Any Thais teaching Muay Thai in San Diego?

Paradigm

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Asking for a friend...trying to find him a gym teaching traditional MT with a Thai from Thailand that has stadium fight experience.

My instructor couldn't name any and it seems like the only decent option down there is Melchor Menor. No idea who Kru Mark is but all I can figure out is that he's the son of some Thai general.

Told him to go train with Jongsanan or Ganyao when he was up in the Bay, but of course he finally wanted to do MT after he moved to an area with no Thais.

Any suggestions?

Sorry I don't have a suggestion, but I found the question interesting. Can you let me in on as to why it is important to learn traditional MT from a Thai as opposed to traditional MT from a non-Thai?

Sorry I don't have a suggestion, but I found the question interesting. Can you let me in on as to why it is important to learn traditional MT from a Thai as opposed to traditional MT from a non-Thai?

Would you rather learn a language from a native speaker who grew up practicing and using it every day of their lives, or from someone who likely learned it as a young adult and has a questionable (or less proven) grasp on that language in comparison? At least that's how I look at it.

Very few former Thai fighters who teach in the US teach Muay Thai the same way they learned.

Like you said he missed out when he was in the Bay Area. Jongsanan, Ganyao, Bunkerd, Neungsiam, and probably more I'm unaware of.

Very few former Thai fighters who teach in the US teach Muay Thai the same way they learned.

This is one of the biggest issues I have with american Muay Thai and its a real shame. I understand financially they can't run gyms like the ones in Thailand but damn what a bummer.

Very true.

I really lucked out finding my newest trainer about 7 months ago. He was working as a prep chef at my favorite thai restaurant, wearing a muay thai shirt and we hit it off. He's the best trainer ive had outside of thailand.

He trains very traditional, Thai style. Like TS, I would prefer to train under Thais, mostly because they typically have a TON of experience.

Would you rather learn a language from a native speaker who grew up practicing and using it every day of their lives, or from someone who likely learned it as a young adult and has a questionable (or less proven) grasp on that language in comparison? At least that's how I look at it.

Yea I was wondering if there was a reason beyond this obvious analogy when I read the word "traditional." For example, what advantage is there to training under a "traditional" Muay Thai coach from Thailand and training under an accomplished Muay Thai coach from another country.

How come? What sort of things do they change?

I've been training at Melchor's gym for almost a year now and it is definitely legit. I'm not really sure what being Thai has to do with it. Skill is skill, and doesn't discriminate.

Yea I was wondering if there was a reason beyond this obvious analogy when I read the word "traditional." For example, what advantage is there to training under a "traditional" Muay Thai coach from Thailand and training under an accomplished Muay Thai coach from another country.

In thailand training is done one on one with a trainer. In the US it's very difficult to have an instructor to hold pads for every student, so students hold for each other mostly doing preset combos. A solution for this is to pay for private training.

I included the word "traditional" because I didn't want recommendations for some guy teaching "MT for MMA." I don't need my friend to become an expert at the wai kru anything but I'd like for him to get the real deal.

One of the main things I value when learning is avoiding diluted knowledge and going to the source as much as possible (money being no object). If I wanted to learn Sambo, I'd find a Russian Sambo expert here in LA or go to Gokor's gym, not seek out some American dude who trained in Russia for a few years.

Muay Thai in the US is watered down already compared to what you get in Thailand...you can't even use elbows in competition in some states. It's much easier to find a legit BJJ coach (or instructors for many other combat sports) in the US compared to MT. Not everyone with MT shorts on is a legit instructor and you'll find a lot of schools teaching "Muay Thai" when what they're really teaching is kickboxing.

These guys have been living and breathing the sport since they were children. It is highly doubtful that you'll find someone with a better knowledge of their sport than them. Many MT schools teach rudimentary clinch, if at all.

On top of that, the state of Muay Thai in the US is crap compared to other countries like Australia, France, etc. Who are our greatest MT fighters and what have they done at the highest level? I'd probably say Kevin Ross but I'm not really up on the current US MT scene as a whole.

This. There is no one with better knowledge of Muay Thai in the world than Thais...it's their national sport, after all. You can find guys with a better grasp of English to convey but it would be like learning (Brazilian) Portuguese from a lifelong Brazilian vs an American ex-pat that lived in Brazil for 10 years. The American may be able to explain certain things better due to speaking English better but the Brazilian will have nuances and experiences the American will never be able to provide.

The thing about MT also is that you don't need to speak English very well to teach it necessarily...the student and the teacher just both need to speak "Muay Thai."

While that's true, what do you suggest instead? I guess I could send him to the cardio kickboxing classes at 24 Hour Fitness, since he'll never be a pro fighter anyway but that's besides the point.

That's really not the fault of the Thais here...more the demographic of student they're dealing with. Fact of the matter is that most Americans are physically lazy and a gym that has the same training regimen as at a camp in Thailand will be out of business fast. I wish we had professional padholders like in Thailand but we don't.

Who can teach the clinch in MT better than Thais?

I've been training at Melchor's gym for almost a year now and it is definitely legit. I'm not really sure what being Thai has to do with it. Skill is skill, and doesn't discriminate.

I never said that Menor wasn't legit and that's probably the place he'll end up at but to ignore or gloss over the fact that the Thais know more about their own sport than he does makes me question how much you know about the sport itself.

Who is his biggest win in MT? Muay Thai, not K-1 or kickboxing.

In thailand training is done one on one with a trainer. In the US it's very difficult to have an instructor to hold pads for every student, so students hold for each other mostly doing preset combos. A solution for this is to pay for private training.

That's part of the problem here. I wish more schools emphasized padholding as a skill, since you'll be holding pads for other students frequently. I try to give the people I'm holding pads for good rounds but a lot of people really have no idea how to hold pads at all. A good round with a decent holder should at least somewhat simulate a round in a fight.

Its an old thread but bump maybe someone can chime in on this.i csnt find anyone

Blue Ocean Muay Thai: 8990 Miramar Rd #225, San Diego, CA 92126 (858) 549-1226
Kru Alex Palma (not a Thai)

Kru Palma: "I started training in San Francisco when I was eight. When I turned 23 I started to compete across Europe in both the “B class” and “A class” divisons. I was really active on the circuit for close to 12 years before I came back to the US and started coaching fighters in 2003."

May not be what you are looking for, but I'll let you and your friend be the judge of that. This is where Tiffany Van Soest trains. Cheers.

Jongsanan, Ganyao, Bunkerd, Neungsiam, and probably more I'm unaware of.
goldenslot บนมือถือ

Not sure if you realize the distance between San Francisco and SAN DIEGO.

Man I miss those guys so much. Oh the old Fairtex..

But there are a few Thais running gyms in Los Angeles

Less these days. Pong still has his gym...not sure if Puk or Nokweed are still teaching. Lerdsila, BM and Kronphet are gone and Santi seems to have a bad back so not sure how active he is anymore.

Very true.

I really lucked out finding my newest trainer about 7 months ago. He was working as a prep chef at my favorite thai restaurant, wearing a muay thai shirt and we hit it off. He's the best trainer ive had outside of thailand.

He trains very traditional, Thai style. Like TS, I would prefer to train under Thais, mostly because they typically have a TON of experience.

where are you located?

Asking for a friend...trying to find him a gym teaching traditional MT with a Thai from Thailand that has stadium fight experience.

My instructor couldn't name any and it seems like the only decent option down there is Melchor Menor. No idea who Kru Mark is but all I can figure out is that he's the son of some Thai general.

Told him to go train with Jongsanan or Ganyao when he was up in the Bay, but of course he finally wanted to do MT after he moved to an area with no Thais.

Any suggestions?

this is the problem in the US

yo paradigm, my friend also recently moved to the SD area. Alexander Palma and blue ocean muay thai seem to be good placed.

as for the rest of the thais mentioned down that way, other than melchor, i didnt know they were in SD.

Back