump seriously into it, now is the time. I was shocked when I grabbed the bar and tried to do a pull up......... I legit couldn't do one. I then tried to do a max set on push-ups and barely hit 15 reps. In my prime physical form when I was competing, I was walking at around 168lbs and was banging out 15reps on the pull-up bar with ease and 25reps on push-ups felt like a coffee break. I'm not discouraged, I weirdly actually like it, I got a bunch of goals I want to accomplish and in 3 weeks I already added 50lbs to my squat and deadlift. I'm currently on a Calithenics and Powerlifting split:

Mon- Squat
Tues- Pull-Up
Wed- Push-Up
Thurs- Deadlift
Fri- Pull-Up
Sat- Push-Up

Is anyone here into Calisthenics? Can anyone share what worked for them? I've done a lot of research I know about the grease the groove method and doing negative pull-ups..etc..etc. I'm just wondering if anyone can share how they improved their push-up and pull-up strength. Every workout I do ends with 4-5 core exercises. Thank you in advance.

There's definitely a plateau at some point. Most I've done is 16 chin ups at 210lbs and BW+80lbs for 5 reps so I'm not quite in ''elite'' territory yet.

I would say what works best is high volume and high frequency. Ex: trying to hit 50 chin ups (overall) a day 5 days a week. Once you've built a solid base, add weight. Then work on a 1 arm chin.

You can already do 15 push ups so I’d probably start working on bench press (and add in an overhead press). If you can only do the negative portion on chins then start with lat pull downs (wide, medium and narrow grip) until you are strong enough to perform a couple chin ups. I like doing sets of 5 dead hang chins (at least 10 sets per back workout. Then you can start adding weight).

weighted push ups is a good exercise btw

There's definitely a plateau at some point. Most I've done is 16 chin ups at 210lbs and BW+80lbs for 5 reps so I'm not quite in ''elite'' territory yet.

I would say what works best is high volume and high frequency. Ex: trying to hit 50 chin ups (overall) a day 5 days a week. Once you've built a solid base, add weight. Then work on a 1 arm chin.

High volume and high frequency is a great start, but you really should add in some weighed pullups too. Something like 3 sets of 10 with weight. Increase weight every week. I take 70% of my max and do weighed pullups, and that's what brought me from doing 16 to doing 26.

Got to give a shoutout to the Recon Ron Pullup Program:

http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

Did a version of this back when I had just got to the fleet in the Marines. Just integrate the above rep-scheme into your other workouts, or otherwise perform 6 days a week.
Does that chart mean Week 1 perform 6 pull ups each day for 4 days. Week 2 perform 7 pull ups each day for 4 days. Week 3 perform 8 pull ups each day for 4 days and so on. ??

Does that chart mean Week 1 perform 6 pull ups each day for 4 days. Week 2 perform 7 pull ups each day for 4 days. Week 3 perform 8 pull ups each day for 4 days and so on. ??

The workout is supposed to be performed six days per week. I suppose you could get by with five times per week if it's too much. But the goal is volume.

Ever workout is just 5 quick sets. So week one is five sets of 6-5-5-4-3, performed once per day, six days per week. Week 10 would be five sets of 10-9-7-7-7.

The workout is supposed to be performed six days per week. I suppose you could get by with five times per week if it's too much. But the goal is volume.

Ever workout is just 5 quick sets. So week one is five sets of 6-5-5-4-3, performed once per day, six days per week. Week 10 would be five sets of 10-9-7-7-7.
Ok thank you. I would probably need to use my band for assistance. How much rest between sets? 1 min?

Ok thank you. I would probably need to use my band for assistance. How much rest between sets? 1 min?

No real set time. A minute would be good if you can manage that. I think the key should be just hitting the reps. If you need to take a bit longer to make sure you make it, I'd go that way.

I do a lot of pushups. Will pull ups help even out my body and increase my overall strength?

Back