any tips for making Saulo's scissor sweep work? (vid)

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

I've been trying to go back to basics and have been having some success with various scissor sweep tricks, but this one eludes me. I can't keep their weight forward. I don't know how Saulo does it, he doesn't even have a hand in the guy's collar.

They're beating me with posture.

Going 2 on 1 instead of just the cross grip helps immensely.

Nothing wrong with the classic grips either.

Scissor sweeps are really hard to pull off athigher belts and lvls. Imho thebflower sweep is a better alternative. Im just saying this so youbdont get discouraged, but its one of the harder sweeps to pull off.

This sweep works with collar sleeve as well. AOJ teaches it, Caio teaches it as well. Caio says it's one that works better at lower levels although I have hit it on a black belt.

Rafa had a tip that I like when using it from collar sleeve. He says that you think of using five things - pull collar, kick leg, push leg, pull arm, and pull with back. That is, you are opening up your chest as you hit this sweep. The back extension makes the sweep very strong.

I think the way Saulo is showing it here is probably not realistic against good people, only because you don't have enough control to force their weight forward. I think if you have the 2-1 or the collar grip it would work fine since you could break balance forward and keep them there.

I think the way Saulo is showing it here is probably not realistic against good people, only because you don't have enough control to force their weight forward. I think if you have the 2-1 or the collar grip it would work fine since you could break balance forward and keep them there.
Agreed. This variation is horseshit imo.

Stick to collar sleeve.

Agreed. This variation is horseshit imo.

Stick to collar sleeve.

I hesitate to say that about something someone as accomplished as Saulo is showing, but I think he has a tendency sometimes to show variations that demonstrate principles as if they're viable competition moves. That's not always the case, what works in an idealized situation is not worth putting time into if there's an equally available, simpler variation that works more often. Anytime you're not using one hand for no reason, that's a pretty good sign that what you're looking at is an inferior version of that move.

I hesitate to say that about something someone as accomplished as Saulo is showing, but I think he has a tendency sometimes to show variations that demonstrate principles as if they're viable competition moves. That's not always the case, what works in an idealized situation is not worth putting time into if there's an equally available, simpler variation that works more often. Anytime you're not using one hand for no reason, that's a pretty good sign that what you're looking at is an inferior version of that move.
Legit grapplers showing garbage technique:

lol at 1:30.

Has saulo ever hit this sweep in his many competitions.with consistency?

Has saulo ever hit this sweep in his many competitions.with consistency?

I don't think so. He mostly took people down and played on top when he was competing.

Back