Any star wars fan not interested in seeing episode 9? **Poll**

Will you be seeing Episode 9 in theaters?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
haha. Goldie.

I still think you should watch it if only for the entertainment value you will provide us with here in ushering forth your thoughts on the film...

Not worth the damage. Though I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Did you see Solo? I liked it.

The Last Jedi pretty much killed my interest.

This 100x.

After TFA: “ok that wasn’t that great but we can work on it! Whose Rey?? Whose Snoke?? I can’t wait to see Luke!”

After TLJ: “Fuck everyone I hope their universe explodes and eliminates all of these worthless characters that i care nothing about”

This 100x.

After TFA: “ok that wasn’t that great but we can work on it! Whose Rey?? Whose Snoke?? I can’t wait to see Luke!”

After TLJ: “Fuck everyone I hope their universe explodes and eliminates all of these worthless characters that i care nothing about”

But TLJ 'subverted your expectations' !!!

Don't you feel thankful?

Look at how the old characters are treated with reverence in Creed or Bladerunner 2049, while still focusing on new protagonists.
Those two are really great recent examples. I've never been all that into to Rocky franchise, and I was still touched by how much love and respect Ryan Cooglar obviously had for the series and the characters.

Blade Runner invites comparisons to Star Wars even more than Creed due to being a sequel to a science fiction classic starring Harrison Ford. It's actually rather strange how Deckard's arc in 2049 is similar to Han Solo being a deadbeat dad and Luke going into self-exile, except the writers had the talent and the inclination to give it all some proper contextualization, a compelling / understandable reason for his exile, and a well-earned, satisfactory conclusion.

Those two are really great recent examples. I've never been all that into to Rocky franchise, and I was still touched by how much love and respect Ryan Cooglar obviously had for the series and the characters.

Blade Runner invites comparisons to Star Wars even more than Creed due to being a sequel to a science fiction classic starring Harrison Ford. It's actually rather strange how Deckard's arc in 2049 is similar to Han Solo being a deadbeat dad and Luke going into self-exile, except the writers had the talent and the inclination to give it all some proper contextualization, a compelling / understandable reason for his exile, and a well-earned, satisfactory conclusion.

Coogler is almost the exact opposite of Rian Johnson in this regard. Coogler set out to honor Apollo and Rocky, and the events of the previous films (all six of them in one way or another). Johnson just looked for ways to trample on Luke and the original trilogy.

Look at how much better Paulie was treated than Admiral Ackbar.

As of now, yes, he's dead.

Kathleen Kennedy fired the original Ep9 scriptwriter because he objected to Luke being killed off in Ep8. It effectively 'killed off' all of his ideas.

the force awakens was cool. i agree with TS though that the last jedi was a little meh. rogue one might be my favorite of all time.

Not worth the damage. Though I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Did you see Solo? I liked it.

Honestly, I may be overstating things here, but I thought it was awesome. To me, it was potentially better than all the other Disney Star Wars films thus far. While I thought Rogue One was really solid, I felt there were pacing issues and some draggy parts. Namely, the scene right before when Mendelssohn confronts Mads really just feels like it goes on forever and it's only five minutes (where Diego Luna and Riz Ahmed have to scale a mountain). It's a small gripe, but both times I watched it in the theater, I recall just feeling a lapse in momentum right around there. Overall, it was very well done and entertaining to me though. I liked the nostalgic fun of The Force Awakens.

But what was really cool to me about Solo was that it felt like it was paying homage to Star Wars while also telling a fresh story. I liked almost everything- Han's backstory with the sketchy Corelia planet and the wormlike crime lord, his joining the Empire and you getting a real sense of how the rank and file guys were just fighting for a cause they were not on board with, the introduction of Harrelsen and his team, the first meeting with Chewie, all the interaction between Han and Chewbacca, Chewbacca having a far bigger role than in TFA or TLJ, the train heist scene was awesome, Glover as Lando, etc. I dug Emilia's character too. There was a cool sense of ambiguity to her.

But I particularly thought Bettany killed it as far as supporting cast went. He really did a great job with that characterization- came across like an affable guy it'd be cool to have a beer and shoot the shit with, but who could turn with venomous vitriol on a dime. Good stuff.

Ehrenreich, who had a lot of people expecting the worse due to the whole acting coach talk, ended up doing a great job in my view. Really had the character down without trying to do some pale attempt to emulate/imitate Ford. There were nice references for fans of the franchise throughout too- like Glover repeatedly calling him Han (like hand) and Solo firing first just to put that whole Special Edition stupidity to rest.

I'm a bit bummed it did poorly because I think the TLJ backlash and franchise fatigue cost it when it actually deserved a wider audience.

rogue one might be my favorite of all time.

You're shitting me, right?

It was beautifully directed, and had one of the best final acts of any SW film ever, but the characters were paper-thin.

It took big balls to kill everybody off at the end, but none of the deaths had any weight behind them.

*Oh shit, that one dude died... what was his name? He looked kinda cool.*
- My exact thoughts on seven different ocassions.

That said, the two scenes of Darth Vader made my IMax ticket price worth it just to see them.

Coogler is almost the exact opposite of Rian Johnson in this regard. Coogler set out to honor Apollo and Rocky, and the events of the previous films (all six of them in one way or another). Johnson just looked for ways to trample on Luke and the original trilogy.

Look at how much better Paulie was treated than Admiral Ackbar.

Coogler is a boss. Yeah that was a key example of reverence for the series. The guy delivered an awesome film that has its own identity but also exists very organically within the Rocky franchise and honors those characters. Amped for the follow up. Even though Ryan not directing is obviously something to be concerned about. Still, I think the trailer looks like it is going to be in a similar vein.

As a huge fan of the original trilogy, meh on proper sendoffs. Those characters' stories were already told; they already had their exit stage left.

New blood! New characters! New worlds, new ideas, fresh, different.
It's a fucking galaxy, let's see more than a tiny speck of this huge place. Stop with the rebellion and empire and lightsabers and blah blah blah.

Enough with the trips down memory lane, time to create new memories instead of reference-spamming around a weak story.

No!!:mad:

Honestly, I may be overstating things here, but I thought it was awesome. To me, it was potentially better than all the other Disney Star Wars films thus far. While I thought Rogue One was really solid, I felt there were pacing issues and some draggy parts. Namely, the scene right before when Mendelssohn confronts Mads really just feels like it goes on forever and it's only five minutes (where Diego Luna and Riz Ahmed have to scale a mountain). It's a small gripe, but both times I watched it in the theater, I recall just feeling a lapse in momentum right around there. Overall, it was very well done and entertaining to me though. I liked the nostalgic fun of The Force Awakens.

But what was really cool to me about Solo was that it felt like it was paying homage to Star Wars while also telling a fresh story. I liked almost everything- Han's backstory with the sketchy Corelia planet and the wormlike crime lord, his joining the Empire and you getting a real sense of how the rank and file guys were just fighting for a cause they were not on board with, the introduction of Harrelsen and his team, the first meeting with Chewie, all the interaction between Han and Chewbacca, Chewbacca having a far bigger role than in TFA or TLJ, the train heist scene was awesome, Glover as Lando, etc. I dug Emilia's character too. There was a cool sense of ambiguity to her.

But I particularly thought Bettany killed it as far as supporting cast went. He really did a great job with that characterization- came across like an affable guy it'd be cool to have a beer and shoot the shit with, but who could turn with venomous vitriol on a dime. Good stuff.

I'm a bit bummed it did poorly because I think the TLJ backlash and franchise fatigue cost it when it actually deserved a wider audience.

giphy.gif

Same here, loved it. I rambled more in the Solo thread, but in short, yeah, it actually felt like Star Wars. Tapped into that magic a few times. Which most of the recent stuff has been missing entirely. I only like Rogue One and Solo out of all the new shit.

giphy.gif

Same here, loved it. I rambled more in the Solo thread, but in short, yeah, it actually felt like Star Wars. Tapped into that magic a few times. Which most of the recent stuff has been missing entirely. I only like Rogue One and Solo out of all the new shit.
Solo is almost a cringe and bore fest but it managed to pull thru.

You're shitting me, right?

It was beautifully directed, and had one of the best final acts of any SW film ever, but the characters were paper-thin.

It took big balls to kill everybody off at the end, but none of the deaths had any weight behind them.

*Oh shit, that one dude died... what was his name? He looked kinda cool.*
- My exact thoughts on seven different ocassions.

That said, the two scenes of Darth Vader made my IMax ticket price worth it just to see them.

i liked it a lot. the plot was not super thick, but i havent noticed them to be in any star wars movie.

not me, after the last few turds of movies i dont give a fuck anymore

Nope. I watched TFA and regretted it halfway through. Based on TLJ's reviews, I'm glad I didn't watch it. The only good Star Wars movie in the last 30 years is Rogue One, the movie without any Jedis.

I don't recall exactly, was it just Rocky speaking about him in a positive way / remembering him fondly?

Pretty much. Stallone has such a Rocky line where he talks about Paulie being his roommate and is like, "He was my best friend, even though he wasn't that friendly." haha.

The movie that I thought got Paulie absolutely right was Rocky Balboa. Burt Young was great in that.

If i said no, id be lying.

Its star wars, even if its shit I want to know what happens.

There will be some amazing sexy shots.

Star Wars music.

Light sabers.

Im basically that star wars guy taht will see anything star wars, just to see what happens.

But i dont expect it to be great.

Of course I'll watch it but I'm not excited in least for it. Rian Johnson killed every interesting storyline that JJ set up. Last Jedi should have been a continuation and build up from Force Awakens. Instead, it felt like the 3rd movie and left hardly any questions.

JJ has his work cut out to save this.

Back