Any Tang Soo Do Strikers???

OneCrazymofo**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am wondering what is this tang soo do??

To me it sounds like a korean karate??

Any practioner that uses tang soo do in there boxing/kickboxing???

You mean Tang so dericious?

tang.jpg

i used to take tang soo do and you're right it is korean, i have since moved on to Muay Thai as my main form of striking however

I did Tang Soo Do for about 7 yrs or so. Black Belt when I was young.

It is a Korean martial art, and is useless.
Seriously. Don't waste time or money on it.

I did Tang Soo Do a few years ago. While having my black belt in it, I do not recommend it to people. Just a lot of forms and memorizing Korean words (at least in my dojo it was).

I'm sorry, I thought Tang Soo Do was like "street" taekwondo.

my roommate is a tang su do BB and he's not a bad striker. He kicks with the ball of his foot though, as opposed to his shin.

It's good. It was Chuck Norris' original martial art. I trained in Chuck's martial art as a teenager, and it had a lot of Tang Soo Do in it. The guys in my club were good fighters.

I mean its not a awful first art, but like the other poster said they teach you to kick with the ball of the foot. I just started mma training and its somewhat hard to integrate the kicks and form into mma. As a starting art it has it capabilities with a good sensei. Teaches discipline and respect for other arts as well.

You mean Tang so dericious?

tang.jpg

Dude, you always have something funny to say. :icon_chee

My dad is a Tang soo do guy and he tried finding a TSG studio for me back in 1986 or 87 but there were none in our area so I ended up to TKD. I think both arts are awful. 110 % มวยไทย now!! :D

did you guys ever stop and think the people who taught you just ducked at tang soo do?

yes its the korean brand of karate op

did you guys ever stop and think the people who taught you just ducked at tang soo do?

yes its the korean brand of karate op

So what makes it different then karate other then it being korean????

I mean in terms of moves and technqieus and etc... Does tang soo do have grappling???

Why waste time thinking if TSD is right for you? Go check out a class and see for yourself. See if they studio close to you offers a free intro class. If you put the gi on and you feel cheesy during you intro, just leave. No sweat off your back and no $$$ out of your pocket.

TSD has no grappiling. Crappling maybe but no grappling. It's pretty much karate.

I mean its not a awful first art, but like the other poster said they teach you to kick with the ball of the foot. I just started mma training and its somewhat hard to integrate the kicks and form into mma. As a starting art it has it capabilities with a good sensei. Teaches discipline and respect for other arts as well.

"Sensei"? Sacrilege! Don't let any Korean instructors hear you call them that. Try "sabunim" (사부님) or "gwanjangnim" (관장님). You're welcome.

"Sensei"? Sacrilege! Don't let any Korean instructors hear you call them that. Try "sabunim" (사부님) or "gwanjangnim" (관장님). You're welcome.

You must have trained in every Korean art known to man or you are North Korean. JK. :icon_chee

You must have trained in every Korean art known to man or you are North Korean. JK. :icon_chee

Decadent pig! We will turn California into a lake of fire.

Er, the way I've had it explained to me is that "sabunim" means "master" - so if someone is training you out in the forest or something (you can see that "sabu" it comes from the same Chinese characters as a wu shu "sifu"). A "gwanjangnim" is the owner of a training centre/gym ("gwanjang"). Titles are very important here, so I've learnt this kind of stuff as a priority. (Someone tore a strip off me once because I addressed him as "section head" rather than "department head". Boy was my face red!)

Er, the way I've had it explained to me is that "sabunim" means "master" - so if someone is training you out in the forest or something (you can see that "sabu" it comes from the same Chinese characters as a wu shu "sifu"). A "gwanjangnim" is the owner of a training centre/gym ("gwanjang"). Titles are very important here, so I've learnt this kind of stuff as a priority. (Someone tore a strip off me once because I addressed him as "section head" rather than "department head". Boy was my face red!)

Thanks for the info. See people, you can learn many great things here on the forums of Sherdog. Just don't go to the MMA side. :D

as a fluent korean speaker i can confirm this
sabunim means master in a sense that one's a teacher, tho it's a slight variation of the way you say 'teacher' in a regular sense
gwanjangnim means the owner of the gwan (the place)

sensei's japanese way of saying 'teacher' similar (or identical, even) meaning to sabunim
but it's japanese...so you'll get slapped

as a fluent korean speaker i can confirm this
sabunim means master in a sense that one's a teacher, tho it's a slight variation of the way you say 'teacher' in a regular sense
gwanjangnim means the owner of the gwan (the place)

sensei's japanese way of saying 'teacher' similar (or identical, even) meaning to sabunim
but it's japanese...so you'll get slapped

"Sensei" is the same as "seonsaengnim" (선생님), no? Just literally teacher?

어디 한국말 배었어요? 교보 입니까?

Back