Any Tang Soo Do Strikers???

"Sensei" is the same as "seonsaengnim" (선생님), no? Just literally teacher?

어디 한국말 배었어요? 교보 입니까?

gyo-bo? that's a word i don't kno

but i am korean so i guess i learned it from my mama

gyo-bo? that's a word i don't kno

but i am korean so i guess i learned it from my mama

교보 - 한국인 한국 벆에 대오났어요. (My spelling is probably terrible, might be best to read it out loud. I thought gyobo was a pretty well-known term...)

gyo Po with the P sound
but no i was actually born there
but moved here fairly young
how do you speak/read/write?

gyo Po with the P sound
but no i was actually born there
but moved here fairly young
how do you speak/read/write?

Eh, I said my spelling was terrible - 교포? 책를 배었어면 진짜 싫어해 다른 사람에 의존하는. The grammar's easy enough but remembering all the different vocab is difficult - so many of the same syllables are used in different contexts. Good to make the effort though, hardly anyone bothers.

So what makes it different then karate other then it being korean????

I mean in terms of moves and technqieus and etc... Does tang soo do have grappling???

theres a little bit of a difference they added some stuff etc etc but its strongly okinawan karate
and yes it does( like most asian arts) have some grappling in it

you would at least know how ot do a few chokes, armbars, etcetc

theres a little bit of a difference they added some stuff etc etc but its strongly okinawan karate
and yes it does( like most asian arts) have some grappling in it

you would at least know how ot do a few chokes, armbars, etcetc

It's gonna depend on the dojang as to how much grappling you'll learn and how effective it will be, just like with karate.

A training partner of mine in college was a TSD BB, whereas my base is a Shotokan offshoot. We did the same basic katas, although they were slightly different. When we were sparring, he had some good kicks, but his hand work left some to be desired, although he was good at getting to angles. He had some beginner grappling skill, but that was mostly due to a book on BJJ his parents got him and not anything from TSD.

my daughter trains at a tang soo do school. while the forms can be kind of useless, they use them more to teach discipline and concentration. her school point spars often, and teaches a little joint manipulation to the higher belts as well as free sparring. the older/higher belts also get some "real world"training. we went and watched 4 classes before signing her up, as i didn't want her in some black belt factory.

i think, like anything else, you take what you can from it. for her, being 6 years old, aside from the concentration and discipline thing, she's learning to be comfortable with people throwing punches and kicks at her through sparring, and no matter how many times i tried to show her, she didn't throw a proper punch till she went to the classes, (i guess she values thier word more than mine.) they have also taught her to throw a crisp kick.

she can always move on to something else later, but TSD should give her a good base

Tang Soo Do is a Korean variation of karate that stems from Okinawan roots and has since changed a few things to make it a unique art. The hyungs (forms) are very similar to those of shotokan and other traditional karate disciplines. Tang Soo Do is different in focus from TKD in that it is slightly more self-defense oriented and less competition oriented although this varies from dojang to dojang. Does is translate to MMA? Not particularly, but it can give you a good arsenal if you take it past the black-belt level and learn to adapt. Those who just sign up for classes and expect to learn to be great "real-life" combat strikers right away are not being realistic.

Grappling is not formally part of TSD curriculum although many traditional dojangs/dojos are covering the basics since the demand is so high. My background in TSD is what made me want to learn the grappling game, since most "real-life" encounters end up on the ground.

i used to take tang soo do and you're right it is korean, i have since moved on to Muay Thai as my main form of striking however

I achieved a 3rd Degree Black Belt in it. I discovered their wasn't much more that I had a desire to achieve. I then moved on to BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA.

Lots of memorization and perfection of movements

"Sensei"? Sacrilege! Don't let any Korean instructors hear you call them that. Try "sabunim" (사부님) or "gwanjangnim" (관장님). You're welcome.

사부 is a deprecated spelling/term in South Korea. The modern usage is 사범.

관장 can have different connotations. In general usage, a 관장 is the person in charge of the 관, whether it be a 체육관 or a 여관.

In a Korean martial arts context, 관 can mean the physical building/location but it can also mean the organization/institution or association. The latter definition is easier to understand if you think of it as "the house of ..." If you know Japanese institutions, Kwan is analogous to Kan. For example, the Kodo-kan and the Shoto-kan, which can be used to refer to a style, an organization and the physical building itself.

In general, the kwanjang is the head of the school, assuming the school has multiple sabums. It is a more fluid title in usage. For example, I might formally refer to people junior to me as such-and-such sabum but would not refer to a kwanjang who is junior or a peer to me as such-and-such kwanjang, unless I was specifically addressing his juniors.

My base is in Soo Bahk Do, a very similar (if not the same) art as Tang Soo Do. I just started my MMA training recently and so far it's been quite useful as far as having a basic stand-up arsenal. My instructor encourages cross-training so I chose MMA.

What I'm learning the most from MMA is of course grappling but also readjusting my stand-up game. I've been able to handle myself pretty well sparring against the more seasoned fighters in my gym, though I still get banged the hell out of on the ground and with takedowns. Lot to learn in those aspects.

It really depends on your original intent and motivation when you start training in traditional martial arts.

i used to take tang soo do and you're right it is korean, i have since moved on to Muay Thai as my main form of striking however
Then you are a fool. Tang So is far more effective and practical in a real fight. MMA is a sport. No different than gymnastics really

I did Tang Soo Do a few years ago. While having my black belt in it, I do not recommend it to people. Just a lot of forms and memorizing Korean words (at least in my dojo it was).

Idiot -- is memorizing words too much for your pea brain?

Dude, you always have something funny to say. :icon_chee

My dad is a Tang soo do guy and he tried finding a TSG studio for me back in 1986 or 87 but there were none in our area so I ended up to TKD. I think both arts are awful. 110 % มวยไทย now!! :D

Are they awful or are you too weak? HMMMM

Nice necro, bro.

giphy.gif

I did tang soo do and it gave me good kicking dexterity, flexibility,a strong round house, a great front kick to the chin , piercing body kick, a good straight left, and some hip throws/trips. I learned the jabs on my own and didnt learn how to throw a proper cross until I did some boxing. My teacher was korean and he was great. We did alot of conditioning and sparring.The only only thing i regret is that it was instilled in me to hold back against people when fighting in the streets. There are times when you need to go ape shit on a dude. On the other hand when I started muay thai my kru said I was a natural so it was not for nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back