Any star wars fan not interested in seeing episode 9? **Poll**

Will you be seeing Episode 9 in theaters?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't think it's splitting hairs. Innuendo from people not Kelly Marie Tran about why Kelly Marie Tran deleted her social media is far from an "official" version as far as I'm concerned. Who has given legitimate harassment as the official reason, and does that person (or do those people) have standing to give an official reason in the first place?

She may well have been harassed. There are lots of assholes on the internet.

But maybe she was just criticized, or maybe something else altogether. And maybe a bunch of people saw an Asian person delete her twitter (maybe a bunch of rainbow-haired white people) and decided to ascribe their preferred reasons to the deletion and use her as a mascot.

I don't know. What are the harassing tweets? What was said? How many were there?

Unless Kelly Marie Tran speaks on the topic, or does so through a personal representative, I don't think I'd consider any account of the situation to be "official." And even then, one should apply some judgment and wisdom in his or her reading of that account.

Damn dude.. not everything is a conspiracy or a ploy for a good PR spin.

You might be a tad over the edge on this one.

Don't know what else to say, guess you aren't buying that Rose deleted her social media because of harassment you find other options viable.. okay.

Damn dude.. not everything is a conspiracy or a ploy for a good PR spin.

You might be a tad over the edge on this one.

Don't know what else to say, guess you aren't buying that Rose deleted her social media because of harassment you find other options viable.. okay.

What do you want me to say? I think it's very possible she was harassed and deleted her social media for that reason. But in the absence of any statement, or seeing any such harassment, why would I take it as an official fact?

Why is treating it as a reasonable possibility, under the current circumstances and with the current (lack of) evidence or statement, not sufficient? Why must I go further than that?

What do you want me to say? I think it's very possible she was harassed and deleted her social media for that reason. But in the absence of any statement, or seeing any such harassment, why would I take it as an official fact?

Why is treating it as a reasonable possibility, under the current circumstances and with the current (lack of) evidence or statement, not sufficient? Why must I go further than that?

Alright.

I got nothing left to add. Just responded so you know I've seen the post you don't seem big on this likes things.

I don't mean to sound cliche or what not, but if you're a star wars fan that isn't interested in watch episode 9, then I really do think that you're not a fan in the first place. I'm not trying to instigate some sort of fandom vs. fandom debate. I'm just saying; Did episode 8 somehow erase decades worth of literary content? What about the great games? The original trilogy?

Regardless, I also hold some sort of resentment towards the latest installment, destroying the hype that I carried for ep. 7, 8, and Rogue One. And don't even get me started with Solo. But all the said, as a fan, I ain't a going to whine to the point where I'll boycott the series. That some seriously hateful shit. Get over it. I'm looking forward to seeing Star Wars come back to form.

*** Watch the next one come out and blow everyone away. All the band-wagoners will be back lol
What are you excited about in Episode IX?

I don't mean to sound cliche or what not, but if you're a star wars fan that isn't interested in watch episode 9, then I really do think that you're not a fan in the first place. I'm not trying to instigate some sort of fandom vs. fandom debate. I'm just saying; Did episode 8 somehow erase decades worth of literary content? What about the great games? The original trilogy?

Regardless, I also hold some sort of resentment towards the latest installment, destroying the hype that I carried for ep. 7, 8, and Rogue One. And don't even get me started with Solo. But all the said, as a fan, I ain't a going to whine to the point where I'll boycott the series. That some seriously hateful shit. Get over it. I'm looking forward to seeing Star Wars come back to form.

*** Watch the next one come out and blow everyone away. All the band-wagoners will be back lol
Well said. This same question has riddled me as well.

I don't think this stance is fair to apply to everyone. Lots of people that don't want to see Episode 9 are making that choice out of respect for Episodes 4-6, or Episodes 1-6. After Episode (7 and) 8, they don't want to see the universe and characters further besmirched. How can that be taken as not being a fan?

They are simply saying, "We can't stop you from wrecking Star Wars and Luke Skywalker, but surely we don't have to pay money to watch you do it."

I don't think people not wanting to see the rest of the supposed Terminator: Genisys trilogy means they aren't fans of the first two films. I would almost think that finding a Genisys trilogy satisfactory calls into question one's appreciation of what the series is really supposed to be.

Last edited:
Yes of course I did but you chastized me earlier about making my posts too long so I shortened it up for you.

If you really want to get into it, then lets break it all down. This seems so very obvious to me that I question whether you are trolling me or not... but you actually do come off as sincere... so I'll spend a little time breaking it down.

I'd like to start out by asking you a question which will help clarify where our difference of opinion is:

"Do you think that this poll would've come up with the same "80% nay" result if it were done 7 months ago?" If yes, then please explain why you feel that way when only 30% of the voters back then said they didn't like it.
let's try again

do you understand that the purpose of each poll is to determine 2 separate questions?

one is, ' how do you rate it?' (which is where you get your 30%)

the other is, 'will you watch the next one?'

so now that we understand that the question posed by each poll is NOT the same, do we understand that your argument doesn't make sense?

I dont care about anyone else you're arguing with here. do you understand that the polls are not representing the same thing?

I think he will surprise people with this trilogy finale. I'm hoping he will step up his game and he won't be define by his past work and past complains.

I think you'll be surprised.

maxresdefault.jpg

I hate to say it, but people who will pay for whatever says Star Wars on it are fucking up the franchise and making sure it will always be the same elements in every. single. film.

Let a few of them suck. Pass on a few. Or watch the ideas never advance beyond things we've already seen and parts of stories that have already been told.

I feel ya, but I know I'll go see it just to see what they do

Im a hypocrite cause I feel the same way about most franchises and movies that are out there now that you do about star wars.

But I'll be that guy on reddit all day that it premiers just to get spoilers for the story.

I love star wars to the point im basically a star whore - im that star wars douche bag reading the comics, books, watching rebels and all that shit too just cause I love the universe so much.

Basically im in an abusive relationship, where instead of being the dumb whore being bashed and violently banged by her drunk abusive boyfriend, im being abused by Jar Jar Binks whilst Porgs look on

I don't think this stance is fair to apply to everyone. Lots of people that don't want to see Episode 9 are making that choice out of respect for Episodes 4-6, or Episodes 1-6. After Episode (7 and) 8, they don't want to see the universe and characters further besmirched. How can that be taken as not being a fan?

They are simply saying, "We can't stop you from wrecking Star Wars and Luke Skywalker, but surely we don't have to pay money to watch you do it."

I don't think people not wanting to see the rest of the supposed Terminator: Genisys trilogy means they aren't fans of the first two films. I would almost think that finding a Genisys trilogy satisfactory calls into question one's appreciation of what the series is really supposed to be.

I understand what you're saying, and I will admit that I'm making a subjective arguement, but I must bring up this distinction on to you. To some people Ep. 8 might have been one of the best ones yet. I'll even low ball it here by saying a fair amount of people enjoyed it. That being said, the point I'm making is that you're making a subjective claim that holds no empirical fact indicating the saga is getting tarnished.

Now, if that how you feel then that is true to you. I'll agree with your view of how star wars is getting ruined. But where I will disagree is in the hostile treatment towards the film (and I'm not talking about the Rose controversy). Fans boycotting the next installment are being irrational. Whats to say the next one will suck, or in your terms, be "tarnished?" Yall are applying personal prior restraint to something that hasn't even happened. I just don't find that to be fan behavior. As a fan I'm actually looking forward to seeing what J.J.'s touch can bring about once more. And that's my position as a fan.

Now, if that how you feel then that is true to you. I'll agree with your view of how star wars is getting ruined. But where I will disagree is in the hostile treatment towards the film (and I'm not talking about the Rose controversy). Fans boycotting the next installment are being irrational. Whats to say the next one will suck, or in your terms, be "tarnished?" Yall are applying personal prior restraint to something that hasn't even happened. I just don't find that to be fan behavior. As a fan I'm actually looking forward to seeing what J.J.'s touch can bring about once more. And that's my position as a fan.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. How else are fans of Star Wars to impact what they view as a negative direction of the franchise other than not rewarding the makers of these films with more money for the next movie?

Tarnishing of the franchise doesn't have to be empirically proved. It just has to be believed to have occurred by a fan, who is not supporting that direction of the franchise, to still be considered a fan of what he or she thinks Star Wars is and should be.

Even if a fan liked The Force Awakens while disliking The Last Jedi, JJ's comments toward the fans who didn't like TLJ aren't exactly encouraging.

I feel ya, but I know I'll go see it just to see what they do

Im a hypocrite cause I feel the same way about most franchises and movies that are out there now that you do about star wars.

But I'll be that guy on reddit all day that it premiers just to get spoilers for the story.

I love star wars to the point im basically a star whore - im that star wars douche bag reading the comics, books, watching rebels and all that shit too just cause I love the universe so much.

Basically im in an abusive relationship, where instead of being the dumb whore being bashed and violently banged by her drunk abusive boyfriend, im being abused by Jar Jar Binks whilst Porgs look on
Beautiful, just beautiful

let's try again

do you understand that the purpose of each poll is to determine 2 separate questions?

one is, ' how do you rate it?' (which is where you get your 30%)

the other is, 'will you watch the next one?'

so now that we understand that the question posed by each poll is NOT the same, do we understand that your argument doesn't make sense?

I dont care about anyone else you're arguing with here. do you understand that the polls are not representing the same thing?
It is noted how you avoided my question, & I would consider it disrespectful for you to avoid it again. If this is to be a one sided interrogation then I'm out. In good faith I will answer yours first & expand on it in hopes that you will then answer mine.

I understand they are 2 different but similarly linked questions. Because of their common link there will not be anywhere close to the 50% variance between the results of both polls that you are implying. the reason is due to the percentage of positive vs negative posters who frequent this thread vs. that ratio of people who came into the original thread. This is clearly evidenced by the difference in total votes cast. (ie... 519 vs. 188 ) it is further evidenced in the ratio of positive vs. negative posters who are frequenting this thread now.

I have answered your question & explained my point of view in full. Now please answer mine.
"Do you think that this poll would've come up with the same "80% nay" result if it were done 7 months ago?" If yes, then please explain why you feel that way when only 30% of the voters back then said they didn't like it.

"You're not a real fan (whatever that means) of xyz if you don't like all of it!" is one of if not the laziest, shittiest, arguments that is frequently made defending xyz media (music, film, books, TV, etc). It needs to be permanently put to rest. It's literally a fallacy.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. How else are fans of Star Wars to impact what they view as a negative direction of the franchise other than not rewarding the makers of these films with more money for the next movie?

Tarnishing of the franchise doesn't have to be empirically proved. It just has to be believed to have occurred by a fan, who is not supporting that direction of the franchise, to still be considered a fan of what he or she thinks Star Wars is and should be.

Even if a fan liked The Force Awakens while disliking The Last Jedi, JJ's comments toward the fans who didn't like TLJ aren't exactly encouraging.

Again, I hold no disagreement on your held opinion. But now I ask this;

You say that "how else are the fans of Star Wars to impact what they view as negative direction?" Is ticket sale boycotts the only way? This is flawed reasoning. You are assuming that this is the only way to influence the direction of a film. Have you not noticed the outcry on social media? (without getting into how toxic it was) Also, did you not realize that the direction that TLJ took was in fan reaction to TFA being too similar to the original new hope, done so thru social media? So what did Rian do? I'll leave this at that. Conclusion; Social Media is another means for fans to comment on direction of a film.

Now that I established this, I'll argue that boycotting the film, as an alternative for just taking to social media, actually tarnishes the Star Wars brand worse than Rian did. Sure, Rian did a goof. But the film still made more boat loads of money than you can count, keeping studio confidence up. Now, boycott the film and what will we have? Less and less studio faith in the Star Wars brand, therefore, potentially killing off the whole franchise. Just look at the Justice League. (looks like they might make a comeback with recent ComicCon)

Long story short, boycotting is not the only options fans have to voice their opinion. On top of that, boycotting the franchise could just theoretically kill the franchise. Going back to the original argument on these boycotters not being fans; does potentially killing the franchise sound like something a fan would want to do?

I rest my case.

It is noted how you avoided my question, & I would consider it disrespectful for you to avoid it again. If this is to be a one sided interrogation then I'm out. In good faith I will answer yours first & expand on it in hopes that you will then answer mine.

I understand they are 2 different but similarly linked questions. Because of their common link there will not be anywhere close to the 50% variance between the results of both polls that you are implying. the reason is due to the percentage of positive vs negative posters who frequent this thread vs. that ratio of people who came into the original thread. This is clearly evidenced by the difference in total votes cast. (ie... 519 vs. 188 ) it is further evidenced in the ratio of positive vs. negative posters who are frequenting this thread now.

I have answered your question & explained my point of view in full. Now please answer mine.
sorry bud but if your continual deflection of my question is how it is, then let's just end this here. if you can't see that the poll questions are unquestionably different, or refuse to, that's up to you.

Last edited:
You say that "how else are the fans of Star Wars to impact what they view as negative direction?" Is ticket sale boycotts the only way? This is flawed reasoning. You are assuming that this is the only way to influence the direction of a film. Have you not noticed the outcry on social media? (without getting into how toxic it was) Also, did you not realize that the direction that TLJ took was in fan reaction to TFA being too similar to the original new hope, done so thru social media? So what did Rian do? I'll leave this at that. Conclusion; Social Media is another means for fans to comment on direction of a film.

Why would fans think voicing their opinions on social media is an effective avenue to effect change when those opinions are met with claims by the director and crew that they are manbabies, scared of women, toxic and such? And an announcement of a Rian Johnson trilogy? And Johnson defending his story choices by criticizing George Lucas?

Why would fans think voicing their opinions on social media is an effective avenue to effect change when those opinions are met with claims by the director and crew that they are manbabies, scared of women, toxic and such? And an announcement of a Rian Johnson trilogy? And Johnson defending his story choices by criticizing George Lucas?

I have mounting work so I have to leave you hanging for now. BUT! I didn't want to get into the toxic behavior argument but you took it there. Why wouldn't some of the directors and producers show negative reaction towards the blatant hostile and possibly illegal comments they've been receiving? (death threats) I have my own personal theory that these are not fan but rather a small and toxic vocal minority.

I'll be back to tomorrow to continue this game of tennis. gn ;) <3

I have mounting work so I have to leave you hanging for now. BUT! I didn't want to get into the toxic behavior argument but you took it there. Why wouldn't some of the directors and producers show negative reaction towards the blatant hostile and possibly illegal comments they've been receiving? (death threats) I have my own personal theory that these are not fan but rather a small and toxic vocal minority.

I'll be back to tomorrow to continue this game of tennis. gn ;) <3

I took it there? How could you possibly think calling the fans toxic wouldn't come up when you ask a question like why the fans wouldn't think voicing their criticism would lead to effective change?

I understand what you're saying, and I will admit that I'm making a subjective arguement, but I must bring up this distinction on to you. To some people Ep. 8 might have been one of the best ones yet. I'll even low ball it here by saying a fair amount of people enjoyed it. That being said, the point I'm making is that you're making a subjective claim that holds no empirical fact indicating the saga is getting tarnished.

tenor.gif

Thank you for coming in here & expressing your point of view like this. Most of the people who are positive about the new movies are outnumbered in these threads because the rest of the positive people don't have any need to field this kind of resistance... & so most people who are positive about the new Star Wars just don't come in here any more.

you can get a like minded convo out of me though.

Obviously I disagree with most of your points of view regarding the new Star Wars movies.... but I will say that I can relate to what you are saying here regarding the idea that you are still a fan of the old movies... you just don't like where they're going in modern day. So a generalized statement that you aren't "true" fans if you can't wait for the finale before passing final judgement... is a little harsh. I personally agree with Jabba The Punk that you guyz are jumping the gun... but you are correct that we can't take your enjoyment of the original trilogy away just because you don't like the new one... or the prequel Trilogy... or the clone wars cartoon or the rebels series.... & you don't read the comics, or the novels, & you don't want to hear anything outside of the cinemas that isn't explained in the movies.

lol... on second thought... you know what... y'all are just a bunch of filthy casualz. :p Go watch the original trilogy while the rest of us are discussing important stuff about new canon & leave us alone in here while we getting excited about the new series that's about to be released... & the Poe comics that extended TLJ past its ending... & the new Vader series comic that's been amazing & nearing conclusion.. & I'm excited about the new Obi-Wan/Qui-gon Jinn novel that's about to drop... & meanwhile you all can sit here in your squaller & reminisce about how the original series is the only fooking Star Wars content that you ever enjoyed

<bball2>

Sorry, maybe I should've sobered up before I pushed that "post repy" button.... lol. I ain't really mad at y'all... I just wish you weren't so over the top. There's actually people in these threads who would like to have decent positive convos about star wars... but me & Jabba the Punk can't get linked up because we're too busy fielding questions from you guys who just hate everything but the original trilogy.

Last edited:
Back