Any star wars fan not interested in seeing episode 9? **Poll**

Will you be seeing Episode 9 in theaters?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
You have an awful lot of free time on your hands so why not. And the review one was 50 pages.
lol... I got off work at 9 p.m. tonight & am sitting here bullshitting with you about start wars while I unwind & haven't even taken a shower yet.

Your point of view about me is just as twisted as your point of view about Star Wars. You just spew sh*t regardless of whether it is true... or regardless of whether you actually believe it or not. Fact is that you don't know the first thing about me... & based on what I've read, you don't know the first thing about star wars either. :eek:<Eek2.0>:eek:

You have an awful lot of free time on your hands so why not. And the review one was 50 pages.
We're talking about the one with the original poll from when the first movie came out.

I have Sherdog set to 50 posts per page & that thread is 109 pages long.

109 x 50 = 5,450 posts that you want me to look through in order to go on your hater scavenger hunt for no reward other than once again showing you how you & your posse are twisting reality.

I appreciate your generous opportunity but I will pass.:rolleyes:

Let me ask ya a question...

Why do you think their ISN'T this kind of "which hunt" for Avengers Infinite War?
I don't know that there isn't. If there is not in fact a similar backlash then I would assume it's because Thanos waz made out to be a big bad that poeple can live vicariously through.. & none of the major superheros were made to be a vulnerable as Luke was made to be.

I think the heart of your question is why does TLJ have this backlash & the answer is obviously that people have been living vicariously through the legend of Luke Skywalker & now that he was made have issues & problems, the illusion was shattered & their subconscious icon of power & goodness was made to be as simple as we are.

It's hilarious that you're making a stand about there being more than a few dozen people who don't like the movie. Isn't that obvious?

You reckon maybe I'm just being a bit over the top with that statement as an answer to your posse being so over the top?

Everyone just needs to chill. until that happens... I'm going to say wtf I want about the resistance because they are obviously going into excess & I'm just giving them a taste of their own medicine.

I think everything youve said sonfar has a been a bit over the top. So until you come back down to earth and make more sensible arguments, im gonna have tontreat every pile of shit youve posted as fact to how your brain works.

That's not true at all. He was easy to get frustrated & complain about stuff. he ended up on Ahch-To complaining & being frustrated about stuff. When Vader threatened to turn Leia... he went crazy on his own father & damn near killed him before coming to his senses. Same thing that happened when he realized his nephew was going to kill everyone he loved.

Despite his momentary lapses of reason, he always rocked up & made it happen in the end. Same thing he did in TLJ.

What exactly is it that you think is any different with the Luke that was portrayed in TLJ? Seems like the same to me

Well where do i start?

How about the inconsistencies between where Luke was in TFA to that of TLJ...

- Han said Luke was off to look for some last jedi temple or something, suddenly he's now living on a rock to die?
- Luke made a map detailing where he would be, yet suddenly he's mad that people USED the map to go find him?
- Lukes the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy which is why Rei needed his help, woops never mind! Rei just bested him in a stick fight...never mind then!
- Luke is finally reunited with Chewie...he acts annoyed? Wtf?

I mean I could go through the idiocy of most of his scenes as being a mix between something serious followed up by some lame Disney joke...but that's not his character.

But the big one for me is that Luke was always hopeful, always optimistic. He put everything on the line to save his father because he sensed a sliver of good left in him. Now suddenly 30 years later and SUBVERSION we are suppose to suddenly buy into the idea that not only did Luke go all reverse a role and decided he needed to KILL his nephew because he felt a sliver of evil in him...but that instead of rebounding and picking himself up from the muck like he's always done...he's decided to go wallow on a rock and die? Sorry your explanations to this don't work for me or anyone else.

To answer your question as to why the Avengers hit it's mark and Star Wars didn't is because the Avengers HIT IT'S MARK.

People wanted to watch a movie where all these characters shared scenes and interacted true to their characters as they faced a big obstacle together. Add to the fact that Thano's was well written and his story wasn't so completely shallow and devoid of character and you got a great movie. It's that fucking simple. There was subversion but it was at the end watching Thano's win. It wasn't the introduction that now Tony Stark is a post Op tranny named Shiela. Nobody would have been happy with that. Tony and the rest of the characters were as they were when we left them last. And while 30 years had gone by in Star Wars, you can't drastically alter your characters without detailing a backstory to the audience that explains how they got there. And the further strayed off the beaten path, the better that fucking explanation needs to be. And the weak ass one in TLJ didn't cut it. Hell it didn't even synch up with what JJ had set up in TFA...

If Rian Johnson had directed Infinity War, Tony would stop having funny one liners, he would be old and miserable and not appealing to the audience in the least bit...and Thanos would have died in the second act and Loki would be set up to be the big baddie...again. Even though we've already like beat the shit out of him. several times.

Oh and black widow would be the strongest avenger because she has a vagina.

Subversion!

Well where do i start?

How about the inconsistencies between where Luke was in TFA to that of TLJ...

- Han said Luke was off to look for some last jedi temple or something, suddenly he's now living on a rock to die?
- Luke made a map detailing where he would be, yet suddenly he's mad that people USED the map to go find him?
- Lukes the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy which is why Rei needed his help, woops never mind! Rei just bested him in a stick fight...never mind then!
- Luke is finally reunited with Chewie...he acts annoyed? Wtf?
21jnvl.jpg

1. That is where the temple was
2. ? WTF are you talking about? Him making the map shows he wasn't full on out of the fight. It's exactly the opposite point you're trying to make.
3. Luke clearly won the stick fight & wasn't even trying that hard. Light saber vs. stick... not so much, but again, it's not like he was in a real fight.
4. Didn't happen. I'm sure his door flying off the hinges was a bit of a shock.
But the big one for me is that Luke was always hopeful, always optimistic. He put everything on the line to save his father because he sensed a sliver of good left in him. Now suddenly 30 years later and SUBVERSION we are suppose to suddenly buy into the idea that not only did Luke go all reverse a role and decided he needed to KILL his nephew because he felt a sliver of evil in him...but that instead of rebounding and picking himself up from the muck like he's always done...he's decided to go wallow on a rock and die? Sorry your explanations to this don't work for me or anyone else.
He was not alwayz hopeful & optimistic. You don't even know what you're talking about... & he did not "decide" to kill his nephew... it was an impulse he had when he got a glimpse of what Ben would become. Same exact thing happened when Pops threatened to convert Leia. He did pick himself up from the muck. Don't look now but he saved the rebels.
People wanted to watch a movie where all these characters shared scenes and interacted true to their characters as they faced a big obstacle together. Add to the fact that Thano's was well written and his story wasn't so completely shallow and devoid of character and you got a great movie. It's that fucking simple.
Lol... his entire reasoning for wanting to destroy half of the life in the universe is because of a couple examples of over population. What about the planets that have no problem with that? They still lost half their people. What about the planets who were underpopulated & their civilization suffered because there were no longer enough people.

I'm not some hypercritical maniac like yourself though.... & I can enjoy the Avengers without being put off by its obvious problems. Lol at the snap killing spidey & he's got another movie out with an entire series set to follow. It's such an anti climactic end to a movie. I'm not bitching endlessly about it though. How about the Wakanda shield giving way to so much bombardment by the dogs that they get through? Not only that... but they're getting through en mass. lol... FFS that's weak as fook. I'm not sitting around bitching endlessly about it. You gotta give these fantasy adventures a bit of room to play out if you expect to enjoy anything imo.

People are pissed at TLJ because Luke was made to look human & had human problems. Same movie... & Luke is a rock star & all this backlash would not have ever existed.

And while 30 years had gone by in Star Wars, you can't drastically alter your characters without detailing a backstory to the audience that explains how they got there. And the further strayed off the beaten path, the better that fucking explanation needs to be. And the weak ass one in TLJ didn't cut it. Hell it didn't even synch up with what JJ had set up in TFA...
As I mentioned earlier... Luke is pretty much the same as he's always been. nobody focused on that though. They just focused on living vicariously through his power & that was undercut at the start of the movie & then shown in a full on awesome show of power in the end that saved what was left of the rebels.

Let me ask ya a question...

Why do you think their ISN'T this kind of "which hunt" for Avengers Infinite War?
Probably because that movie was good.

{<hhh]

21jnvl.jpg

1. That is where the temple was
2. ? WTF are you talking about? Him making the map shows he wasn't full on out of the fight. It's exactly the opposite point you're trying to make.
3. Luke clearly won the stick fight & wasn't even trying that hard. Light saber vs. stick... not so much, but again, it's not like he was in a real fight.
4. Didn't happen. I'm sure his door flying off the hinges was a bit of a shock.

Him making a map was JJ keeping him in the fight. Rian dismissed the map and gave us a luke who was pissed off Rei found him and was bothering him. His own words "I came here to die" is pretty much some grumpy old guy leaving the fight...

Luke didn't win the stick fight. You don't win a stick fight when your opponent is towering over you threatening while holding a laser sword. Anything else is just your imagination say "well he could have won if he really super duper wanted too!"

He lost thought. He lost because the force is female.

He was not alwayz hopeful & optimistic. You don't even know what you're talking about... & he did not "decide" to kill his nephew... it was an impulse he had when he got a glimpse of what Ben would become. Same exact thing happened when Pops threatened to convert Leia. He did pick himself up from the muck. Don't look now but he saved the rebels.

No...sorry, he was always hopeful and optimistic.

In a New Hope he was dragging Han around getting him to save the princess, and then tried to convince him to help attack the death star. And one of the first character traits we learn from Luke was that he was excited that the droids were part of the rebellion against the alliance.
In Empire when he realized Han and Leia were in danger he wanted to go save them immediately knowing he would likely have to face vader and wasn't ready.
In Return he altered his mission from helping Han and Leia take out the shield on Endor, to that of rescuing his father.

All those small scenes you describe, are not counters to who Luke was. His main motivations were to fight with the rebellion and help his friends whenever they were in danger. That's who he was.

Lol... his entire reasoning for wanting to destroy half of the life in the universe is because of a couple examples of over population. What about the planets that have no problem with that? They still lost half their people. What about the planets who were underpopulated & their civilization suffered because there were no longer enough people.

I'm not some hypercritical maniac like yourself though.... & I can enjoy the Avengers without being put off by its obvious problems. Lol at the snap killing spidey & he's got another movie out with an entire series set to follow. It's such an anti climactic end to a movie. I'm not bitching endlessly about it though. How about the Wakanda shield giving way to so much bombardment by the dogs that they get through? Not only that... but they're getting through en mass. lol... FFS that's weak as fook. I'm not sitting around bitching endlessly about it. You gotta give these fantasy adventures a bit of room to play out if you expect to enjoy anything imo.

You missed the entire point. You know? The one I was making about EXPECTATIONS.

People are pissed at TLJ because Luke was made to look human & had human problems. Same movie... & Luke is a rock star & all this backlash would not have ever existed.

As I mentioned earlier... Luke is pretty much the same as he's always been. nobody focused on that though. They just focused on living vicariously through his power & that was undercut at the start of the movie & then shown in a full on awesome show of power in the end that saved what was left of the rebels.

Again, he was always human and had flaws. People are pissed off for lots of reasons...bad writing, weak characters...a mixed up plot that clearly has political agendas and yes...it also wrote Luke Skywalkwer so far out of his old character to the point it was insulting. Again...it would be like getting excited to see Tony Stark play Iron Man in Infinite war and getting stoked about his possible interactions with Dr Strange or StarLord...and instead he's a drunk who won't leave a bar because he's emotionally destroyed over stuff that happened in between the two movies that don't make sense.

That's not true at all. He was easy to get frustrated & complain about stuff. he ended up on Ahch-To complaining & being frustrated about stuff. When Vader threatened to turn Leia... he went crazy on his own father & damn near killed him before coming to his senses. Same thing that happened when he realized his nephew was going to kill everyone he loved.

Despite his momentary lapses of reason, he always rocked up & made it happen in the end. Same thing he did in TLJ.

What exactly is it that you think is any different with the Luke that was portrayed in TLJ? Seems like the same to me

Part of it is a more obvious version of the issues I have with Han in TFA, basically the film lifts plot elements from the originals but in order to get them to work it needs to remove wisdom the characters learnt in the originals. They do this is a poor written arbitrary fashion though for me that's wholly unbelievable following on from the originals, indeed I personally think the target audience for these sequels tends to be those with only a very casual memory of the originals taking it for granted the more hardcore fanbase will always turn up.

Part of it is a more obvious version of the issues I have with Han in TFA, basically the film lifts plot elements from the originals but in order to get them to work it needs to remove wisdom the characters learnt in the originals. They do this is a poor written arbitrary fashion though for me that's wholly unbelievable following on from the originals, indeed I personally think the target audience for these sequels tends to be those with only a very casual memory of the originals taking it for granted the more hardcore fanbase will always turn up.
The whole "Han and Leia are the exact same people! After...... decades" approach sucked. People grow and change, and it didn't feel like these characters had grown at all while they were offscreen. Then we see Luke and he's like a completely different person, with the explanation that he hit some adversity and just completely regressed.

Like... really? Young Luke had to go through his mentors both dying, getting maimed by Vader, finding out his dad was a Satan allegory, etc. And that only strengthened his resolve. Then as an older. wiser man, he just completely gives up at the first sign of adversity? What the fuck.

The whole "Han and Leia are the exact same people! After...... decades" approach sucked. People grow and change, and it didn't feel like these characters had grown at all while they were offscreen. Then we see Luke and he's like a completely different person, with the explanation that he hit some adversity and just completely regressed.

Like... really? Young Luke had to go through his mentors both dying, getting maimed by Vader, finding out his dad was a Satan allegory, etc. And that only strengthened his resolve. Then as an older. wiser man, he just completely gives up at the first sign of adversity? What the fuck.

Subversion!

Subversion!
It's like if you were having a birthday party, and some lunatic ran up and dropped a deuce on your cake. Subverted your expectations, huh!

Well yes, you psycho.

<34>

It's like if you were having a birthday party, and some lunatic ran up and dropped a deuce on your cake. Subverted your expectations, huh!

Well yes, you psycho.

<34>
Fecal subversion

Indeed, the film basically recycles plot elements from the originals and reverses the outcomes which makes very little sense. I mean Luke becoming hubristic in his old age could be believable if sold well but it really wasn't at all, we saw nothing of him pre Kylo failure.

That does I think go back to just how poor TFA was for me, it ran away from all the real challenges of a true starwars sequel and did a clumsy rehash of ANH instead, what you get for knowingly hiring an overrated hack of a director.

Last edited:
Luke didn't win the stick fight. You don't win a stick fight when your opponent is towering over you threatening while holding a laser sword. Anything else is just your imagination say "well he could have won if he really super duper wanted too!"

If Rey was holding a lazer sword then Luke did not lose a "stick fight." When both of them had sticks.... Luke was tooling her.

He lost thought. He lost because the force is female.

lol... we'll just have to disagree on this. imo he lost because he wasn't really trying to win & it wasn't a real fight. Based on how he beat master staff fighter Rey in a stick fight... I'd say that he would handily beat her saber vs saber.... & likely if he really felt his life was in danger he could've used some major force action. These are the things that seem so obvious that it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time even explaining this to you.

All those small scenes you describe, are not counters to who Luke was. His main motivations were to fight with the rebellion and help his friends whenever they were in danger. That's who he was.

He also had those self defeating tendencies in him that just surfaced for the last couple of years.

We're talking about him leaving the fight for a couple of years. He was actually doing all those things with training Jedi & stuff, but he failed & everyone got killed. Not only that... he realized the Jedi religion wasn't what he thought it was & so doubting his religion is like being lost in itself.

Even after all that.... when the chips were down, he rocked up & saved the day. I just don't see why people have such a big problem with it. Your posse seems to just ignore the end of the movie like Luke didn't rock up & be everything we wanted him to be.

Like you said though... it's "expectation." & it's like I have said countless times on this forum... it's "pretense." Once you drop that stuff & accept what happened you see the movie how it was intended... & you might actually appreciate how Luke rocked up in the end instead of ignoring it.

and I think you're wrong.
this poll has 161 total votes

You think the 356 people who are above the "didn't like" threshold are still in here? No they are not. It's very obvious to see by the responses that most of the people who liked the movie don't want to be exposed to this.

voting-thread-tlj-jpg.409675

519 people voted
356 (68.59%) voted from 5 – 10 which is neutral to loved it.
163 (31.41%) voted 4 or below. 5 is neutral… so 163 people voted that they didn’t like it.

Attachments

• Voting thread TLJ.JPG
    Voting thread TLJ.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 44
this poll has 161 total votes

You think the 356 people who are above the "didn't like" threshold are still in here? No they are not. It's very obvious to see by the responses that most of the people who liked the movie don't want to be exposed to this.

voting-thread-tlj-jpg.409675

519 people voted
356 (68.59%) voted from 5 – 10 which is neutral to loved it.
163 (31.41%) voted 4 or below. 5 is neutral… so 163 people voted that they didn’t like it.

Buddy

I love ya

But you're letting this stuff ruin your life

Some people liked this movie, some people didn't...

Same with any movies or anything

I know someone who totally hates fried chicken

We're still friends.

I think you need to go for a walk and hug a tree

I believe I personally voiced my disappointment after watching the movie opening night. as did many others.

just because you've been back and forth for what seems like hundreds of pages with people who dont like the movie in the past few months doesn't mean that these people only voiced their displeasure 8 months after the movie came out. I'm pretty sure if we revisit the official thread right after it came out, there were plenty of people who disliked the movie. just like I'm sure there plenty who did like it.

you're issue is that you're dealing with an absolute that the people that you are arguing/disagreeing with are people who are trolling and despite your best efforts to convince them otherwise MUST be trolling or 'resisting' because you believe this movie was good. your insistence page after page that someone else's critique of this movie can be nothing other than trolling and are plain wrong, because you like this movie makes you no more right, or them or wrong.
You are twisting what I say & making it out like I generalize star wars haters as trolls. The fact is that I call people trolls when it feels like they are trolling me & I do not call them that when I feel that they are not trolling me. Some of the stuff people say is so over the top that there isn't much more of an explanation.

I also never said that everyone changed their minds. You are again making me out to be something I'm not. I told one person that that who gave it a 6 & he himself said that he changed his mind. I found it likely that the Circle of Haterz on Sherdog had a big part in making him such a cynic. It's understandable for someone to think about a movie & then change their mind... but d3throned is one of the main haters now. I found it pretty believable that he just bought into all this haterade that's going around after first giving a vote that the movie was decent.

No you are here trying to generalize what I said as if I say that all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back